Rogaine ITCHES! Can I scratch?

jackisback1

Guest Cousin_It

Jackisback...

Since you have not had a transplant you do not have to worry about damaging any grafts, but scatching can make it worse, especially if you begin to irritate the scalp. How long have you been using Rogaine? Which form are you using, liquid or foam. From my experience after a while the liquid can cause this type of problem due to the propylene glycol content, it usually passes but you may have to drop it for a few days to let things normalize. Consider using the foam when you go back to it, it is less irritating to the scalp and people seldom have problems.

In looking at your profile it states you are using Nioxin and Nizoral, both are excellent shampoos but the Nizoral can be tough on your scalp especially if you are using it frequently. To be perfectly honest, I used it twice, gave me scalp acne, so I dropped it, it never came back after that. Temporarily it may be helpful to switch to a hydrating shampoo, you are drying up your scalp which in turn may be causing the itching. I found the best shampoo is the Matrix Ultra Hydrating for this purpose, otherwise just use some type of baby shampoo. Washing everyday with a harsh shampoo is not good for the scalp. One other tip, put conditioner on your scalp for 15 minutes before you shampoo, this will really moisturize your scalp and go a long way to alleviating the scratching.

I think if you follow this protocol in a few days the itching will be gone, then start the Rogaine foam and use one of the shampoos I mentioned. I follow this regime and have not had any irritation or acne and eveything is growing really well. Hope this helps. Good Luck!

ive been using rogaine for a while, and i've been using the foam and the liquid, whichever is convenient since the foam came out.

it's not itching anymore, that just happens every once in a while and it itches like hell. maybe when i've been consistantly taking it twice a day and not missing any applications for a little while i dont know.

and yeah, i only use nizoral a maximum of twice a week.

I have got to say that I would itch like crazy while on the liguid version of rogaine, but have been on the foam for about two weeks and the itching has completely stopped! To me it dries much faster and is not nearly as greasy as the liquid. It takes about 10 seconds to put on my bald spot and dries very fast where as the liquid would take hours to dry! Will stick with it awhile and see if it can't help my bald spot some.

Guest Cousin_It

When your supply of Rogaine solution finishes just use the foam from then one, not only will you lessen the chance of irritations but it will increase hair growth over the solution. Tests have shown blood levels were twice that of the solution, thereby proving increased absorption.

ok i found something at baldingblog (i love this site)

http://www.baldingblog.com/category/hair-products/page/3/

i never would have imagined that, as frequently i worry that too much of the stuff is getting absorbed in the hair, and not enough in the scalp (especially when i grow my hair out long in the front to cover the hairline)

• 1 year later...

hi,

i ve been using rogaine liquid for 3 months. I had 3 months supply and finished it. It really helped my hair and becaome better. but new 3 months supply is itching my hair and hair loss started again. can it be a fake rogaine? please help