Tanning Bed Question

Ok guys this might be a dumb question but if I went to the tanning beds before my TP do u think it would matter? I am worried that my light tone of skin would show that I had a TP being that I am only taking 1 day off work.

Darker skin tone would cover most of the red spots on my head icon_redface.gif

Newscan.gif

Ok guys this might be a dumb question but if I went to the tanning beds before my TP do u think it would matter? I am worried that my light tone of skin would show that I had a TP being that I am only taking 1 day off work.

Darker skin tone would cover most of the red spots on my head icon_redface.gif

Newscan.gif

Prolonged redness can occur, as Mahair pointed out, however there are variables to consider such as your skin type and the techniques the physician you select employs.

Take a look at my album (link located on the left side of this post) to see an example of how long redness can last. I am naturally pretty pale but I am a relatively fast healer. Everyone heals differently and the manner in which the body will react can also differ.

Check with the physician(s) that you are considering during your consultation(s) for their recommendations for tanning in the weeks preceding surgery.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Unless you're really lucky and heal exceptionally well or maybe are having a very small procedure, you're probably going to need to take more time off work than a day.

I had a 2700+ graft procedure in October 2005. Everything went according to plan, and I've healed very well, but the week after the procedure was pretty rough. I had swelling all over my face which took about four days to drain away and clear up, and I didn't even have it as bad as a lot of guys. It's not uncommon for eyes to temporarily swell up, which thankfully didn't happen to me.

Regardless, good luck. I hope everything works out for you. But don't think this is some minor procedure.

Redness is an issue that concerns a lot of patients however I feel it is not as serious as some would say.

Yes, the redness can last several months but it is not "red" per se but more of a light pink, something more akin to a light sunburn. On top of that, you will have hair where the scalp is slightly discolored in only a few months. Overall, I have found from personal experience that the discoloration is not something that others focus on as we become hypersenstive to all signs that could indicate something was done.

I'm not trying to downplay the issue so that you don't think it is there. I just think that it is not as bad as some may think going in. Of course, this also depends greatly on which doctor you choose, the size of the instruments and of course the technique used to make the incisions.

Tanning before a procedure does help however but you do not want to overdue it by getting burned pre-op.

If you are only taking one day off from work then you will have to consider the fact that you will not only have a reddish scalp (the pinkness comes a few days later) but you will also have scabbing which is a bit more difficult to explain away. Of course, you can simply bite the bullet and go commando knowing that in six months no one will remember because you'll have hair (I did).

The Truth is in The Results

Dr. Victor Hasson and Dr. Jerry Wong are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I actually tanned before my HT. Well, at least as much as my pale skin would let me. I still had redness, or pinkness as Jotronics states for quite a while.

I agree with Jotronic. The scabbing will be visible for up to a week unless you have exiting hair to cover it and the doctor does not shave it off.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Rockwell, hit the tanner... But don't worry about any ill effect. It's very rare.

Usually it go's away within a week or two.

And ignore Mahair.. He has a mission to bring down the industry. Personel reasons, that he wants everyone to suffer from.

"The first cut is the deepest, if you listen to nay sayers" Mahair

Thanks for answering my question guys! I did however get my first tan and things are looking better allready.I am looking forward to a nice tan along with my TP. Just knowing my TP date is coming soon I feel better about myself allready. icon_wink.gif

Thanks all =p

Newscan.gif

All my options have been considered and with the support I been getting on the forms this has only helped me bridge my gap once and for all.It sounds like you got a bad deal on your TP but keep this in mind " anything can be fixed" Your hair cant look that bad dude and if it does get another TP. Some of the PIC's I see on this site of all the hair TP look great and I can only hope mine turns out as good as the rest of the members here. And if for some reason it doesn't I am ready to deal with whatever comes my way.It's a chance you take in order to restore happiness in your life.

Newscan.gif

Then take chances brother.Don,t listen to hair? be there he,s dellusional. Good luck.Did you see them in person? Did you ask how many they had? Are you worried at all about future hairloss?

"The first cut is the deepest." Cat Stevens

First off with my hair loss I am only looking at 2000 / 2500 grafs. Future hairloss is a part of life! Now if I can keep what I have for another 10 years I am a happy man.No I did not see them in person but the questions I see them asking is everything I am going through.

I have learned a lot from this site and I am greatfull. Now if I did not find this site I think I would be feeling somewhat like you.

Newscan.gif

im 5 1/2 months post op from a minor ht(500 grafts into my temples)and my recipient area is still pink. This has me really worried because i didnt get satisfactory results(even though i went to a top recommended doc) in one of my temple areas and now the pinkness draws even more attention! My right temple area is still slightly pink but the grafts grew in to cover it, but in my left temple the grafts came in very thin and sparse and you can clearly see the pinkish recipient area. Is there any type of cream I can use that will clear the pinkish area? Is there anything a dermetalogist can do? This has me freaked out becuase my back up plan was if the ht didnt come out well or if years down the road i started to lose more hair i would just shave my head completly bald, but i cant even do that now because of the pinkish areas! Should i be worried or will eventually these areas clear up and be unnoticable and back to normal?

Mr. Invisible. For temporary cover, a little makeup like Almay Soft Beige works wonders. It's easy to put on, even where there is hair.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album

The pinkness should definitely not be permanent. Discuss with the physician(s) that you consult with your concerns, and be sure to ask what they do to minimize trauma to the recipient area that will result in prolonged redness. Physicians that utilize the latest in Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation do so for reasons such as:

- limited trauma to the recipient area, allowing for faster healing and a more rapid return to natural skin color.

- higher graft growth yield. Cleaner and more precise incisions and placement of the grafts helps to ensure that more survive and flourish after transplantation.

This highly refined method of surgery demands more work and attention from the physician, but pays off huge for the patient, not only in factors of healing, but also in the fully mature hair transplant.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

The red dots quickly fade and it becomes a ping hue on the scalp. That ping hue could last from a few days to a few months. Depends on the person.

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

My Photo Album