Density and shock loss :

Hi - A question for the veterans,

I am Norwood 3A. Frontal density is around

20-40 hair per sq cm. That is, it generally

looks full, but after a shower and when

groomed looks quite thin and the scalp can

be seen through. Also, I am Asian so probably

have medium coarse hair.

I am thinking a transplant (1500 -2K grafts ) which will add density to the frontal region and to the hairline.

Questions:

1.) Since I have some density in the frontal region, some doctors tell me the shock loss

will be high and could outweigh the benefits

of a transplant.

As I think on this, it implies that no one

with existsing hair should be thinking of

adding density because of significant

shock loss ? 20-40 hair per sq cm is almost

considered bald!

Is there any good study on shock loss and

how could it be reduced, what percentage is

reversible. And at what existing density does

it start making sense to add density?

Other dosctors have told me not to worry about shock loss. All my opinions are from the top in

the field

Thanks,

Sean

Hi - A question for the veterans,

I am Norwood 3A. Frontal density is around

20-40 hair per sq cm. That is, it generally

looks full, but after a shower and when

groomed looks quite thin and the scalp can

be seen through. Also, I am Asian so probably

have medium coarse hair.

I am thinking a transplant (1500 -2K grafts ) which will add density to the frontal region and to the hairline.

Questions:

1.) Since I have some density in the frontal region, some doctors tell me the shock loss

will be high and could outweigh the benefits

of a transplant.

As I think on this, it implies that no one

with existsing hair should be thinking of

adding density because of significant

shock loss ? 20-40 hair per sq cm is almost

considered bald!

Is there any good study on shock loss and

how could it be reduced, what percentage is

reversible. And at what existing density does

it start making sense to add density?

Other dosctors have told me not to worry about shock loss. All my opinions are from the top in

the field

Thanks,

Sean

I have had a HT in the temple, top and crown area of total 1684 grafts.

I had approx same desity as you have, and experienced shock-loss. I guess - 10-20% less dense now than before the HT.

Its is 4.5 months since the procedure, and I have no growth yet. I think its late, but most people say 2-6 months is normal. My TP-hairs fell out very late, so I should be in the restingphase still..

Normaly the majority of the shock lost-hairs will grow back, according to most doctors and poster on this forum, so I dont think it is any reason to go bold before you take some action.

icon_razz.gif

My situation seemed similar to yours - I went in for 1500 FU in the frontal region (ended up with 1900). Had some density in that region, except for the recession area, at least 30 - 40. I THINK I suffered a little shock loss, but it was hard to tell cause I also wore my hair shorter for awhile. Regardless, now at 7 mos, I have no effects of shock loss, or at least the gains have outweighed it. Also started taking Propecia about 3 mos prior to the procedure, might have helped. The past 2 months have been outstanding. My mother actually made a comment tonight, whom I've never told about having this done, but she asked if I was doing anything with my hair because it looked fuller. I told her "just wearing it longer I guess".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> My mother actually made a comment tonight, whom I've never told about having this done, but she asked if I was doing anything with my hair because it looked fuller. I told her "just wearing it longer I guess".

Nice !!!

"Yeah Mom, I cant believe that old bottle of Rogaine is finally kicking in !!!" Gosh after 6 years, finally something. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Congrats

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 years later...
I have had a HT in the temple, top and crown area of total 1684 grafts.

I had approx same desity as you have, and experienced shock-loss. I guess - 10-20% less dense now than before the HT.

Its is 4.5 months since the procedure, and I have no growth yet. I think its late, but most people say 2-6 months is normal. My TP-hairs fell out very late, so I should be in the restingphase still..

Normaly the majority of the shock lost-hairs will grow back, according to most doctors and poster on this forum, so I dont think it is any reason to go bold before you take some action.

icon_razz.gif

Did your shock loss grow back? In same situation.