post surgery

hey guys. Just wondering those who have had transplants of around 1-1500 units: how long do you experience redness for at the front of your scalp where the transplants have been done and when does the back of your scalp, where the donor hair has been taken, feel normal. I have seen some pictures and the weird looking red dots look a little scary to me-do they go away fully. with the back of the skull, is there any tightness experienced after a few weeks. Im just contemplating whether i should consider the procedure before or after going overseas in july, if i will be recovered by then fully as i dont want any hassles when trying to have the best time of my life holidaying in the greek islands for 2 months.

hey guys. Just wondering those who have had transplants of around 1-1500 units: how long do you experience redness for at the front of your scalp where the transplants have been done and when does the back of your scalp, where the donor hair has been taken, feel normal. I have seen some pictures and the weird looking red dots look a little scary to me-do they go away fully. with the back of the skull, is there any tightness experienced after a few weeks. Im just contemplating whether i should consider the procedure before or after going overseas in july, if i will be recovered by then fully as i dont want any hassles when trying to have the best time of my life holidaying in the greek islands for 2 months.

It's been one month since my 1500 HT. I think redness will vary from person to person. I'm a fair skinned person, but prior to the surgery, I tanned a little.

In my experience, for the first week or so, you could definitely tell where the hairs were, and there was scabbing although nothing that looked extremely abnormal. I stayed at home the entire week afterwards, kept the scalp moist at all times ( with a tiny spray bottle). I had virtually no swelling, and I never detected any redness whatsoever.

As far as the feeling of the donor area, I never really had any pain. They prescribed valium for any post-surgery discomfort, and I took one the first night ( even though I didnt feel like I needed it, I just took it to make me sleep well and rest). It didnt do anything for me, so I just didnt bother with the rest.

After the first week, I've felt pretty much the same since. No more itch, slight tightness ( although only noticeable if the donor area is pressed up against something), and really no actual discomfort.

I know a lot of other guys will have had different experiences, and my best advice would be hope for the best but plan for the worst. I think you'd be completely ok to travel.

Make sure you keep your new transplants out of the sun. You might even be best advised to avoid sunning your transplanted scalp in general, until much later.

Wear a hat when you are in the sun. Sun can damage your grafts. Also, scarred skin will take on the sun differently than non-scarred skin. Any tanning you do on your head might accentuate where the grafts are.

Keep your head covered at the beach, and out of the sun in general.

Stay away from the sun, and especally saltwater. There should be NO swimming whatsoever. Saltwater from the ocean will KILL your new hair folicules.

I had 1800+ grafts done four months ago and my scalp is still a little more pink than my face. I still have a lot of original hair left and the grafts are at a good length, so you can't notice it. The scar however is still noticeable if not combed "correctly" and especially noticable when wet. I also experienced a lot of ingrown hairs that resulted in big "zits" on my scalp between the second and third month. I still have a few.

You may want to wait until after your trip to do it, but that's my opinion based on my experience.

Hope this helps!

The red dots are scabs that usually fall off by the second or third week. But again, the ingrown zits can look wierd around the second to third month.

At four months, most of the numbness has gone away, however, I still feel sore around the donor scar at times - never any pain though.

You may not be "fully" recovered for months after.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate, how are you. just letting you know that i have seen afew doctors and they have told me that salt water is actually very good for your new grafts and donor scar, as it helps the healing process. It is quite an interesting issue, however i have been told to stay out of the sun or cover my head at all times which i will find very frustrating when holidaying. As i result, together with other reasons of possible delayed recovery, i have decided to have my trip first and then consider having a transplant after i return! Have a good one!

• 10 months later...

Tanning is a BAD idea because it makes your skin tight and swell...not good for grafts, as a matter of fact you should be on an anti-swelling medication. Also OCEAN salt water is very good for the new garfts and is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! icon_biggrin.gif

So you're saying to keep the grafts out of the sun and salt water for good or just a few months after you get the transplant? I don't want to go my whole life avoiding the sun and salt water!

Brando....I think what they're saying is that you should be avoiding the sun post-op, although I'm not sure to what extent....I couldnt comment on the exact amount of time. I tanned prior to surgery (not the day of, just enough to get some good color in my skin, and if I recall, not within 1 or 2 weeks of the surgery). I tanned just in case I did experience redness. I wanted any possible redness to be disguised by the extra color in my skin.

You should be fine to be exposed to the sun and saltwater after a certain amount of time (I'd definitely consult your HT doc for a recommended time).

It's hard for me to believe that going into the ocean directly after surgery is beneficial for your hair growth. With all the pollutants/toxins in the water, it would seem that there'd be a much greater chance for harm. I have nothing to back this up medically or scientifically, but I'm pretty sure a floating condom and people's urine aren't going to be on any recommended list anytime soon.