When is more too much? That is the question.

After my third procedure on Monday, October 30, 2006 I'm already considering a fourth. Without posting pics to assist those of you willing to respond, I have a question. My hairline is fairly well established as is the rest of my scalp. However, I would like to add some density to the hairline and mid-scalp areas. When does it become more risk (i.e. shock loss) than reward?

After my third procedure on Monday, October 30, 2006 I'm already considering a fourth. Without posting pics to assist those of you willing to respond, I have a question. My hairline is fairly well established as is the rest of my scalp. However, I would like to add some density to the hairline and mid-scalp areas. When does it become more risk (i.e. shock loss) than reward?

Tom, nice avatar! I love poker. I would go for it unless you are stripped out, how many grafts are you doing per session and how many total so far? Your donor area is the key. I am not sure about your shockless risk, someone else may know, I really never had any with my two HT's.

NoBuzz

Likewise on the Avatar. I've had a total of about 4200 grafts (600, 2020 and 1600). I imagine I could easily get another 2000 out of my donor area. My procedures have been small simply because I still have quite a bit of original hair remaining thanks in part to Propecia but the benefits are losing steam.

Hello Tom,

You shouldn't run any additional risk for shockloss just because this is your 4th surgery. If any doctor's want to jump in on this one, it might be helpful...but I haven't heard of such a thing as added risk to shockloss based on a higher number of procedures. For me...I had severe shockloss after both my surgeries, 1 and 2. I'm only 3 weeks post op of the third, but I expect for me I'll experience shockloss on this again, because it seems to be how I work. BUT, even if you experience shockloss, it should be temporary, unless the hairs that are "shocked" were destined to fall out.

That being said...I'd go for it if you have the donor. Make sure you bring up this concern to the doctor you are considering just to be on the safe side icon_wink.gif

I hope this helps.

Bill

Tom R.-

I guess one thing that comes to my mind is your age. How old are you? If you're still in your twenties you may want to take a little more of a wait and see attitude before going for more density. If you only have around 2000 grafts left.......that won't cover too much if your loss takes off over the years. I think this is something that is undersold sometimes to younger men who opt for a HT but nonetheless is very important to consider.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.