Amt of graphs question

I just received a consultation from a top rated doctor in my area.

He advised that he would only give 1000 graphs in my hairline because the hair behind it could fallout overtime and it would look un-natural. He also advised that he would graph appx 1 cm above my hairline because the hairline is low (thinning) and this would look more natural if the front row of thinning hair fell out (creating a higher hairline).

He stated that a higher amount of graphs would overlap the good hair and cause it to fall out.

I know this is tough to comprehend without pictures but does this make sense to anyone?

I just received a consultation from a top rated doctor in my area.

He advised that he would only give 1000 graphs in my hairline because the hair behind it could fallout overtime and it would look un-natural. He also advised that he would graph appx 1 cm above my hairline because the hairline is low (thinning) and this would look more natural if the front row of thinning hair fell out (creating a higher hairline).

He stated that a higher amount of graphs would overlap the good hair and cause it to fall out.

I know this is tough to comprehend without pictures but does this make sense to anyone?

Yes, it makes sense. If you have too much native hair in an area, the transplanted hairs could transect the native hairs, and you could wind up with a net loss.

I would also suggest getting several other docs' opinions on what they reccomend for you. You can do a consultation by phone/email if they arent close to you.

It does make sense but I would get a second opinion.

I had my first HT about a year ago, 1200 grafts mostly in front and on top. At the time of the procedure, I figured to be NW 4 or 5 on the baldness scale and for me, 1200 was not near enough to get the results I'm looking for so I'm planning another session.

You can have shockloss of native hairs around where the grafts are placed so it is a concern. My understanding is that this shockloss happens to hair you will eventually lose anyway. I don't know to what degree you may experience it? I did have some with my first procedure and noticed a "thinning" around where the grafts were placed. I don't think they came back!

Anyway, it definitely depends on your degree of loss, what you want to achieve.....and many other things. Again, I also recommend you get a few other professional opinions.

How old are you and what is your degree of loss.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by rottun:

he would only give 1000 graphs in my hairline because the hair behind it could fallout overtime

The magic phrase here is "could fallout". How old are you? What's your current Norwood status? Are you currently experiencing rapid hair loss?

Like 'hairbank' mentioned in his post, get some more opinions.