First HT!

I've just arrived back from New York. I had my first HT with Dr Feller on Friday. I'm only 20 years old, and i had about 1800 grafts placed into my hairline so i now have a straight hairline yay :-) Dr Feller is amazing and i have to comend his staff for the fantastic work they did. Now for the long wait....

Yes, Doctor Feller is a great surgeon. I must say that I am surprised he would work on a 20 year old though. Future hairloss is hard to predict, I hope your hairline is all the work you will ever need. Are you on finasteride?

NoBuzz

stu-gallimore,

Congratulations on your HT and for selecting a fine surgeon.

As others have pointed out...a 20 year old getting an HT raises questions generally speaking. I do not object for young people getting HTs in ALL cases, but it's important to plan for the long term since hairloss is unpredicable and donor hair is finite. Being that Dr. Feller is an ethical doctor, I'd like to hear from you or someone regarding your case and why he chose to operate on you. 1800 grafts is not a lot of grafts in the scheme of things, but it also does depend on how large or small of an area they were transplanted. Do you have any pictures you can post of your surgery? Also...are you on finasteride to prevent future loss? Look forward to hearing from you.

Bill

Hi Stu-

Welcome to the forum icon_smile.gif.

I won't reiterate the other Q's but am curious as to your details and why you received the green light for a HT at your age with Dr. Feller. He's a great Doc, I'm just wondering what the particulars were? Did you just have a high hairline with no loss? How low is the new hairline in cm's measured from your eyebrows up?

Not trying to be critical..........Doc Feller is top notch and I'm sure your psyched icon_wink.gif! When you see something out of the norm for HT's, it's just nice to hear a few details. icon_smile.gif

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Spex,

I'm glad to see you responded to this post. That IS indeed the issue at hand...planning for the future. Knowing Dr. Feller, he wouldn't take on a patient at an early age like that unless he felt it was beneficial for him as part of a long term plan and the patient understands and agrees to it. That's why age is an important factor in determining a plan of action, but certainly it's not a big red X which means no transplant. It's about starting conservatively and recognizing the long term commitment. I WOULD like to see pictures of this patient if he is willing to share them, especially the immediately post op pictures. I trust that the hairline planned for this patient was more conservative and not set down too low.

Bill

OK, my response to the above questions...

1) My hairline is naturally high

2) I have receeded back about 1.5 inches too which makes my forehead look massive

3) The transplant that i got was conservative. Dr Feller said that he could have brought my hairline down by about an inch more but wouldn't because of my age

4) My transplant basically just filled in the areas that had receeded so i now have a straight hairline, which is what i wanted. The high hairline suited my face shape, but i was always very conscious about the recession

5) Yes i am taking Propecia, i have been for about a year, to prevent any loss on top.

Stuart

Good luck and have fun growing your hair stu, it's an awesome experience!

Dr. Feller is a great doc and I'm sure he hasn't done wrong by ya. What I'm thinking he did was give you a good, mature hairline that will look good now and will look better as you get older.

Heal well!

Thanks for the replies, Stu-

I'm glad to hear your statement about Dr. Feller and the hairline not being brought further down........if you receded 1.5" by age 20, I'm guessing you have a good bit of loss coming but, at the same time, maybe you'll be a great responder to Propecia icon_smile.gif? On that note, glad to hear you're taking it to stave off further loss in the future.

Congrats to you.............do you have any pics you can share of the HT?

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Stu,

Thanks for answering all the questions....you respond like me....point by point in numeric format. I find it's easier to organizing my thoughts that way icon_smile.gif.

I am glad to hear about the more conservative hairline....Dr. Feller is 100% correct in doing it that way. And I'm glad you feel it suits you too. Just think...if you don't experience a lot of loss, in another 10-15 years, you can always lower the hairline if you want. But it's good to keep a LOT of donor in reserve at this point in case of future loss.

Congrats again on the surgery!

Bill

I don't really want my hairline lowered....all of my friends have said that they hadn't really noticed my high hairline and it suits my face shape. Which is true. And *correction* i've just measured my recession and it's probably more like an inch than 1.5. I haven't really lost any hair since taking Propecia, apart from the recessions which are now sorted. I have a couple of pics post op but they're a bit rubbish. Nevertheless i've attached them. I'll get some better ones and then post them up

STu

DSC00315.JPG.3090d2a986329b842c00629b494a9b20.JPG

Hey Stu-

Just thought I'd point out that it looks like the grafts were placed in the temples/widows peak.....not really the hairline in the front, correct?

If you're looking for other post-op pics, I believe most clinics will have some for their records. YOu may want to email Dr. Feller's office and see icon_confused.gif??

Best of luck...........the work looks solid as expected from Dr. Feller icon_cool.gif.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I may be going back in the chair for the same thing (temples/widows peak touch up) at some point...........hope you'll stay around and post updates so I can see what mine will look like if I do it! icon_cool.gif

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog