VERY IMPORTANT QUESTIONS

NIKE

Hi, I am new to this board, I have read a lot of post over the last few days and you guys seem to know you stuff (good thing) I am 21 (almost 22) And i have thinning hair in front. It wasnt THAT bad at 1st, But i started to use Rogaine ( 4 weeks on it now) And I lost A LOT of hair in front AND on my crown some too... I got really upset and went to MHR and was all but ready to sign up and go under the knife. Then i ran into this board. And listening to you guys changed my point of view... Thank g-d i didnt go threw it by them... Well what im trying to get at is... Do you think at my age and hair loss (NW-4 working on a 5) I should go under the knife? OR should i stick with rogaine (hope it grows back some hair or atlest holds what i got) and get some propica.. OR invest in a hair piece of what not... My Girlfriend doesn't care if im bald at 25 or not.. But i sure as hell do... I am just scared it will come out bad and i will have that scar forever.... anyway.. sorry for the rambling.. Any and ALL insite would be great! I Live in the NY area And hear good things about feller and True... Thanks for listening

Hi, I am new to this board, I have read a lot of post over the last few days and you guys seem to know you stuff (good thing) I am 21 (almost 22) And i have thinning hair in front. It wasnt THAT bad at 1st, But i started to use Rogaine ( 4 weeks on it now) And I lost A LOT of hair in front AND on my crown some too... I got really upset and went to MHR and was all but ready to sign up and go under the knife. Then i ran into this board. And listening to you guys changed my point of view... Thank g-d i didnt go threw it by them... Well what im trying to get at is... Do you think at my age and hair loss (NW-4 working on a 5) I should go under the knife? OR should i stick with rogaine (hope it grows back some hair or atlest holds what i got) and get some propica.. OR invest in a hair piece of what not... My Girlfriend doesn't care if im bald at 25 or not.. But i sure as hell do... I am just scared it will come out bad and i will have that scar forever.... anyway.. sorry for the rambling.. Any and ALL insite would be great! I Live in the NY area And hear good things about feller and True... Thanks for listening

Read up a bit. I've had experience myself with Rogaine and second-hand observation of propecia that confirms what's known. You may shed some hairs early on, but you gotta stick it out 6-12 months to get a good idea of what's going on. (dead or weak hairs come loose from new hairs in the folicle pushing them out)

Stick with it, you've probably just taken the first step in successfully retaining your hairs and maybe regrowing some.

So I should just stick with what im doing, and get on propica.. Do you think that new hair will grow in? Shouldn't it (in the front?orcrown?? Or will it just be the way it is.. Now after all the shedding.. if thats the case I dunno if it was such a good idea to go on it in the 1st place, because i have much less hair now then i did a month ago.. Any and all replys would be great! Thanks

Well I've experienced help in Rogaine over the whole top of my head.

I only saw Propecia on someone (I just started taking it myself) who had a nearly skinheaded baldspot, and two years later it looks remarkably fuller. he, too lost some hair early on, and was going to quit if his doctor didn't convince him otherwise.

Nike,

If you are a Norwood 4 or 5 at 22 then you better hold off on the surgery big time. whoa man I don't want to bum you out but the probability that you will lose the rest is pretty good. If you get a hair transplant now that will be the only hair you have left in the next ten years. Try meds first man and cancel any appointment for a HT you have. I don't want to bum you out but you need to know what future hair lose may happen.

Cam's Web Site

Cam

I kinda figured that I will probably lose the rest some day, Is it THAT strange for someone in TOP HEATLY (body and all) like myself to los hair so young? My farther AND Grandfather are/where both completely bold.. But they didnt start losing it till late 20's.. Id Rather NOT havet he sugery since I dont really like that stuff.. BUT if thats the only thing that truely works then i have to think about it, Anyway.. When is a good time to realy think about it? (age) should i just wait like 8 or so years when they have newer methods? or do it now and worry about that later? I am on rogaine right now, I was about a NW3 when i started it. now after a month i went to a NW4 with ALL THE SHEDDING (SOO MUCH!).. I dont need a ton of hair.. just enough so i can brush it foward.. Well thanks and all replys are a great help!..

Hi Nike,

your health has nothing to do with it, i also consider myself ' healthy ' but that doesnt change a thing. For example, some people say that lifting wheights can accelerate hairloss because of higher testosterone levels. As far as the HT, i am also almost 22 and i am not someone who says no to anyone, although you are a seperate case, being a NW4 at 21 is not very hopefull, i am a NW2 to a 3, but i noticed hairloss very young ( 16 - 17 ), i just goes slow what i am extremely happy for. Wait and see for a year what the propecia and rogaine does for you, if it halts, you might consider an HT, but if it doesnt i would think again. I have only 1 member of my family who advanced to a NW4 to 5, that is my grandfather at the age of 80 or something like that, all the rest have full heads of hair, so i am hopefulle never to go past a NW5.

Good luck

Greetz.

Pictures of my hairloss can be found here:

http://www.geocities.com/belgiumdude2004/

>Thank g-d i didnt go threw it by them... Well what im trying to get at is... Do you think at my age and hair loss (NW-4 working on a 5) I should go under the knife?<

Absolutely not and no ethical surgeon would operate on you either. If you are a Norwood 4 at your age, you need to rely on medical treatment for a while.

I am an independent hair transplant surgical consultant and hair loss researcher. Any opinions I have posted are my own. I am working on a few hair loss/transplant projects and will be making some announcements concerning them in the near future.

What is the best route to go? a mix of rogaine - toppik - propicea? or should I not use 1 of them? or is there a better method..

BTW i was a NW 3 till i used rogaine.. now im more like a NW4 after the shedding!.. is that normal??? Thank you for all your responces

I agree at your age I think you need to wait and see what happens. I have known since I was about 22 that I was losing my hair. Although not as rapidly as you. I am now 31 and just now decided to have a HT. So I know it is painful to sit back and wait, but in the end this is the best thing. Start taking Propecia and stick with the Rogaine. Even if you think it is not working keep with it.

Just to be clear I WOULD NOT GO UNDER THE KNIFE! At least not yet.

Nike

I have experience with Rogaine, Propecia and Toppik, and I have also had a HT.

First of all, don't let other people's bad experience allow you to rule out a HT altogether! It is certainly a viable option and can be done extremely well. I had mine done at the start of August, so I have not yet even seen the full results and I am absolutely thrilled. But, I do agree that you are too young to be considering this option, especially at the rate your hair is falling out. It's best to wait until you can determine your ultimate stage of loss.

Rogaine - It worked moderately well for me, but I don't use it any longer. I was on it for about 5 years, but I think after a while, it just loses its effectiveness. If you start using it, though, be prepared for some serious shedding once you go off of it.

Propecia - This has been a God send for me! I can't tell you enough how elated I have been with the results I've gotten from using Propecia. I have been using it for almost 4 years now, and my hair loss has all but halted in its tracks since the time I started using it. I would get on it TODAY! Propecia itself is expensive, but you can also get Proscar and quarter it, or buy Fincar online and quarter it for a really cheap solution. It's all the same stuff.

Toppik - I use this regularly and I really like it, but you have to have some hair for it to cling to. It absolutely will not work in areas where you are slick bald. But if you still have moderately long hairs that are just thinning, it's worth a try.

Hope that helps.

Tedd

Does Propicea cost per month, (from a Dr) And how much does proscar (How ever you spell it) cost... Also I am not "slick bald" i am just thinning alot in the front.. would toppik work? i ordered it.. so i hope it does

Prices on both Propecia and Proscar vary widely based on how much your insurance is willing to pay. I think full retail on Propecia is around $50 - $60 a month, and most insurance will not cover it. That's why most people choose Proscar, which is exactly the same stuff and many insurance providers will cover it, since it's technically for another ailment altogether. I'm not really sure on the retail for that one. I buy my Proscar online and get a year's supply for about $90, including shipping.

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/mens-health/fincar.html

The Toppik should work fine for you, but it does take a little experimenting, though. Don't be discouraged. The first time I used it, I was ready to throw it away and never use it again. I kept working with it and now I use it all the time and I think it works great.

Tedd

Nike-

Sorry I missed your original post.

First things first - do NOT get a hairpiece. Believe me , it sucks and will forever more.

I'm thrilled with my HT, but many might say 21 is early.

Best of luck.

Joe

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice