New to all this...

sd_dreamer

I am so glad to have found this site. I was thisclose to heading over to Bosley for a consultation. The information and postings I've read have luckily steered me clear. And just when I'd finally decided I was going to go through this...the timing couldn't have been better. Thanks to all for sharing their info and experiences. I still want to do this but now the question becomes, where and by who? Any info on recommended doctors in the San Diego area would be great. Thanks again everyone!

I am so glad to have found this site. I was thisclose to heading over to Bosley for a consultation. The information and postings I've read have luckily steered me clear. And just when I'd finally decided I was going to go through this...the timing couldn't have been better. Thanks to all for sharing their info and experiences. I still want to do this but now the question becomes, where and by who? Any info on recommended doctors in the San Diego area would be great. Thanks again everyone!

sd_dreamer,

Welcome to the forums! Our recommended physicians in California are here.

Also, you can research into hairloss, its causes, and treatments at our Learning Center and at The Hair Restoration Network.com.

Once again, welcome to the forums and feel free to post your questions and experiences to share with other members!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Be thankful you didnt go to Bosely. Do your research online, request published articles by surgeons and get their individual info packets. Take your time and due dilengence on your research before you make a decision. Best of luck.

Go see Bosley, go see your local MHR, go see at least two other independents, doesnt hurt to talk, then you will have a reference point. Go see Dr Sharon Keene in Tucson, very easy to do the deal in Tucson and well worth it. Search for her---here.

sd-dreamer,

I second John Se, go talk to the "hair Mills", then e-mail Dr. Keene. I'm 2.5 weeks after surgery with her and I have no regrets. Search the sites, you will not find a better surgeon; honest, perfessional, reasonable. If you have any other questions, send me a private message, and I'll respond in kind-Bonzo

Amen to all the above. This was the site I hit when I started my research. I was a Norwood 5 ( that means completely bald on top!) and got interested from the Bosley TV commercials I saw on the US West Coast.

This site saved me money ( Bosley are more expensive than the top surgeons you'll find through the forums ) and I had a 3500 graft transplant last May. Best thing I did in years. You're in good hands here.

• 3 weeks later...

This is not easy to answer, since I'm both satisfied and dissatisfied! I'm satisfied by the coverage I now have on what was once a bald head, but disappointed that the coverage is rather thin for what was a 3500 graft job on a NW5. The top is a bit thinner than my side/back hair - you can see the scalp quite easily in places.

Maybe those here with more experience could advise? Is 3500 a realistic number of grafts to cover a NW5 with good density (in which case I've cause for some disappointment), or should I have had more grafts?

On the other hand, one should have realistic expectations. My surgeon did a pretty good job really, and I guess we can be overly critical. My girlfriend says it looks good, so that's a good objective assessment.

hey buddy!! Yup! you need more. SUCKS!

I was a Norwood 5 going into my last, and got some great coverage. But need the density still.

But you've got to start somewhere. You atleast have coverage. Better than bald, for sure!

Believe it or not, some people are happy and confident with just coverage.

Everyone has there own goal, so keep striving if your not there yet!

HairBetThere,

It's been sometime now, are you going to post some pic's?. I'm waiting for week 8 to update. Not much to say but the midterm wait and see for me, how about you-Bonzo

Kez,

Sometimes and even possibly most times we are our own biggest critic especially for those of us that have suffered hairloss. I can relate.

You mentioned you were a Norwood 5, is that class 5v or class 5a? I got the impression of class 5a when you stated you were completely bald there. I was a Norwood 5v and have had 4400 grafts to date. Still I can see the difference in density or better yet "illusional volume" compared to the rim or donor areas. In additon I have a wide contrast but mid-coarse hair with a mild wave. Not sure of your hair chararcteristics but my wife tells me the same thing your girlfriend tells you yet I continually wonder if I should do another small procedure.

Also not sure of your total area of demarkation as measured by sq cm but I definitely agree that more than the 3500 grafts you had to really get you where you want to be. It sounds like you desire more than just coverage, yet like you, I am also very blessed to have coverage again. Take care.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Thanks gill. I think you're right about how picky we are. I think I'll probably stop where I've got to. Like yourself, I very much appreciate the disappearance of my "dome".

What's more, I don't see how further transpplant work could create more density. Is it possible to go in among the existing grafts and start making incisions for fresh plants? Seems dicey to me.

Kez, I'm a Norwood 3 and Dr. Keene recommends 2700 grafts for me. So I don't see how 3500 could possible give good density to a Norwood 5.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Kez,

Yes my friend I think it's probably very possible for a competent HT surgeon to achieve more density with a subsequent procedure, but please allow me to qualify that statement first.

It all depends on how many grafts will be added to what specific surface area of the recipient site. In other words if your zone of demarkation for a Norwood class 5a is roughly 15 X 12 cm or roughly 180 cm2, you'll need more grafts per cm2 than if the recipient area were somewhat compromised by placing the grafts closer within a smaller surface area. More grafts in itself does not always imply a higher illusion of density, the recipient area has to be considered in conjunction with the added graft count.

A very competent surgeon will evaluate your specific goals (level of density). The doctor will also evaluate the level of density you currently have in the recipient area i.e. 30 grafts per cm2 for example. After also considering your color contrast, hair charateristics including degree of coarseness, you should get an idea of how many grafts per cm2 that the doctor would recommend to achieve your desired level of density.

The surgeon will also take into consideration any prior procedures, current angulation of the grafts from prior procedure(s) and adequate blood flow to the recipient site. Transection of existing grafts is always an issue when creating subsequent recipient sites. Certainly they will again pre-screen your current medical condition including meds.

Then the doctor will evaluate how much donor reserves are available while considering any future potential hairloss since MPB is progressive in its nature. Alot for any of us to consider but again I think there's alot of potential for you to add to what you got at present. Take care.

Best advice would be to utilize digital quality pics including donor and e-mail them to several good docs and then evaluate their opinions. They will be able to fine-tune your graft count on the day of your procedure if you are traveling abroad.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

God bless, boys - you give me food for thought....it'll have to wait whatever the outcome. I've only just recovered financially from the cost of the first procedure. ( those surgeons may do a great job, but they must be raking it in.... )