Receding Hairline - where to start?

I'm 20 and have just started to notice my hairline is starting to recede a bit. I had relatively longer hair when I was younger and never noticed an issue but with my hair cut short I am starting to worry. Right now it is not bad, I let my bangs hang down and it really isn't very noticeable. My concern is that if this continues it will become a problem so I'm hoping I can prevent any further loss. The center of my hair is about the same it has always been but the left and right sides are starting to recede somewhat, I've also noticed there are some small pimples in that area, they are too big for hair to grow out of.

I'm planning to visit my doctor and see what he says but what would be my best course of action here? Is Rogaine or Propecia proven to work for receding hairlines? How about shampoos, what works best? Thanks.

I'm 20 and have just started to notice my hairline is starting to recede a bit. I had relatively longer hair when I was younger and never noticed an issue but with my hair cut short I am starting to worry. Right now it is not bad, I let my bangs hang down and it really isn't very noticeable. My concern is that if this continues it will become a problem so I'm hoping I can prevent any further loss. The center of my hair is about the same it has always been but the left and right sides are starting to recede somewhat, I've also noticed there are some small pimples in that area, they are too big for hair to grow out of.

I'm planning to visit my doctor and see what he says but what would be my best course of action here? Is Rogaine or Propecia proven to work for receding hairlines? How about shampoos, what works best? Thanks.

propecia and rogaine are not "proven" to work on the hairline but search this forum, the proof can be found in a number of members. The medical studies done targeted the crown, thus restricting the companies to advertise only those results. I am 25 and recently began both treatments for the hairline and front of my scalp. It seems the best results from these meds are from younger users, so there is hope.

As far as Rogaine "hurting" peoples hairlines, I'm pretty skeptical. It makes no sense scientifically why it would do so. Minoxidil blocks DHT from the hair follicle, allowing the hair to grow normally and stop minaturizing. Someone please tell me why this has a damaging effect specifically on the hairline.

I agree with the above advice.

I will add that though Fin is supposed to help in the crown more than I did notice mild regrowth in my hairline from it and I started taking it at age 39 - I'm 41 now. So, maybe you'll have success.

If you want to see some "blown away" results for meds, search for waittosee's thread here. The guy litterally went from like NW 4 or something close to NW 0.............best results I've EVER seen, bar none!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Click this for waittosee's results if you want to see them. Now I'm not supposing you'll have results anywhere close to this - but, they're so amazing I do think it's encouraging that the meds do really work, and work well for some people. More than enough reason for a person to try the meds before jumping in the HT chair.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Honestly Hairbank, little skeptical about his results. Not saying he's lying, but maybe other factors caused his loss or regrowth.

Either way, TommyD do not expect his results. I am not, although I pray I get them haha. He has to be in the 99th percentile of finasteride and minox patients as far as optimal results. Like someone said in his post, Propecia ads don't even show before and after shots like his. That should tell you something.

Good luck though, and if I have results like his, you can bet your a$$ I'll be telling everyone.

Too young finasteride is what deals with dht not minox .

The shedding from minox that never grows back is what I was talking about. Ive read posts about it from numerous people. When they do work like we want the results can be awesome .

How Minoxidil works to grow hair has been the subject of speculation for many years. Reseachers initially believed it worked as a vasodilator, stimulating blood flow to the follicle. However the most current research hold that Minoxidil works by opening potassium channels in the cells of the follicle. The opening of intracellular potassium channels has been suggested as a way of regulating hair growth. Regardless of the exact method it works, Rogaine stimulates dormant hair follicles and reverses the miniaturization of the follicles. This makes Rogaine the drug of choice for treating all types of hair loss since it has a very specific action without unwanted side effects

As I mentioned in my post - I'm not claiming anyone will get the results waittosee has gotten. As for his intentions.............what would lead us to doubt it's true? What's the point? His posts don't mention that he's selling anything.

My point is this.............I think many of people "beginning" to lose their hair could at the very least hang on to what they have for a long peroid of time with meds and put off the HT until much later. I wish I'd known then what I know now, about 16 years ago when my hairloss started to become noticeable.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I'm thinking I will bring propecia up to my doctor and give that a try. I'm not too crazy about rogaine though, applying a cream twice a day is a bit more of a hassle than taking a pill. From what I've read it seems propecia will stop any further loss while rogaine will regrow hair? It seems like my best choice would be to start on both, possibly grow some hair back then continue on the propecia to maintain my hairline where it is.