Dandruff: please help!

I've always had hair problems. Dry dandruff, greasy hair and scalp and then hair loss.

I started losing my hair when I was 17 and I went to 5 or 6 different dermatologists in Portugal. They were all shit and didn't solve anything.

If you want something done, you have to do it yourself. I did a lot of research on this subject (and this was before the Internet!) and I found out about finasteride and minoxidil.

Thanks to finasteride, hair loss is no longer a problem and it also improved the 'greasy' look of my scalp. Even if I don't wash my hair for 2 or 3 days, it always look fresh and decent.

Dandruff is still a huge problem, though. My hair is always full of 'snow'. I've used many shampoos and none of them worked. Yesterday, my hairdresser recommended me the Redken scalp relief shampoo (it doesn't say anything about dandruff...). Do you know this shampoo? Is it effective? What shampoos/treatments do you recommend?

For more on this: www.redken.com

I've always had hair problems. Dry dandruff, greasy hair and scalp and then hair loss.

I started losing my hair when I was 17 and I went to 5 or 6 different dermatologists in Portugal. They were all shit and didn't solve anything.

If you want something done, you have to do it yourself. I did a lot of research on this subject (and this was before the Internet!) and I found out about finasteride and minoxidil.

Thanks to finasteride, hair loss is no longer a problem and it also improved the 'greasy' look of my scalp. Even if I don't wash my hair for 2 or 3 days, it always look fresh and decent.

Dandruff is still a huge problem, though. My hair is always full of 'snow'. I've used many shampoos and none of them worked. Yesterday, my hairdresser recommended me the Redken scalp relief shampoo (it doesn't say anything about dandruff...). Do you know this shampoo? Is it effective? What shampoos/treatments do you recommend?

For more on this: www.redken.com

I had a bad explosion about 1.5 months after my ht. My doc recommended T-gel, and it worked well. Get something with Coal Tar, Salicylic Acid, Zinc or Selenium Sulfide. I want to try Tea tree oil sometime.

Here is the redkin product.

This my also help

http://www.prevention.com/cda/...auty/hair.nails/hair

Great tips, Chuckisduck! Thank you very much.

By the way, what exactly is the difference between 'dry' dandruff and 'greasy' dandruff? My scalp was always a bit greasy (much less so since I've used finasteride) but it is flaky as well...

Originally posted by Flavio:

Great tips, Chuckisduck! Thank you very much.

By the way, what exactly is the difference between 'dry' dandruff and 'greasy' dandruff? My scalp was always a bit greasy (much less so since I've used finasteride) but it is flaky as well...

I always thought if you messed with your hair and a snowstorm appeared, then it was dry dandruff. If you comb it out, then greasy type.

Unfortunatly, mine is as dry as an El Nino'd Africa.

The website you mentioned recommends combining several anti-danruff shampoos instead of using just one. It's an interesting idea and I've heard it many times before, so I think I'll try it.

• 1 month later...

Of course, I can't remember the name of it, but I have some sort of mild skin disorder that has caused my scalp to be itchy and dandruff prone since I was a teenager.

Nizoral worked for a little while, but not great. I tried all the over the counter products and none of them worked. I went to a Dermatologist finally who gave me a prescription for Clobex shampoo and it works great for me. My hair and scalp feel 10x cleaner after I use it and the dandruff disappears.

Hope that helps,

Mark