medicines..

hey again!!First of all i really loveto thank congragulate ppl like spex,Bills and lot of other ppl who are doin a gr8t job in makin a differce in others lives!!u guys r truly the messaiahs of the ht world!!anywayz...cumin 2 d point...

1)i actually happend to have a moderate hair loss and i have been advised to take medicines like d usual minoxidil,finepcia...but the thing is i hate d idea of takin medicines generally and 2nd for d side effcts these give me,so i am hopin in the near future to settle for a ht,but the thing is i heard u do also need to take regular medicines post-ht,so is that really nescessary??

2)I dint get any answer from my previous post regarding where does the hair supply comes for a patient who has undergone chemotherapy or has been totally bald?

i thank once again in advance to all those ppl who have responded to the post,as i am new to the ht world and coming from a country like india where this concept hasnt totally flourished yet, plus,the surgery amnt costs a bomb if ppl here where to get a decent ht abroad,so my only window to all my doubts and soothing medicine to my depression due to hair loss is due to forums like these,so please bear me,if the questions are repititve.btw...u guys mite have seen tis video,but still tis is for all those survivors!!

hey again!!First of all i really loveto thank congragulate ppl like spex,Bills and lot of other ppl who are doin a gr8t job in makin a differce in others lives!!u guys r truly the messaiahs of the ht world!!anywayz...cumin 2 d point...

1)i actually happend to have a moderate hair loss and i have been advised to take medicines like d usual minoxidil,finepcia...but the thing is i hate d idea of takin medicines generally and 2nd for d side effcts these give me,so i am hopin in the near future to settle for a ht,but the thing is i heard u do also need to take regular medicines post-ht,so is that really nescessary??

2)I dint get any answer from my previous post regarding where does the hair supply comes for a patient who has undergone chemotherapy or has been totally bald?

i thank once again in advance to all those ppl who have responded to the post,as i am new to the ht world and coming from a country like india where this concept hasnt totally flourished yet, plus,the surgery amnt costs a bomb if ppl here where to get a decent ht abroad,so my only window to all my doubts and soothing medicine to my depression due to hair loss is due to forums like these,so please bear me,if the questions are repititve.btw...u guys mite have seen tis video,but still tis is for all those survivors!!

Hi mobius-

As for #1, people usually take the meds after HT's to prevent further loss. In my case, at age 41, I take Fin so the sides and back don't receed any further. I was NW5 before any HT's and my loss was very gradual, so I really don't think it would receed much more anyway, but, I will continue with Fin just in case. Also, you can opt to start Fin every other day rather than daily. I was advised by my Doc that it inhibits DHT in the body for 72 hours so a daily dose isn't necessary.

Question 2, I'm not sure?? If a post-chemo person is bald and the hair doesn't come back I don't believe they'll have any options as HT's can only be done with your own hair.....you can't get it from someone else, even a relative, it won't work.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

mobius,

Welcome to our community.

The good news is, taking hair loss medication is not required for transplanted hair to grow however, because hair loss is a progressive condition, to help keep the existing natural or "native" hair that you have, you may want to consider them. Without them, hair loss is sure to continue to the point that your genes have dicated.

Totally bald patients either from chemotherapy or alopecia universalis, are not hair transplant candidates. Only those with hair on the sides and back of the head (the donor area safe zone for most patients) can have transplants. In most cases, once a patient completes chemotherapy treatment, hair will grow back and hair transplantation will once again be a possibility in the event the patient also suffers from male pattern baldness. Otherwise, one may choose to cover their baldness with a wig.

Great video by the way!

Bill