"Pairing" grafts... common for HT patients?

I had a hair transplant 3 weeks ago with Dr. Keene. Because she was out of state, I had to wait for my "in person" consult until the day before surgery. She of course looked at the donor area but nothing was said about its "possible yield", nor did I ask. After the procedure, she mentioned that she had to "pair up" some grafts in the frontal area. Now looking back, I assume this meant I had a minimal amount of "threes and fours" for her to work with. Therefore at 2500 grafts, I may not achieve the results I'd hope for.

Anyone else have a similar situation in which "pairings" were used? If so, did the amount per graft double?

Thanks

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

I had a hair transplant 3 weeks ago with Dr. Keene. Because she was out of state, I had to wait for my "in person" consult until the day before surgery. She of course looked at the donor area but nothing was said about its "possible yield", nor did I ask. After the procedure, she mentioned that she had to "pair up" some grafts in the frontal area. Now looking back, I assume this meant I had a minimal amount of "threes and fours" for her to work with. Therefore at 2500 grafts, I may not achieve the results I'd hope for.

Anyone else have a similar situation in which "pairings" were used? If so, did the amount per graft double?

Thanks

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Yes, Midiman, it sounds like you had an excess of one's.

I'm pretty sure you were only charged for one graft where pairings occurred. If Dr. Keene makes 2500 holes to insert grafts into, she is going to charge for 2500 grafts.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I had my HT 3 weeks ago with DR Martinick in Sydney Australia i had the same thing, since i had alot of 1`s and 2`s and very few 3`s and 4`s she put 1`s and 2`s together to make 3`s and 4`s i was lucky too went in for 1500 grafts got 1700, BOO YA!!! now my question is when sge did the op for 1500 grafts, before the procedure she asked for 2500 FU`s can anyone shed some light on the difference?

We Can only Play the cards we are dealt

http://www.hairlossweblogs.com/home-page.asp?WebID=95

Midiman,

We "pair up" grafts on many occassions. If you use the one's to fill the frontal hairline and have extra ones left, the doctor might decide to pair two ones into one incision to give you more density rather than make two incisions for the two one's (I hope that made sense). Dr. Keene does great work and she knows how to get the max out of your donor. I'm sure you will be happy with the outcome.

Thanks Janna for the vote of confidence, I appreciate it. Due to shedding, I don't have a lot of evidence left of the procedure so it's hard to tell how she patterned it. However, I agree with you that her expertise should yield a fine result.

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog