Question/Answer: Am I too young for a hair transplant?

Well, I am not so sure.

If I had had the time and the money back then, I would have had my HT seven years ago, when I was 23/24.

When it comes to ethics, the doctor has to put all the facts on the table and raise awareness of the aspects mentioned above, about future scenarios etc..

But in the end, they have to respect the patient's decision.

You only have one "youth", you are in your twenties only once in your lifetime, and it is your right to determine whether you want to spend your twenties worrying, being stuck in HT forums, waiting for your 30th birthday,

or if you want to spend it in the clubs, being attractive and feeling good about yourself! I feel that I have lost a very important period of my life that no one will ever give back to me. So, I'll at least try to live my 30s the way I'd have lived my 20s. :o

All sides of the issue should be discussed thoroughly and on the basis of an individual evaluation and learning process, but in the end, if someone wants to have a perfect hairline in his twenties instead of a so-so hairline in his fourties, it has to be respected. And a good surgeon will then focus on delivering the best possible results on the basis of the patient's decision and assist him in adressing all future challenges.

CopaSurfer, great post, I agree with what you say.

Whilst I am aware that right now may not be considered the "right time" for me to have a hair transplant in terms of hairloss development, I believe it is the right time for me in terms of when I'd appreciate it most. I am in my early 20's and don't want to spend any more time being so anxious and unconfident when I should be enjoying myself!

Exactly, pple would kill to get the volume u have now :)

If u are worried about the side effects of Finasteride, you might want to start on minoxidil first! However, if i m not wrong, i thought i heard that minoxidil is not effective on the temples, its more for the crown

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

• 11 months later...

I would like to know that is there any possibility to donor from other parts of the body?

and also is it possible to be donor be a second person.

What about the donor areas after the surgery it will grow or not?

best regards

Haris

I thought I'd try something. I am starting to write a document that answers some of the common questions posed by members of this forum. Obviously, my answers are one man's opinion...and they are written generally. Anyway...let me know what you think. Thoughts are welcome and encouraged. I may even add your thoughts into my document if they have merit icon_wink.gif

----

Am I Too Young For a Hair Transplant?

Unfortunately, the answer isn't a simple yes or no, though some have made it that simple, sadly. Admittedly, this topic is very controversial. The point of my answer here is to help you make up your own mind over this one while still presenting all the issues. I also offer my opinion as well, but it's to be taken that way...just another man's opinion. My only caution is, don't let your emotions answer this question for you...let your logic and reasoning answer.

Education is the key to everything. The more you know, the more you can make an informed decision. It's vital and even critical that you know as much as you can about what you are getting yourself into, regardless of whether it's hair transplantation or another topic altogether. It is important that you understand what this process is like and all the risks that go along with it.

Let's list some of the key reasons why getting a hair transplant at a young age is risky:

1. Hair loss is unpredictable. Those who just start losing their hair typically aren't good candidates for a hair transplant (no matter what their age)

2. The earlier you start losing your hair, the more hair you MAY lose. This is not a definite thing, but the risk factor certainly goes up. It's a sad truth that we must be aware of.

3. Donor supply is limited. Planning conservatively therefore is extremely important for people with minimal hair loss. The fact is, one MAY need additional surgeries to stay looking natural and therefore want to have good reserves to tap into in case this happens. The good news is, if more hair is not lost, one can always go back later to lower the hairline, or fill in areas to add density.

4. The financial commitment may not be feasible. Many people think that one surgery will be enough for them, and truthfully it might depending on your situation. But those who are just starting to lose their hair...hair transplantation might NOT be the answer immediately, especially if you need follow up procedures to try to keep up with your hair loss. And let's face it...young people typically have less money. If you only just have enough money for one procedure and don't know when you'll have enough for another one, it may not be a good idea to get an HT.

But if these are all serious risks to be considered, why do ethical doctors sometimes do hair transplantation on younger patients? Haven't we decided that it's too risky for a younger candidate to jump in the chair?

As I said above, each case has to be taken individually. A simple "yes" or "no" is not sufficient to answer the posed question above.

Below are a list of conditions that, if met, I feel it MAY be appropriate for a younger person to have an HT:

1. The patient is educated about hair transplantation and aware of all the risks associated with having an HT.

2. The patient is on finasteride for at least 1 year before having an HT

3. The doctor has gone over all of the risks with the patient

4. The patient knows that follow up HTs MAY be necessary to cover future loss with the option LATER lower the hairline if desired in the event that there is NO or LITTLE FUTURE LOSS

5. The doctor creates a very conservative hairline (that of course flatters the face of the patient).

6. If hairloss is minimal, a conservative number of grafts are used keeping a large reservation of grafts for the POTENTIAL future need.

Ethical Issues:

Many will try to keep up with their hair loss and go to doctors who will give the patient what they want. You know the motto "the customer is always right"? This should NOT be the motto for the medical profession. In my opinion, doctors who try to satisfy the immediate desires of the patient without considering the future are highly unethical. These doctors are more concerned about the money in their pockets from getting someone into surgery than they are about how this patient may look 10 years down the line. Dense packing a hairline with 3000 grafts on a 20 year old when they only just started losing their hair is EXTREMELY risky. Even if this particular patient has 7000 available donor grafts, this means they only have 4000 available grafts to for the rest of the head in the event of additional hair loss. What if the patient becomes a Norwood 6? This patient will ultimately be stuck with a low hairline and very thin hair behind it, leaving an unnatural look. Planning conservatively therefore, is extremely important for those of a younger age, especially those of a younger age with minimal hair loss.

-----

Bill

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...