3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - Its done :D !!!!

First let me start by saying thank you for the positive comments I've received in the days leading up to my procedure. It makes a big difference coming from people who've been through the same thing and understand how you feel.

I understand completely that this is only the first small step toward restoring my hair, and we won't know how successful the surgery was for another year, but yesterday was the culmination of years of researching blogs and forums for me, and I couldn't be happier with how it went, so I'll allow myself a day of euphoria, before the grafts shed and the agony of the wait for re-growth begins.

My day started at 6:30 am in the morning. Dr Gabel had spent over an hour with me the previous day going over the hairline I wanted, but this was the real thing so I appreciated that he really took his time. Even after we achieved one that we were both happy with, we took some pictures and some of the angles didn't look absolutely right. So we went through the process 2 more times! We were only moving a portion of the hairline by a few millimeters, but I knew that if I wasn't happy with to start with, it would bug me for the rest of my life! Dr Gabel was very patient and re-did it each time, until we were both happy.

The strip removal was very quick, and once you get through the initial anesthesia shots which are somewhat painful, there really isn't any pain. Dr Gabel then proceeded to make the holes for the new grafts. He made all the holes himself, was very re-assuring. In fact he was in the room the whole time..placing grafts along with another tech! We'd talked about doing between 2500 and 3000 grafts to cover the frontal areas, and leave the crown for a later date. We got 3279, so I was thrilled with the density. My friend who I'd confided in, picked me up after the procedure and the first thing he said was "your hair looks great..which ones are the grafts". He was shocked to learn that they were *all* grafts, since my native hair was completely shaved. It was cool to see his jaw drop. Though I'm trying to temper my own expectations because I realize that there is still a long road ahead.

The day went very quickly, even though it was a long day. I watched a couple of movies, but mostly chatted with Dr Gabel and his techs. Some of them are really funny, and it was a good time (as good a time as one could possible have while holes are being poked in your head icon_wink.gif.)

We took tons of pictures, including one with the number of grafts per sq cm. It was really late and I was very tired, so I'll pick em up when I go to have the sutures removed, and post them along with the graft breakdown.

Thanks again for all the support, and I look forward to sharing the rest of my journey and the long painful wait!

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel

First let me start by saying thank you for the positive comments I've received in the days leading up to my procedure. It makes a big difference coming from people who've been through the same thing and understand how you feel.

I understand completely that this is only the first small step toward restoring my hair, and we won't know how successful the surgery was for another year, but yesterday was the culmination of years of researching blogs and forums for me, and I couldn't be happier with how it went, so I'll allow myself a day of euphoria, before the grafts shed and the agony of the wait for re-growth begins.

My day started at 6:30 am in the morning. Dr Gabel had spent over an hour with me the previous day going over the hairline I wanted, but this was the real thing so I appreciated that he really took his time. Even after we achieved one that we were both happy with, we took some pictures and some of the angles didn't look absolutely right. So we went through the process 2 more times! We were only moving a portion of the hairline by a few millimeters, but I knew that if I wasn't happy with to start with, it would bug me for the rest of my life! Dr Gabel was very patient and re-did it each time, until we were both happy.

The strip removal was very quick, and once you get through the initial anesthesia shots which are somewhat painful, there really isn't any pain. Dr Gabel then proceeded to make the holes for the new grafts. He made all the holes himself, was very re-assuring. In fact he was in the room the whole time..placing grafts along with another tech! We'd talked about doing between 2500 and 3000 grafts to cover the frontal areas, and leave the crown for a later date. We got 3279, so I was thrilled with the density. My friend who I'd confided in, picked me up after the procedure and the first thing he said was "your hair looks great..which ones are the grafts". He was shocked to learn that they were *all* grafts, since my native hair was completely shaved. It was cool to see his jaw drop. Though I'm trying to temper my own expectations because I realize that there is still a long road ahead.

The day went very quickly, even though it was a long day. I watched a couple of movies, but mostly chatted with Dr Gabel and his techs. Some of them are really funny, and it was a good time (as good a time as one could possible have while holes are being poked in your head icon_wink.gif.)

We took tons of pictures, including one with the number of grafts per sq cm. It was really late and I was very tired, so I'll pick em up when I go to have the sutures removed, and post them along with the graft breakdown.

Thanks again for all the support, and I look forward to sharing the rest of my journey and the long painful wait!

- badger

Badger,

Well you've certainly chosen for yourself a first-rate surgeon! Congratuations and welcome to the REAL hair club for men icon_smile.gif

Dr. Gabel is very thorough and an artist!

I hope you'll share your photos with us by creating a patient weblog so we can encourage you as we follow your journey.

Heal and grow well!

Bill

Congrats man!!!

You think the surgery was the hardest part it isnt.. It's waiting for that great head of hair to grow..

good luck and take it easy for a couple days!!!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

thanks Guys!

Yeah..just taking it easy at home. Visited Dr Gabels office yesterday for some post-op cleaning of the graft and donor areas and haven't left the house since. Still getting used to sleeping in a chair though icon_biggrin.gif.Its day 2 and no swelling yet...hopefully its not too bad in the next couple of days. Stopped the pain meds yesterday..the graft area is fine but the donor area is still a little sore..any idea when the soreness subsides ?

- badger

Badger,

Sleeping in a chair - that's great if you can do that. My problem is that I can never fall asleep that way. But keeping your head elevated will certainly help minimize swelling if you experience any at all. Taking walks (if it's not too hot) will also help minimize swelling

In my experience, the majority of the donor soreness was gone by the time the sutures/staples were removed. It can remain tender up to 3 months or once in awhile I would experience a slight but sharper pain in the area that is short lasting. These also subside over the period of a month or two.

Keep resting and enjoy some down time icon_smile.gif

Best wishes,

Bill