request for help/advice plz

Hi fellow board-members,

I have been suffering from hair-loss for quite some time, and now it has become real bad. I have been looking at lot of material (basically on the Net), getting myself somewhat educated, and have discovered this forum recently! (how I wish I would have come across this early!)

Am finding this board so informative, and people seem to exchange frank views and their experiences, hence I want to request all experts (and not-so-experts tooicon_smile.gif to please help/advice me on medication/HT (am seriously considering HT too) -

=> minoxidil - within few days of using this, I saw small boils like things on my temple, and also the face started getting very oily (because the lotion would be dripping

on down). As it is I have somewhat oily scalp, so this was really irritating.

and, importantly, as if the existing hair-loss was not enough, I started getting mild headache when I applied it and the scalp became itchy (this also, as I have read, is

quite normal with use of minoxidil), but the main thing is, the shedding also increased.

So, I really don't know if I should continue use of minoxidil.

=> finasteride - although it's well known that the side-effects occur with only small no. of people (say only 2%), but since they are related to decreased libido/prob with

erection/ejaculation, I only want to ask one thing.

If, that is, if at all, one experiences such side effect/s, is it confirmed that they GO AWAY with discontinuing of the tablet??

It would be really good to know the experience of some user, if one had any, or even better, an opinion of a doctor?

=> is there any other medicine (that you might be taking for some other sickness at some point of time) which should not be taken when one is taking finasteride?

Apologize for longish post.

If anyone wishes to help me offline, please PM me, as I have few more probably silly (but important for me) questions regarding HT.

Thx,

Hi fellow board-members,

I have been suffering from hair-loss for quite some time, and now it has become real bad. I have been looking at lot of material (basically on the Net), getting myself somewhat educated, and have discovered this forum recently! (how I wish I would have come across this early!)

Am finding this board so informative, and people seem to exchange frank views and their experiences, hence I want to request all experts (and not-so-experts tooicon_smile.gif to please help/advice me on medication/HT (am seriously considering HT too) -

=> minoxidil - within few days of using this, I saw small boils like things on my temple, and also the face started getting very oily (because the lotion would be dripping

on down). As it is I have somewhat oily scalp, so this was really irritating.

and, importantly, as if the existing hair-loss was not enough, I started getting mild headache when I applied it and the scalp became itchy (this also, as I have read, is

quite normal with use of minoxidil), but the main thing is, the shedding also increased.

So, I really don't know if I should continue use of minoxidil.

=> finasteride - although it's well known that the side-effects occur with only small no. of people (say only 2%), but since they are related to decreased libido/prob with

erection/ejaculation, I only want to ask one thing.

If, that is, if at all, one experiences such side effect/s, is it confirmed that they GO AWAY with discontinuing of the tablet??

It would be really good to know the experience of some user, if one had any, or even better, an opinion of a doctor?

=> is there any other medicine (that you might be taking for some other sickness at some point of time) which should not be taken when one is taking finasteride?

Apologize for longish post.

If anyone wishes to help me offline, please PM me, as I have few more probably silly (but important for me) questions regarding HT.

Thx,

raj_shri99, You're getting your feet wet, raj, and it takes little or no time to get over that--the hang of the meds that is. I can't advise on Minoxidil, but with HTs at the point there at now, you have excellent chance of a good looking head of hair. Study the before and after photos and talk to the knowledgeable people here and you'll come out ahead! I've had no side effects of Propecia, and as you know many don't.

raj,

Welcome to the community.

Regarding minoxodil...have you considered trying Rogaine Foam? It isn't oily and therefore won't run down the forehead/face and hopefully you won't experience the same side effects. I also hear that it's more gentle on the scalp.

I have read that side effects, if you experience them are irreversible once you stop taking finasteride.

Bill

Hi Raj,

I agree with Bill. I user Rogaine foam with no side effects. It is easy to use and not messy at all. Just be sure to follow the directions as it can easily dissipate from the warmth of your hand.

HIGA

2400 Grafts with Dr. Epstein 11/8/06

Nizoral 3X/week

Rogaine foam 2x/day

Our clinic supports the use of Rogaine foam with 1mg of finasteride each day. I'm amazed by the difference using both products make on males with MPB. Good luck!

is thare any ht in the bay area im real new and i would apperact any help from anyone on this matter,i all most gave up,intell i found this great sight thanks to all of you at least im not alone anymore

Thanks for some encouraging words here.

(1) minoxidil - so, do people experience more shedding?

is it normal?

(2) Regarding Rogaine foam - is this something like a shaving foam? In that case, I guess that would be much easier to apply and live with.

there is one small hitch though.

I live in India, and not too sure if this is available in India.

(will look for it though or I need to check if someone travelling from US I can request the same)

(3) finasteride - yes, I have read many places that say the side effects affect (if they do) to only small % of users. But at the same time I have also seen forums which only talk about those.

Anyways.

What can one do? If the side-effects would have been, say, stomach pain, or something like that, that was ok I felt. Since they are supposed to do something to your libido/semen, wished to be more cautious, that 's it.

I have observed few BM's here who work with doctors (who are related to this field).

Can I request those people's advice on - whether the side effects (if they occur) "go away" if one stops the finasteride tablet?

Thx again to all,

raj,

Shedding is common with minoxodil for the first 3 months or so (give or take)...but this is a good thing as the weaker hairs are shedding and will grow back healthier and thicker. This is a sign of the medication working.

Regarding finasteride...

Are you saying you've read people posting that they've taken finasteride, stopped, and never lost side effects?

I suppose we have to ask...how do we really know that the decrease in libido or sexual problems they are experiencing were really from finasteride? What data do we have?

May physical problems are also created by our mental state...if we think something, it will be true. I'm not talking scientology or new age stuff here...I'm just talking aobut the power of the mind. If we believe we are going to have bad side effects from medication, we probably will. This is because of the anxiety we are facing rather than a physical response the the medication. It is POSSIBLE (though I'm only speculating) that many people suffering from side effects while on finasteride or STILL suffering from side effects after the medication, are suffering from them because of their anxiety and nothing else.

Experientially, All I can tell you is I've read that side effects are reversible after a few months of non-use AND I haven't experienced side effects.

But do continue your research and let me know how it goes.

Bill

Originally posted by its752:

raj_shri99, You're getting your feet wet, raj, and it takes little or no time to get over that--the hang of the meds that is. I can't advise on Minoxidil, but with HTs at the point there at now, you have excellent chance of a good looking head of hair. Study the before and after photos and talk to the knowledgeable people here and you'll come out ahead! I've had no side effects of Propecia, and as you know many don't.

its752,

wat are you talking about? You work for one of the clinics, do you? You havent seen the extent of raj's hairloss and anyuthing about his age etc., but you are ready to tell him that anyone can get a good head of hair with ht.

Shame on you.

(2) Regarding Rogaine foam - is this something like a shaving foam? In that case, I guess that would be much easier to apply and live with.

there is one small hitch though.

I live in India, and not too sure if this is available in India.

(will look for it though or I need to check if someone travelling from US I can request the same)

(3) finasteride - yes, I have read many places that say the side effects affect (if they do) to only small % of users. But at the same time I have also seen forums which only talk about those.

You can buy the foam online and they will deliver it to you. No prob.

As for the sex issues, I agree with you.

When I went to Dr. Arvind, he said the same thing. The side effects, if they occur, are reversible. Still, I'll prefer to hear reports from a lot of people saying they experienced sides and the effects disappeared when they stopped the finax. I know I sound selfish, but when it comes to such issues, I guess, its ok to be selfish. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Bill:

Regarding finasteride...

Are you saying you've read people posting that they've taken finasteride, stopped, and never lost side effects?

Bill

Bill,

I read something to that effect on some other sites/forum.

But as we know, everything posted on the Net need/should not be taken in 100% authenticity, should be taken with a pinch of salt.

I also DO agree with you that many problems can be mental, esp regarding libido/sex.

ALL men would like to believe they have more libido, that their libido shouldn't be affected or d**k shouldn't decrease (referring to the shrinking genital post also elsewhere).

That's why when it comes libido etc, surely it can be a mental factor.

Having said that, we have to agree that (from my limited knowledge) the drug is meant for reducing/blocking effect of male hormone (that causes hair loss) and hence it 'can' have the said effects. IMHO, like side effects of any drug, which may/may not happen with everyone, this might depend on the person's physical condition/age/general body constitution/fitness/immunity in general, etc etc.

Anyways.

Further, to think, 2% isn't that small a number. If you take a million users, 20000 can have the side effects, right?

Jolly,

Still, I'll prefer to hear reports from a lot of people saying they experienced sides and the effects disappeared when they stopped the finax. I know I sound selfish, but when it comes to such issues, I guess, its ok to be selfish.

This is exactly I was asking.

If we hear from someone that he did experience such effect/s and they went away after stopping the drug, that would be good, right?

When it comes to such issues, as you say, I (and may be many new users like me) would feel much better to hear from experinced (reg effects) folks or doctors.

Thanks Bill/Jolly and all.

(I am liking this forum even more now)

I'm not saying don't ever use finasteride. I'm on the stuff right now.

But having said that, everything I've been able to read about finasteride & MPB users makes me think that the 2% number for the side effects is absolutely bullsh*t. I'd bet 1000 grafts of my donor hair that the true number is a lot higher than that.

Just for one example:

I've read that that numerous men in Merck's studies dropped out of the trials before they were finished. That's not abnormal by itself. But apparently these cases were NOT factored into any of the side-effect findings! (You don't suppose than any of them might have quit the drug because of ED problems, do you?)

The good news:

There's also a lot of user feedback that the side effects seem to reverse themselves with time if you quit the drug. Most people seem to find that it takes a lot longer than just a few days to get back to normal, but they're usually feeling a lot better a few months after they've quit the stuff even if they had spent a couple of years using it.

Although this is not every case. Some users have complained that they never quite got back to 100% pre-Finasteride, and there are a few real horror stories of problems that do seem to be pretty permanent.

(But it makes me wonder about the timeframe: If you spent several years on the drug, you're also just OLDER for chrissakes! That issue alone decreases your sex drive at least a little bit, especially if you started Finasteride during your 20s/30s.)

------------------------------------------------

raj_shri,

Are you from the land of gavaskar and tendulkar.

Just curious! I had a friend from amchi mumbai with the same name.