Propecia Limitations

Luminal

Hello all,

I have a hair loss problem on the front only. Right above my forehead and above my temples. The rest of my head is perfectly fine.

I have been taking Propecia for about a year and a half and my hair loss has not stopped but my dermatologist told me to continue taking it because it is the best thing that exists right now.

However, I recently went to see a transplant doctor and he told me that neither Minoxidil nor Propecia can restore hair loss in the front part of the scalp and that I could continue taking propecia but i am really wasting my money.

Does anybody have any knowledge or experience that could corroborate this?

Thanks,

Luminal

Hi Luminal, I'm certain you'll not find an individual, professional or otherwise, that will give you a 100% guarantee that Propecia doesn't work for the front of the scalp. My guess is that the responses you receive will vary greatly from no help to good results. My personal experience with Propecia goes something like this: Hair loss at the time of initial treatment-general thinning throughout the entire top for about 5 years and then started Propecia in January '99. Good responder after only six weeks of treatment. Grew decent crown coverage and maintained hair throughout affected areas for approximately 5+ years. Begin to lose effectiveness at around year 5 and have since switched to Avodart in January of '07.

I've read many posts on the experience others have shared when talking about Propecia. I think the bottom line for you is...the medicine has not worked in a year and a half so chances are you will not see any benefit. That being the said, chances are Avodart will not work as well. However, Minoxidil works differently than both Propecia and Avodart and I have no personal experience with that medication. Perahps others can share their input on that topic. I do know that some posters here use it religiously. Good luck to you.

Luminal -

Here, take a look at this thread - Now these are the BEST Propecia results I've ever seen so I totally disagree with the statement that Propecia can't restore hair in front or on top. Now he used Propecia and Minox so maybe you should try them together. Also, I've been using it for almost 1 year and have shown minor regrowth along the hairline.

"Not so bad" has a point.............if it hasn't worked for you in 1 1/2 years I'm not sure it will. Then again, maybe it has been working for you in slowing your loss..........who knows for sure. You may want to add Minox to the mix for 1 year or so to see if it helps. Also, you may try consulting with one of the HT docs recommended here (or a couple) for a second or third opinion.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.