Devroye or Feriduni or Stateside?

keithodub

Hi, i need some direction in terms of doctor choice and would appreciate ex-patients/experts experiences and opinions if possible please..

My research has led me to 3 stateside docs, and two Belgian. Stateside Dr Feller seems very well represented on here with little negative feedback. My other 2 U.S. options for consideration were James Harris Colorado and Hasson and Wong. For my needs the estimated price range was ??5,800 to ??11,500, Dr Feller being most competitive. Big difference eh?

In Belgium though both Devroye and Feriduni appear to be very reputable on this side of the Atlantic. ??5k to ??7,500 the asking prices. Without (to me) any discernible difference in results in any of the above doctors can anyone give me a good reason for NOT going to one of the Belgian docs? Generally speaking from what i've read, almost everyone on these forums seem to steer prospective HT patients stateside. For me living in the UK though i save several hundreds of pounds before i start by staying in Europe? Not to harp on about cost as i know it falls a very distant 2nd behind results, but i'd just like to hear the argument/evidence on whether i should choose to opt for where it seems 90% of HT patients are choosing?

Also, if anyone has an opinion / info about Devroye or Feriduni please feel free to share... privately if you wish. I'm just eager to pinpoint my doc above all else as a starting point for the process for me. Results ARE my main concern but it's just foolish to go for the most expensive doc for the sake of working on the "you get what you pay for" principle! Also, while i'm on, i'm VERY interested if anyone can recommend a doc that DOESN'T need to shave the recipient area if he exists. My other priority is (after results and cost) keeping the procedure under wraps!!!

Thanks very much in advance for any help or advice.

Cheers.

Dr. Feriduni and Dr. Devroye both have excellent reputations on this site for producing great results.

If you believe that they are on par with the best doctors in the United States, and for what it's worth I believe they are, by all means save yourself some money and go with them. It ultimately comes down to who you feel most comfortable with.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with factoring in cost and location when making this decision. The problem is when you elevate those two factors ahead of quality.

I'm not sure whether Dr. Feriduni and Dr. Devroye require shaving, but Dr. Feller and H&W do. Dr. Konior doesn't require shaving and his work is immaculate. SMG doesn't require shaving, and they're world class. Dr. Cooley doesn't require shaving, and he is also terrific. I'm not sure whether Dr. True and Dr. Dorin require shaving, nor am I sure about Dr. Reed and Dr. Carman.

Dr. Konior doesn't require shaving and his work is immaculate. SMG doesn't require shaving, and they're world class. Dr. Cooley doesn't require shaving, and he is also terrific

Thanks very much for the tips on the shaving of recipient areas... saved me lots of leg work. SMG was actually another clinic i'd just started looking into actually and as you say, by all accounts top notch, reasonable pricing and incentives for people like myself who would have to factor in travel.

Also "in Europe, then go with Devroye", can i ask why the preference? Any personal experience? Just again the main difference that's apparent from what i've read and seen seems only to be price. Has either doc more experience as understudy of better U.S. docs? Any more info please let's know.

Cheers.

From what i have leanrt from here and other forums, I have only found positive reviews about Dr Devroye. I have also had a online and in-person consulation with him and in my opinion he seems ethical and professional.

All the doctors such as h&w, devroye, ferudini, feller etc... are excellent. So, go with your the one you feel most comfortable with and according to your needs.

If you need a mega session or high density then it has to be H&W though.

Keith have you considered Dr Farjo in Manchester? He has had some good results but he is very conservative.

I think the best hair transplant surgeon in the world is Hasson and Wong but I have seen some excellent results from other Dr's as well. (I've based my opinion on the pics from the hairloss blogs)

Have had a look at the Farjo clinic in terms of reviews photos and costs, and not in any area did they seem to better what's available in either Europe or in the states. About a grand more expensive than one good option in Belgium or some very highly recommended clinics in the states for my needs,- and just don't seem AS reputable.?

I seem to be penning myself as a skinflint here but purely based on results-photos and reputation online, Farjo doesn't make the shortlist for me. Thanks for pointing it out though.

To be honest the more i'm looking, (thanks largely to this site) the more excellent options seem to be out there. It's clearly a competitive market. Hasson and Wong are dropping down said list for purely geographical reasons. There seem to be enough great surgeons on or nearer the eastern seaboard if i choose to go stateside (Konior, Feller and SMG to name but 3).

I'm going to continue my research, hopefully draw a conclusion sooner rather than later. Am planning to organise a visit to both Feriduni and Devroye via a cheap flight by mid June at latest so will post my opinions after that for whoever wants to hear. If particularly impressed by either that may determine where i go. Being hugely influenced by the recipient area shave though... have had a few online consultations with American docs for whom it doesn't appear a necessity or even a preference if sub 2,000 grafts, (thanks TC17 for tips) which is a big factor for me.

I'm waiting to hear back from Devroye and Feriduni with regard to whether this is a possibility in their clinics. I'll post the result. Any procedure i decide on is a good 6 months away so hopefully with some groundwork and you lads sharing your opinions and experience i can make a well-informed choice and help others on here.

Cheers again for responses.

Hi

I went to Feriduni a year ago and I am blown away by the results- have a look at my 11 month photos. I can honestly say that I no longer look in 10 different mirrors before going out to see if my hair looks acceptable.

When people give you advice about which doc to choose over the other, make sure they have had personal experience and not just jumping on the bandwagon. There are too many HT tyre kickers on these forums who wouldn't know a HT if it kicked them up the ar*e. Meet people and get a feel of how transplants look in person. I met a guy the other month and he was totally gobsmacked.

I have seen Feller's work in person too- also looks very good.

Good luck and see through the hype.

BW

Originally posted by beardywierdy:

Hi

I went to Feriduni a year ago and I am blown away by the results

Hi Beardyweirdy, as have said i'm taking peoples opinions as they come.. alot seem to have grudges or agendas of their own so...

Dr Feriduni is the only doc i have tried to contact without getting a reply... doesn't really bode well in my book in terms of customer care so don't know what to make of that. As a trip to Belgium is on the cards anyway to see Devroye i'd hope to see him too to kill 2 birds so to speak. May have to ring the clinic direct but am definitely using the right email and with no joy so it's a bit frustrating when i'm trying to gather my options to make the decision of a lifetime!

As posted on your thread, some clearer hairline pics would be good. Your hair looks like it was very suited to a procedure anyway,.. and you'd more than me to start with too ya sw*ne! icon_wink.gif

Looking good though, fair play.

Dr Feriduni is the only doc i have tried to contact without getting a reply...

Keithodub, Im not surprised by that becuase last year this time i had online consultations and feriduni was one of the few who let me down with a late reply. It was after two weeks without an apology or anything....it seems its the norm for Feriduni clinic.

To me first impressions count as well as customer services, although HT decisions should not be based entirely on these issues. However i simply could not be asked to follow up with Feriduni afterwards. I might as well mention that Dr Farjo in Manchester was another late online consult. In fact they just sent an email saying to ring and discuss about Hair transplant. When i rang they said their CONSULTATIONS were booked FOUR months ahead! Let alone the actual surgery. Again i gave up with them.

Devroye as mentioned replied the very next day followed by an in-depth online consultation presented artistically. I was impressed and then decided to have in in person consult together with others. I did not go to feriduni for consult even though i was in belgium.

beardywierdy,

I think Keithodub has done a fair bit of research before starting this discussion since he seemed to have narrowed his choices to Devroye, Feriduni, H & W, Feller and Harris. They are all excellent doctors. He asked for help in narrowing his choice even further so that he can make a wise decision. Any of these doctors can and have excellent examples of their work. Do, where is anybody jumping on bandwagon?

We all have different opinions and thoughts based on what we learn in this forum and through other ways. If you feel any advice here is wrong then please make it clear rather than saying that people dont know what they're talking about.

We are in fact very lucky to have access to this forums like this where education is at its best. This forum is the most 'least hyped' forum there is in terms of members honesties including the moderator who provides realistic and helpful advice here everyday in order to bald people.

I certainly have no hidden agenda or axe to grind. I just want people to make an informed decision and I wasn't having a go at anyone in particular; I was merely generalising about advice on the forums. The message is: speak to and see real people;consult with as many doctors as possible. My comment was aimed at people on hairloss forums (not necessarily this one) who have never had a transplant, never seen one and will probably never have one, who advise all and sundry about who the best Doc is or 'their top 3 surgeons'.

I agree that customer service goes a long way but in my opinion, email is good for a cursory chat, but you need to pick up the phone and speak to the doc in person. I spent weeks talking to Feriduni and I know he has a freephone if you are calling from europe.

Re Farjo- All good Docs are booked up well in advance, you would expect them to be.

Anyway good luck with your HT and I hope it all goes well

Cheers

Four months to wait for a consultation! that doesnt necessarily mean its a good doctor. I had online consultations with at least 10 top doctors and one of my questions was when the timesclae was for consultations. Farjo was the only one with a lengthly time for consult. Im not the only one who had this issue, there were others - search under farjo and you will find it on this forum.

Every doctor has a strategy in terms of business. Some spend alot of time in meetings and advertising while others dont. Some do more than one operations per day while others only do one at a time. Some doctors choose a lifestyle to suit their needs.

If a doctor does not reply to an online consult promptyly or does not reply to emails, then what confidence do you have that they will respond to you should things not turn out they way you want. Don't get me wrong, this should not be the main decision factor when deciding. People often go with clinics they feel confortable when trying to make decisions and therefore these small things do sometimes matter to some people.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello gents (assuming you're still keeping an eye on the topics you've responded to).

I'm back from Belgium and my consultations with both Dr.Devroye & Dr.Feriduni.

I have to say i was pretty tired on the day of the consults (a result of travel chaos due to volcanic ash cloud! and a traffic jam driving back into Brussels!) and not quite in top form, so my views may have been tainted as Dr Devroye was my 2nd appointment by which point i just wanted some food and to chill out!

Dr Devroye was however very professional, amiable and undoubtedly from all that you can see about him and his clinic online- an excellent surgeon! As an added bonus i got to see that days' patient in his surgery, whose case coincidentally was very similar to mine. Everything looked really good, especially the donor scar which was amazingly neat looking. Dr Devroye after a quick inspection of me thought 2,300-2,800 grafts approximately would suit my needs. The clinic itself and all the staff have a really laid-back and friendly air which many will find just what they need.

I personally however found Dr Feriduni to be a bit more on my wavelength in his ideas and concerns over my hair. His calculations of graft counts and areas were simple mathematics and his estimate for my needs was 1600-1800. Everything he did was quite meticulous, thorough, and highly informative. He was instantly easy to talk to, very tuned in and interested in the individual's case! I ultimately felt more comfortable after our discussions that he would be my preference into whose hands i would rather place my head! His results and case studies that he had to share with me at the touch of a button spoke for themselves.

I wasn't sold by the stylish new clinic or anything (i can see past shiny-new-things!) but the whole time i was there it was a seamless meeting and i couldn't help but be a little impressed.

What DID sway me was the man himself. I didn't have high expectations in advance because as with some others on here i'd trouble getting a response via email from the clinic... some complaints it seems going back 2 years (surely technical problems can be solved a bit quicker than that)

But, from the time i entered until i left, i felt i was in a place i could trust. He just seems a really genuine guy, who happens to be a highly rated surgeon that gets great transplant results and is alot more affordable (through my research) than the vast majority of surgeons.

Obviously, these are just my opinions. Having had the consults, I said i'd post my thoughts. Everyone to their own... I've had several online consults with U.S and Canadian docs that were also very good, and their results too are fantastic... unfortunately for me they're not a cheap airfare away so i'd have to talk with them via Skype or phone to form a truer opinion of them, and frankly from my research i'm not sure how much (if at all) more they'd have to offer.

So whilst i'm not 100% on where i'll go, i'm happy i went for the consults to give me a bit more insight into what's out there. Ron Shapiro obviously is a doc that is perhaps the most highly regarded anywhere, and then i would also like to talk more with Dr Konior who i thought was very worthwhile.

I'll keep on researching and stay up to date with peoples posts on here, and most importantly get some money together so that i can fix a date for my HT wherever the destination!

Hope this post has helped someone, and maybe saved somebody else some leg-work!

Cheers.

keithodub,

Thanks for keeping this community updated on your consults. It sounds like they both went well, even though I'm sure it was quite exhausting.

In my opinion, both physicians do excellent work. But in the end, you should ultimately select a surgeon who not only does brilliant work, but someone you connect with.

Best wishes in selecting a quality physician for your hair transplant procedure,

Bill