6 month post op - hair is different

Hey everyone,

Coming up to 6 months post op with Dr. Wong, and so far I am fairly happy with the new growth.

However, while my new hairline has hair and appears fuller, the hairs themselves are of different lengths and are sort of curly and coarse - almost like they've been fried...they always stand up too, the hair is not laying flat.

Just wondering if this is normal and if it will change with time...also wondering if at 6 months, I can expect to see any more new growth?

Thanks everyone.

Hey everyone,

Coming up to 6 months post op with Dr. Wong, and so far I am fairly happy with the new growth.

However, while my new hairline has hair and appears fuller, the hairs themselves are of different lengths and are sort of curly and coarse - almost like they've been fried...they always stand up too, the hair is not laying flat.

Just wondering if this is normal and if it will change with time...also wondering if at 6 months, I can expect to see any more new growth?

Thanks everyone.

baldeagele,

6 months is very early, still; as far as growth estimations, at 6 months you are only 50-60% of the final results of the HT; the hairs will continue to thicken, thus providing more coverage; also the hairs will "mature" and become more manageable over time--they will "blend in", if you will, with the native hair in the area; wait a full year before evalutating the results; also the HT hairs will continue to mature and become more manageable up to 2 years post-op;

Yep..........what dhoose75 said. In time the hair will eventually match the characteristics of your native hair (since that's what it is!). Some people experience this and some don't but it is perfectly normal.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

baldeagle11, Do you use Pomade or gel on your hair now? It helps with the flyaways some. It's really about getting it on with just the right amount so it doesn't leave your hair looking thin but will control it.

Dakota, my doc was Dr. Feller. Now, bear in mind that the hair he put in gew quickly and is healthy, just... unmanageable. I'm not worried, and I expect this is likely to happen with any doctor, and I expected it to be this way for at least 2 years post-op.

Truth be told, who cares? I just keep it a bit shorter so it doesn't need a lot of styling. And it's slowly starting to become less coarse anyway.