Discontinue Rogaine

jackisback1

I've been taking Rogaine for about 9 months, and my hair's actually been pretty consistant over the past nine months, but I really wonder how big of a difference the Rogaine makes in comparison to the Propecia. Lately the extra blackheads on my face have really been bothering me, on my nose, cheeks, forehead, so i was thinking about quitting.

Has anyone here ever stopped taking rogaine while continuing propecia? I'd like to know the experiences of anyone else who quit.

Jackisblack,

The only problem of quitting rogaine after being on it for so long is that you will lose the hair that it helped you regrow or saved from being lost.

Propecia and Rogaine work differently, the hair grown with Rogaine will not be kept with Propecia.

If you havent noticed a considerable difference while being on it than chances are that you may not lose too much hair. Unfortunately though your mileage may vary.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

if you quit minox, although you may not have noticed its advantage, you will lose all the hairs that ar "dose dependant" on minox....

also, for a period, you will actually go below where you would have been in regards to loss, and it will take much longer to regrow the hairs, if they regrow at all....

minox....a life senence, 2x a day at a time...

I quit Rogaine after about 11 months of using it back in - oh...'98 or so.

Man, that was the worst hair-related decision I ever made. After about 3 months my hair was, quite literally, raining down.

I wouldn't do it dude. Unless you think losing the hair that has become minoxidil-dependant is worth losing the hassle of applying it.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

I'm glad this topic is being discussed. I've been using Rogaine and Propecia for the past seven months with great results. My hair loss has virtually stopped and it seems thicker than before.

However... in the past month I've slacked off on Rogaine use (still using Propecia regularly). Instead of 2x a day, I have been using it about 1x per day (sometimes twice, sometimes zero). A few weeks went by and I didn't really notice anything... to be honest I didn't realize I was becoming so negligent. This week, I'm noticing many more hairs in the sink, and the areas that seemed to benefit from regrowth are getting thin once again.

I'm back to 2x a day, everyday. My question: will I "regrow" the hair that I "regrew"? Will my hair go back to where it was a month or two ago? Also, will I have to go through the shedding stage again?

Many thanks in advance! Hopefully it's good news.

Mike

yeah the 2x daily regimen of Minoxidil sure is annoying and messy as hell. It also sucks that you dont know how much hair is dependent on the Minoxidil until you stop using it and it sheds, by then its too late.

I know its wishfull thinking but I really hope they can combine the Propecia/Minoxidil treatment in the convenience of an all in one pill :-).

Well knowing thats not going to happen anytime soon I guess I will be resorting to the regimen until hair multiplication becomes a viable option.

mistermike -

You should be able to make up any lost ground pretty quickly from just that small bit of negligence. icon_smile.gif

JakeVig -

I have some good news for you. L'Oreal is currently (quietly) testing a minoxidil foam that is speculated to be greasy-less and better-absorbing. I don't think they will be done with trials any time soon, though. Maybe next year? Dunno.

-Robert

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Originally posted by tronxz28:

Really interesting topic because I have been for about 3 weeks without using rogaine now. My intention was to quit on rogaine.

I have felt that rogaine has never really helped me. I was only on rogaine and I had hair loss until I started usingg propecia and then not only the hair loss stopped but I regrew hair.

I was sure that quitting rogaine was not going to affect me that much. Now after reading your posts I feel concern. I do not want to find out the hard way that actually rogaine also was helping.

It is too much of a risk that I dont want to run so I will be back on rogaine ASAP.

Actually I had the same experience when I first used Rogaine over 4 years ago it had no effect I then switched to Propecia but my hairloss still continued. It was only when I used Propecia and Minoxidil together do I believe my hairloss has stabalized. I believe Im also seeing new hairs for the first time as well.

I have some good news for you. L'Oreal is currently (quietly) testing a minoxidil foam that is speculated to be greasy-less and better-absorbing. I don't think they will be done with trials any time soon, though. Maybe next year? Dunno.

Yeah it looks like there are a few options on the horizon. Richard Lee of http://www.minoxidil.com/12.5_1.htm seems to have a 12.5% Minoxidil non-greasy solution that dries rapidly available in the future as well.

Robert do you have a special way to apply Minoxidil I feel like Im wasting a lot of it on my hair. Are you just using the eye dropper that comes with the pack?

Originally posted by Robert_:

mistermike -

You should be able to make up any lost ground pretty quickly from just that small bit of negligence. icon_smile.gif

Thanks Robert - that's encouraging! Like I said before, the results from the combined Rogaine/Propecia regimen have far exceeded my expectations. 2x a day is really a pain, but I'm determined not to slip again!

Originally posted by JakeVig:
Originally posted by tronxz28:

Really interesting topic because I have been for about 3 weeks without using rogaine now. My intention was to quit on rogaine.

I have felt that rogaine has never really helped me. I was only on rogaine and I had hair loss until I started usingg propecia and then not only the hair loss stopped but I regrew hair.

I was sure that quitting rogaine was not going to affect me that much. Now after reading your posts I feel concern. I do not want to find out the hard way that actually rogaine also was helping.

It is too much of a risk that I dont want to run so I will be back on rogaine ASAP.

Actually I had the same experience when I first used Rogaine over 4 years ago it had no effect I then switched to Propecia but my hairloss still continued. It was only when I used Propecia and Minoxidil together do I believe my hairloss has stabalized. I believe Im also seeing new hairs for the first time as well.

Yeah it looks like there are a few options on the horizon. Richard Lee of http://www.minoxidil.com/12.5_1.htm seems to have a 12.5% Minoxidil non-greasy solution that dries rapidly available in the future as well.

Robert do you have a special way to apply Minoxidil I feel like Im wasting a lot of it on my hair. Are you just using the eye dropper that comes with the pack?

I use a minoxidil applicator that was developed by Dr. James DeYarman that I posted photos of a while back here.

I think it works pretty good at getting the minoxidil in the scalp and not in the hair. Of course, a good bit still gets on the hair but you're really not going to totally halt that.

-Robert

Originally posted by mistermike:
Originally posted by Robert_:

mistermike -

Thanks Robert - that's encouraging! Like I said before, the results from the combined Rogaine/Propecia regimen have far exceeded my expectations. 2x a day is really a pain, but I'm determined not to slip again!

Diligence works, man. In the end, you have to think about what you would rather put up with - hair loss or a messy minoxidil application? To me, the messiness is worth it - at least until something better comes along.

I am thinking of giving that 12% formula a shot.

-Robert

Hi guys,

I currently use 5% Minoxidil either 2mil in the morning or 2ml at night. Is it best to apply it at 1mil morning and 1mil night or doesnt matter as long as I recieve a 2mil total doseage per day?

Tim.

It is best to have the applications of Minox at least 8 hours apart. As for the 1ml dosage a lot of us here use more than that to cover our hairline and crown i.e. between 1.5-2ml per application. Remember Minox is meant for the scalp (i.e. not hair) to be effective, so be sure to rub it in the scalp as much as you can.