pls help me

hi guys,

i am 24 yrs old male from india. i have been suffering severe hair loss since 2 yrs. i tried various treatments to stop hair fall but i responded to none. i did try rogaine for 4 months. surprisingly my hair fall slowed down to a great extent. as i was reaping the benefits of rogaine i became a victim of its side effect as well. i started to grow unwanted hair on my forehead and face. on consulting the doctor he advised me to discontinue the treatment, which i fonldy obliged because the last thing i want is unwanted hair on face . as of now i have thick hair on the sides and back of my head. the top portion has become very thin(almost see thru).at my present rate of hair fall i feel the portion would be clean and cleared out in a year or max 2 if i am very lucky. my present hair state has dented my confidence. i think about it all the time and getting stressed out and in turn losing hair at a faster rate. i am pretty much certain that my head wont react to any medicines, and that leaves me to just 2 options hair transplant and hair systems. at 24 i feel very young for transplant and i am not mentally prepared for a surgery either. so i felt hair system was my only option. i felt going in for a hair system now only would be better because i wud not have to answer any1 as to how i got a head full of hair overnight, i.e. if i got it done wen am bald a 15 months later. i intend to use a hair system only for 8 yrs. 3yrs from now i ll get married and i wish to have a system on for 5 yrs after that. after that i am ready to accept baldness. its just that i need an immediate remedy now to get my life back. i have zeroed in on farrell hair systems (whats your take on their systems). i am home office home person and my only physical activity is hiting the gym for an hour a day. so i wud like to know what would be the approx mainteinance cost for that period.

guys this is what i have deciced and inclined working towards it in a month's time. i joined this forum to share my problem and get your views. please suggest me if am right or wrong, the pros and cons of my decision. please give me your valuble inputs.

Thank you

kartyyy-

Welcome to HTN. I don't wear a hair system, never have, and did opt to have 2 hair transplants the first at age 38, the second 1 year later at age 39.

I hope others can respond to you about cost and pros/cons of hair systems. I'm not a proponent of Hair Systems as I've seen too many poor ones that are very noticable. I suppose the same can be said for a hair transplant of the past, but most results within the last 5 years or more have been dramatically refined to the point that they are mostly undetectable.

With a hair system, I would guess there's always going to be a bit of phobia about it being discovered, no matter how good you can get it to look. And, I do believe it can be fairly expensive for the piece and the maintenance.

I do not want to dissuade you from getting a hair system. Maybe that's what it sounds like but that isn't the case at all. If after doing your research, that is what you feel is best for you, go for it. I would caution you before purchasing one because I've heard of many, many bad experiences of slick salespeople from the industry making promises they can nowhere near keep. Just want to make sure you have as much information as possible before "jumping in".

I do believe it's a fair statement to say that, in comparing a full hair restoration (as much as is possible by donor hair supply) to a hair system, it will likely be more cost effective in the long run to opt for a hair transplant.

Another option you may consider that I didn't see you mention is taking Propecia (Finasteride). Propecia inhibits DHT which is the culprit attacking your hair that is susceptible to loss by Male-Pattern-Baldness. Propecia (Finasteride) can help you at least maintain the hair you have and may be able to help regrow some hair over time.

Do you research and make the decision that's best for you.

Good luck! icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I would say that hair system is better then hair translpant because you can get the full head of hear you once had. And there are some good once out there that are undetectable.

that is just my opinion.

Guest brent

systems can look good but they have to be perfect all the time to make them undetectable. Thats alot of work and matinence. Not to mention money in the long run.

A couple thousand per year times 10 or 20 years. All depends on the person who will wear it, some love it and some hate it

Guest brent

If you go back in this forum there have been some great discussion and debate on this topic that could benifit you greatly

Hi D

I agree with the other posters. Hair systems never look natural and i can always tell when a guy has them.. They are very expensive to upkeep and you always have to "hide' the fact you are wearing one. Have you onsidered to take propcia to stop your hairloss? This way you can keep what you have until a time when you can get a HT or just at least stay at your current level. Yes, there are many docs who csan give you a natural looking transplant which lasts forever and is undectectable..

Look around on this site and see

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Diamon:

Do someone think that with a good Dr you can have your hair back with a transplant?

Diamon-

With sufficient donor hair, I believe you can come pretty close to having the "appearance" of having your hair back. This is dependent on many things...........first and foremost donor supply and your stage of hair loss. If a person hit's NW 6 or 7, it is highly unlikely they can have their native hairline and coverage all the way to the crown.

Take a look at my Hair Loss Blog...........I was NW 5 diffused before any HT's. My hairline is about 1 - 1.5cm above it's native height and I have some rescission in the temples remaining after 2 HT's totaling 5000 grafts. It's my opinion that with another 1500 grafts of hairline/temple work, and 1500 distributed on top, I would pretty much appear as I did about 15 years or so ago......with only very mild temple rescission and thats about it.

Keep in mind, HT's are all about distributing what hair you have in an effort to produce the "appearance/illusion" of density. You can NEVER get back the density of your native hair because it's gone. You have to rely on donor hair from the safe zone. Some have really dense (per sq cm, not shaft density) donor hair. Those who have a higher than normal amount can pretty much have the appearance of a full head of hair.

Hope this helps.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Guest brent

knowledge is power. This site helped me decide to go the transplant route and four years and three surgeries later I feel ive never made a better decision in my life. Read up on the opinions of the posters here and learn from them. Its well worth the time and effort

Thanks a lot for the good response to my thread.

but ppl i am only 24 and not interested in a transplant for another ten years.

In my post i was actually asking about hair systems which i am intended in going into (fromm farrell hair systems)

and so it would be very kind of u ppl to focus on my currnt topic and throw some light on it which in turn would help me.

thank you

Not trying to divert attention from your request, kartyyy. I wish I had more information for you but never seriously considered a hair system. Hopefully others who wear them or have worn them will chime in to help you. icon_smile.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Guest brent

All I can say is, If you want a system, go for it. I can go over the pros and cons but you really have to find out for yourself. Its great because its instant hair but after a few years the constant matinence and worries get to you

Hi

I would rather shave my head then wear a piece. They are too fake and how do you tell a women you are dating " BTW my hair is fake"

Good luck but I wouldn't do it and I would surely get on propecia if you intend to get a HT in the future

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Guest brent

Very true. Everyone on this forum is very encouraging and supportive, but most people out there will snicker and make fun behind your back if they realize you have one. Thats the harsh truth. Some guys still ridicule women with implants!!!

or the fake ponytail..

See female rappers!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Originally posted by Mrjb:

how do you tell a women you are dating " BTW my hair is fake"

I hear ya! I try to picture how a guy going to bed with a woman for the first time can explain why his hair fell off while doing the "wild thing"! If he took it off before getting laid, he probably would end up not getting laid!

it sits very very hard on your scalp, Not possible for it to fall off. Well maybe if you pull your hardest with 2 hands then yes maybe.

But who the hell are going to try pull your hair?

Diamon-

Try not to take offense, everyone has their opinion. You posted a reply to my Hair Loss Blog which leads me to believe you're attempting to discredit the idea of HT's being able to provide the "appearance" of a full head of hair.

Some hair systems can look good..........heck, they can look great. MY OPINION is that most are detectable. The ones that maybe are not are extra expensive and require "Maintenance" that can be quite expensive. Wouldn't you agree?

Personally, I opted for a HT because now know whatever look I'm able to produce is my own and I don't have to worry about it. If you feel the same way about your hair system.........cool icon_cool.gif.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Diamon

I would love to see the pic and I will give you my honest opinion.. Why don't you post it on here and we can give you our opinion.. This or send me a PM and I can do it that way

We support you either way

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

hi diamon.......

thanks a lot for your reply. i am planning to buy a hair system this month. i am 24 now and thinning so planning to get a system on before i get bald.

do you wear a hair system?????? how has your experience been with it??? can we continue with our normal life wearing one??? can we ride bikes??? can we play active sports???

and the most important thing is can we make love and have sex wearing a hair system. can it(sex) be pulled of without detection??? because the last thing i want in life is to get caught bald wearing a system on bed.

my email id is "karty_83@yahoo.com" so pls do send me your pic.

looking forward from you diamon!!!!!!!!!

Having sex while wearing the system should not be a problem. As others have pointed out, keeping it on may be another issue.

As far as being active and particapting in sports, would you want to be sweating into this and then wearing it for several weeks? As has been pointed out, it can stink.

There is no substitute for what HT can give you - your own hair to wash and no fear of "loss" during sex.