What was discussed at the Convention?

GuitarPlayer

• Administrators

I never knew where the expression "splitting hairs" came from until I attended my first International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery (ISHRS) meeting several years ago. Frankly, having attended several of these annual meetings, most of the four days consists of physicians presenting variations on last year's issues in new powerpoint slide shows.

But usually within this four day conference there are a few gems of wisdom and perhaps even a real innovation.

However, those innovative ideas that challenge/threaten the status quo are typically derided by the surgeons who don't want to rise to the challenge of even more demanding techniques. Their arguments typical include such comments as "the blood supply won't support the hair follicles . . . the grafts are too small . . . they won't grow . . . "

I think Dr. Bill Rassman said it best years ago when he said "Those who say it can't be done should not stand in the way of those doing it every day." Ten years later and these words still ring true.

While the mega sessions of follicular units seemed to be a "no brainer" improvement over mini micros grafts to patients years ago (yes, relocate hair as it actually grows naturally) many surgeons fought it.

Now days most physicians either perform follicular unit grafting or at least advertise that they do in their infomercials. And some have even purchased microscopes for display in case a patient asks to see one.

Today those on the cutting edge have once again moved the bar higher with Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Grafting and those who don't want to stretch even higher are once again saying - "the blood supply won't support the densely packed hair follicles . . . the grafts are too small . . . it won't all grow . . ."

And once again the educated patients see Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Grafting as a "no brainer" improvement over standard follicular unit grafting.

Yes, as they say - "The more things change the more they stay the same."

I would have attended this year's ISHRS meeting in Sydney except the governing board under Tony Mangubat's Presidential leadership changed the rules for issuing press passes so that web publishers like me would be considered non credentialed media.

Yes, they can't have hair loss web publishers poking around learning about the hair restoration profession/industry and then sharing the information online.

But when you're Dr. Tony Mangubat in Seattle and you prepare your grafts using dozens of razor blades spaced 1mm apart, which then with one blow chop the donor strip into 1mm pieces of hair bearing skin that he calls grafts, why let Web publishers see what you're up to, right?

Perhaps some day the ISHRS will realize, that like TV in the 1950's and 60's, the Internet is an emerging medium that actually qualifies as "Press".

But like hair transplantation itself, it may once again require several years for them to catch up to what is obvious to most today.

But I expect with Dr. Paul Rose assuming the Presidency more enlightened rules and concepts will be introduced.

I'll see if I can covertly gather up some highlights on the conference from some of my well planted sources at the meeting for this forum :-)

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

Banning website owners and moderators from the meeting is just shooting themselves in the foot. It's 2005 and the internet isn't going away, it's only going to get bigger and more important.

The patients know that sharing information equals progress, and better results.

Maybe some of the older doctors are afraid of changes, or their surgical approach can't withstand a little scrutiny and discussion. They fear an "educated consumer". So what does that tell you about those doctors?

Originally posted by arfy:

Banning website owners and moderators from the meeting is just shooting themselves in the foot. It's 2005 and the internet isn't going away, it's only going to get bigger and more important.

The patients know that sharing information equals progress, and better results.

Maybe some of the older doctors are afraid of changes, or their surgical approach can't withstand a little scrutiny and discussion. They fear an "educated consumer". So what does that tell you about those doctors?

Exactly, but it is interesting to see the cross-section of physicians that wanted to shun the free exchange of info. They are usually the ones with something to hide.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Did they touch on why can't I get my patients to go for their sixth surgery or how to turn a no into a yes this year? To not allow Pat to be there reaks of secrecy and underhandedness.Patients need to know what they have up their sleeves to protect themselves.We are who they are SELLING to.Maybe they feel we are better kept in the dark and write checks to them in blind faith. Sorry to say most have abused that priveledge to a tragic degree.Why don't we boycott hair transplants for a month or two in protest of them not allowing an advocate into the meeting.

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

Pat, as you know, I'm fairly new to this site but the credibility, research and information I've gained here has been tremendously valuable. For them not to let you attend is rediculous and says much about the state of their industry. I'm guessing/hoping that the good Docs mentioned on this site didn't have anything to do with your absence.

Too bad that an objective person, like you seem to be, couldn't attend. If it weren't for infomercials, where would some of these guys be?

All I can say is that I'm glad I found this site and get honest feedback from you, Kat, Zerro and others or I'd probably be justifying why I just spent $11,000 at one of the factories instead of narrowing my selection of very innovative and quality Dr's.

The qualities I look for in a Dr. are the same qualities I try to live by in business and at home. Success is not a birthright or a given, just do the right thing for your clients (patients) everyday, make good choices and the rest will take care of itself.

Your web site, with it's members and research has helped me find that there are Dr's out there with these same qualities.

Thank you,

Artiste