When Should I Start?

Hi! I am now 11 days post op. All of my scars are gone. When should I start up with the Rogaine? Some people say 7 days and others longer. When is it safe to resume with minox?

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hi! I am now 11 days post op. All of my scars are gone. When should I start up with the Rogaine? Some people say 7 days and others longer. When is it safe to resume with minox?

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

Hi Hairfree....

Others will most assuredly disagree, but IF you are going to resume minox, I have always been of the opinion that one should resume using minox when post-op redness subsides a bit.

I would say a 2-3 weeks after surgery would be ok.

Just want to make sure you do not irritate the scalp or potentially cause some inflammation that could keep your scalp red for a longer period of time.

In any case, 2 weeks should be good, but 3 seems better to me.

(Just opinion, of course)

J

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hairfree,

I actually am even more cautious than B Spot. As a general rule, I would actually wait a full month before applying minoxodil again to avoid any additional scalp irritation. HOWEVER, since scalp irritation and redness can occur for several weeks to even a couple months after surgery, you should probably play it be ear.

That being said, knowing your case...if you are only applying minoxodil in the crown area, since you had no work done there, you are safe to start now. If you are going to put it in the front, I'd wait awhile...your scalp is still pink.

But...I actually wonder why you'd want to use the stuff in your case? You have no loss in the back and are already on finasteride. The front has been taken care of with surgery. Personally, I'd ditch the stuff...save yourself the money and the messy regime. That's my opinon icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

Hairfree,

Have you used minox before? If so, you will know how your skin reacts to it. If you don't have a bad reaction to it before the HT, you most likely will not have a bad reaction after.

It is generally considered safe to start minox 7 days after a HT. The other guys bring up some good points, so you'll have to decide for yourself.

I can speak from personal experience. I am a good responder to minox and it does not irritate my scalp in any way. I decided to restart minox 7 days after my last transplant. I used it years ago and should have continued. I like the foam much better than the old stuff. I have no irritation from it and much of my transplanted hair didn't shed. It just started growing. I think it is due to the minox. BTW, I use it in the front part of my scalp (I don't have any crown loss).

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Thanks guys!

Gorpy - I have used Minox before with good results. I think my hairloss might have happened much faster at a younger age if it wasnt for Minox. I started using minox when I was 22 yrs old. It definately helped me to thicken up again and slow down the loss. When I stopped used the Minox over a year ago the hairloss really picked up and thats when I got to the point where I decided to go for the HT.

Anyway, my scalp is pretty sensitive to the Minox. I used to get flaky skin from it. When I restarted using it a couple months ago before the HT I noticed new hairs growing and an improvement from using it. I think that I might be able to get some new regrowth and maybe speed up growth of the new hairs by using it. I might go and give the foam a try. Everyone has been saying positive things about it. I am going start using it in a few days. I am now on Day 12. The pink in the area is now all gone. I am going to continue with the Aloe for a couple more days and then Minox time! I will start light and slow with the stuff.

Thank you everyone for your advice!

HAIRFREE

DR. RAHAL - 4/4/07

3489 grafts - 7571 hairs

455 single hairs

1986 double hairs

1048 three hairs

I have posted this on other messages too but, I will ALWAYS support Rogaine/Minox. I have used since I was 22 (now almost 27). The back of my hair is still extremely thick. I also posted that I run it through my head as a thickener. I was able to mask some of my frontal hairloss just by using Rogaine. Almost 4 months into my first HT and I use it everyday to thicken hair. Another side note: I used it every day from 22 until 25(When I met my wife). We lived together and I was embarrassed to use it. Well...those 3 "embarrassed" months I lost more hair than ever before. Just an fyi...