ReadyForChange's HT: Dr. Rahal, 4069 Grafts FUT, December 11 2008

Hi all:

To start off with, I want to sincerely thank the website and the forums. It's not easy making the decision to have a HT, but this site's feedback, testimonials and general support really helped me in making an informed choice.

I chose Dr. Rahal after many months of deliberation and finally had my big day on Dec 11, 2008. I had a previous HT in 2004 for 500 grafts and some correction was required. My experience with Dr. Rahal was stellar; his staff was excellent and the man himself is one of the nicest and most sincere I've come across. Overall, my session was 12 hours long, but time flew by with 3 seasons of Seinfeld to watch. Preop, Adrian's follow up was ridiculously quick. Postop, Dr. Rahal has been very attentive and answered all my inane questions and put my mind at ease several times.

Please visit my weblog: My Hair Restoration Weblog

It is day 13 and the healing process is going well. I do have some of the following concerns though:

1. Density seems to be low in my day 4 and day 7 pics in comparison to day 1. Is this normal? I only ask because the difference is considerable.

2. Does the level of crusting in day 4 and day 7 pics seem a bit on the high side? I only ask because I don't see similar results with other postings or weblogs.

There are 'valleys' and some clumping, but I'm told that its completely normal. Pease don't misunderstand me; I'm not unhappy, just concerned. I'm a worry wart by nature and I've been home the entire time and have nothing better to do than to obsess about my HT results. Time cannot fly soon enough and what's done is done. I only hope the results 6-8 months from now are worth the pain and efforts of today. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

Sincerely,

ReadyForChange

Dr. Rahal - 4069 Grafts - December 11, 2008

1's - 720, 2's - 2197, 3's - 1152 = Total Hair - 8570

Proscar 1 mg - Rogaine 5% - Nizoral 1% (3 times a week)

My Hair Loss WebLog

ready for change,

it looks like you will have very nice density. are you following dr. rahal's post-op instructions? those grafts should be fully secure after 8 days and you definitely want to start cautiously washing those scabs off in the shower. good growing to you!

I am the owner/operator of AHEAD INK a Scalp Micropigmentation Company in Fort Lee, New Jersey. www.aheadink.com

Thank you hairthere; appreciate the vote of confidence. I'm following the instructions down to a tee. The swelling has gone so I'm back to sleeping normally. Washing recepient and donor areas with baby shampoo twice a day, oiling twice a day. I'm applying polysporin once a day to the crusted areas to prevent infection. I've avoided all contact with the recepient area (other than gently applying the polysporin with a clean finger). I even quit smoking a few months back to prep for this and ensure that I would heal right. Am I missing anything?

My Hair Loss WebLog

Ready for Change

Looks great! I guess its a matter of time to see the results! I will be having my first HT with Rahal on January 12th (3500). Im glad to hear him and his staff are fantastic! I much like yourself am hoping ot have results much like all the other Rahal patients on this site!

Good luck to you!

Buba

Canadian_buba

3500 Grafts

Dr. Rahal

Jan 12 09

My Hair Loss WebLog

Canadian Buba:

The fact that you are on this forum shows that you have done your homework and chosen wisely. Good luck to you on the 12th and keep us posted with your results. Don't forget to be regular with your laxity exercises.

My Hair Loss WebLog

ReadyforChange,

Congratulations on your recent hair transplant. You are going to be one hairy beast by the time it all grows in - and it will also look much more natural.

Everything looks very normal at this stage. The crusting is also normal.

By the summer I'm beting you'll be pretty ecstatic about the progress of your hair transplant.

All the Best and Happy Holidays!

Bill

Everything you are talking about is completely normal...keep on obsessing as we are all doing it as well.

the crusts and valleys will continue for a little while, then the shed will begin with the crusts exit and make it look like you didn't get any grafts at all.

Happy healing and keep us updated. Looks like some serious dense packing!!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Thanks DeDom. The goal was closer to 3500, but my donor area was a tricky case. Dr. Rahal took a 22 sq cm donor strip, but that also included my previous HT scar (see attached pic). I had pretty decent density and ended up with 4069 grafts instead. I'm not terribly concerned since I have about 7-8 K donor hair left which should provide decent coverage for future hairloss (though I am on propecia and rogaine, so fingers crossed).

IMG_4202CR.JPG.062dd3def0b71d22aebbaf6cb816438c.JPG

My Hair Loss WebLog

Readyforchange:

I think all is normal so far. At this point, the grafts are settled, so you should try to remove those scabs as much as possible by massaging it. Also, you can wash your hair normally now, don't need to be gentle.

You had a very nasty scar from your previous HT. How did it happen? On top of this, you had pluggy hairs. Where did you go for HT 1? It is important if you document this so readers can be warned about this doctor.

I am glad dr. Rahal is correcting all of these errors for you.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Thanks Latinotus! My first HT was with the Hair Transplant Center of Tulsa (aka Tulsa Hair Clinic) which is where I got the scar and the pluggy look.

Hair Transplant Center of Tulsa Link

Their claim to fame is nurse Betty Ann Studier who worked with Dr. Norwood in coming up with the Norwood scale in 1967. I had the HT in 2004; the results speak for themselves. I was disappointed in the results to say the least and I'm so very glad I did my homework the second time around; this site was invaluable.

My Hair Loss WebLog

This Tulsa clinic is promoting on price, and the saying: 'you get what you paid for' is so appropriate. Even the best results shown on their web site are mediocre...

Let this be a warning for those who are planning to use price as a criteria in choosing a doctor.

I am not a doctor. The opinions and comments are of my own.

HT with Dr. Cooley on Nov 20, 2008

2097 grafts, 3957 hairs

Proscar, 1.25 mg daily, skip the 5th day, started Nov 2007

My Hair Loss Blog - Hair Transplant with Dr. Cooley

Question: Since multiple people have recommended that I massage out the scabs, I was wondering what the drawback of having the scabs hang around and drop naturally (eventually) are? Is there a negative to having the scabs other than the nasty appearance?

Also, does it matter much if I massage wet or dry?

My Hair Loss WebLog

Thank you all for the good wishes, encoragement and advice. Its day 18 and I took Eman's advice and buzzed my hair down to be level; I don't scare little children as much anymore icon_smile.gif. I've also shed majority of the scabbing and crusting (and with is, a LOT of my hair). No doubt shock loss is in play as well.

I've posted new pics on my weblog; please do take a look when you get a chance. The redness is mild and I'm hoping it won't get worse (especially since I'm starting on aloe). I tried the rogaine but it burned so I stopped for now and will revisit in a few days. I'm thin on top and am expecting to get thinner, so I bought a fedora to prepare icon_wink.gif

The weblog only allowed 6 pictures, so I attached the 7th to this posting.

Thanks,

front.thumb.JPG.70437c6e9b97a126b6ef203e00731530.JPG

My Hair Loss WebLog

The buzz down looks GREAT!! How does it feel?

I can see you are beginning to clump or if you look in Dr. Rahal's post-op instructions, "Valleys" have formed. Once you start the shedding and the crusts fall off everything will even out.

The pinkness should only get better in the recipient as it should on the donor. It just takes time. And good luck trying to keep the recipient area from getting dry in this wonderful CHi-town weather we are having and like we talked about the chemicals in the water.

Happy Healing!

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm at the 1 month mark (30 days) and I've updated my weblog with new pictures. I've lost all my grafts and I'm seeing considerable shock loss in the recipient area. I'm seeing some loss in my crown (which was untouched) and wanted to know if that was normal or expected?

I've got pimples on my forehead and some on my recipient area, but I'll live. Time just can't fly by fast enough. I wonder how far they've come with cryogenics icon_smile.gif

My Hair Loss WebLog

Thanks Dabuski! I did switch from dutasteride to proscar. Dutasteride is not for everyone, and about 18 months in, I started to see a noticable difference in my sex drive. I consulted a urologist and he suggested I go off dutasteride for a few months (half life is 14 days with dutasteride). I did and the difference was day and night. I've been on proscar ever since and have not had any issues with it.

It's an icky subject, but young men (I was 25 at the time) need to know that these drugs can affect your hormonal equilibrium. I mean hair is great and I'll go to great lengths to keep it on my head, but I'd rather be 100% bald than forego my sex life.

My Hair Loss WebLog