can working out accelerate loss??

I don't think lifting weights in itself accelerates hair loss. Personally, I think the health benefits far outweigh any fear of additional hair loss from weight lifting that results in increased testosterone levels.

Steriods are a different beast all together, IMO. They boost your testosterone levels way above what your nature intended.

DHT converts from testosterone, true, and more testosterone in your blood gives more chance for conversion. But it isn't like you are going to lose hairs you weren't going to lose anyway. Mildly elevating testosterone levels may in fact mildly accelerate hair loss that was going to happen anyway. *It does NOT however, create hairloss.*

A hair is either genetically programmed to fall out or it isn't. A hair that is programmed to fall out at about age 50 isn't all of a sudden going to fall out at 25 because of a little weight lifting.

I weight lift regularly and I'm not stopping. I am on finasteride (1/4 Proscar) which helps block about 85% of the testosterone to DHT conversion. Merck's own clinical study (that came with the Proscar bottle) outlines that circulating testosterone levels increased by subjects taking Proscar.

Between you and me, this causes a benefit you might expect and one I personal feel. Testosterone is good for muscle growth and in my view, general mood and well-being. Many medical studies indicate this as well. The mild "side effect" of the DHT blocker I am seeing is a slightly leaner body and better response (strength & mass) from my workouts.

Hmm, sounds pretty good to me!

Okay, not all people respond to finasteride use this way. Some have decreased libido and other un-male crap side effects. For me, it has proven to do nothing but good so far.

Increasing testosterone without a DHT blocker also increases circulating DHT.

Can a doctor please confirm this as well?

I'm just wondering, because I started taking a quarter proscar a couple months ago and it seems like my shedding is increasing.

That is also about the time I started hitting the weights harder.

Any thoughts as to why I may be shedding more since taking the proscar??

My understanding is that shedding often occurs after beginning proscar, but the shed hairs will grow back. Agreement seems to be tht Proscar is the best available treatment for preventing further loss of hair. Just stick with it. I don't really see where the connection with weight lifting would come into play in relation with hair loss, except if you take steroids which will cause hairloss if you are prone to mpb.

Thanks Paul!! I hope the shed hairs will grow back.

I just remember a guy that said he was diagnosed with some form of prostate problem that was aggravated by increased levels of testosterone in his body. Maybe it was just an excuse not to work out.