HT placement opinions please?

hairbank

I'm scheduled for my first HT, 1200 grafts, with Dr. Lawrence Samuels next Tues., Jan 18. My question is about placement and coverage??

Please view my photo album posted on "Post your own HT". I've grown my hair longer than normal for the HT so coverage is not as good as it appears (not that its that great ;^) )

I'm wondering whether to concentrate on the front first or the back, or a mix of both then fill in later?? I plan to have another session, 1200 or so, in about a year depending on the success. Initially I was going to go with 80% in th back with 20% in the front because I've lost a considerable amount in the back.

I would appreciate your opinion as to which way to proceed.

Thanks,

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

I'm scheduled for my first HT, 1200 grafts, with Dr. Lawrence Samuels next Tues., Jan 18. My question is about placement and coverage??

Please view my photo album posted on "Post your own HT". I've grown my hair longer than normal for the HT so coverage is not as good as it appears (not that its that great ;^) )

I'm wondering whether to concentrate on the front first or the back, or a mix of both then fill in later?? I plan to have another session, 1200 or so, in about a year depending on the success. Initially I was going to go with 80% in th back with 20% in the front because I've lost a considerable amount in the back.

I would appreciate your opinion as to which way to proceed.

Thanks,

Hairbank

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Hi Hairbank:

Many HT surgeons prefer to utilize the dense pack method, so, IMO 1200 grafts should be placed along the hairline...in my experience, I had 1500 FU's spread out on the front 2/3rds of my scalp & the coverage was thin at best--I had another 2000 FU's to increase the density, over the same area...most doctors advise that the crown should not be included in this session because of the number of grafts required...did your surgeon discuss these issues with you during your consultation?...it's in your best interest to have realistic expectations, so, you know what to expect during/after your surgery...I'm sure other posters will give you additional sound advice...good luck with your procedure!

Hairbank I see your point but density must also be high enough in the front to look natural. In most cases, HT density decreases from front to back, as it is the front bit that "frames" the face and it is also the area that most patients are concerned with. If you look at my pics you'll see what I'm talking about. Also, a lot of HT guys like to comb their hair backwards, which has the advantage to cover any balding area in the back. But you need enough density in the front to do that. Do you have a few pics so we can advise further? With only 1200, you need to choose wisely indeed.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

If you havn't view them, I posted my pic's on the "post your own HT pics" section. Please see it for reference.

I'm about 2 1/2 hours from the surgeon and only had one consultation with him. The next time we meet will be next Tuesday before the HT when it will obviously be decided. I would like it to be as dense as possible, but at the same time the area on the back is so bare while from a frontal view I still appear to have a "decent" amout of hair that has receeded slightly.

Knowing that I will most likely do this twice (for a total of 2400) what would you recommend for placement during the first procedure??

Thanks,

hairbank

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

You really need a larger session, why plan to put yourself through this a second time and of course be disappointed with results, at least 2500 in the front will dramatically alter your appearance if you follow the contour of your current hairline. As hairworthy points out it is much easier conceal the back with toppik etc. Going with 1200 grafts is like painting half a wall!

Unfortunately the max. the surgeon will perform per each HT is 1200 and he is the closest and most reputable for me by a long shot. Several things factor in but he seemed concerned that "overcrowding" an area might potentially harm remaining hair. At any rate, on the flip side, the cost for the 1200 is $4,000, or $3.33 per graft, which I thought was reasonable.

If I concentrate mainly on front and top, given the 1200 grafts, how many would I need in the back to have adequate coverage to use with a concealer and not have any "shiny" spots?? Keep in mind I plan on having another HT of an equivilent amount within 1 yr.

Thanks for your input.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I agree with Jacob that putting yourself through this a second time within a year is not a nice perspective. Whatever the surgeon & the patient, an HT is always a difficult time (mental preparation, procedure, post op, staples/sutures removal, wearing hats, waiting for the hairs that do not seem to grow, worrying & so on). It really takes over your whole life. So in your case, by the time you'll start feeling good again, you'll have to prepare for the next one. You must be a very brave guy!

Anyway, maybe another surgeon could get you the results & the nr of FUs you want in one go? What's your surgeon's excuse for not taking more than 1200? The fact that this one works close to you should really not be a factor. You say he's "the most reputable" but frankly I've never heard of him or seen any of his results posted here. However, I'm sure you've done your research and feel confident about your choice. You seem a bit disappointed when you say "unfortunately...", I hope you won't be disappointed further.

Sorry to sound like a grumpy old guy but I've read so many sad stories here that I find it hard not to be overcautious with surgeons who limit themselves to a number of FUs per HT (especially such a low number) and don't say "I'll get the maximum from your donor area, whatever the number is". Good luck anyway.

3045 FUs with Dr Victor Hasson on 8 June 2004

1836 FUs with Dr Jeffrey Epstein on 2 March 2006

Regimen: 1.25mg Proscar every other day

I appreciate the advice. Given this is my first HT, I did the research I felt necessary and decided to move forward. Dr. Samuels required prepayment 1 week prior so I'm committed to the 1200 graft session. If he would have allowed more I would have taken it, but at the same time this does break down the cost a bit more. I have checked him out and have seen his work and I'm comfortable with him.

I am committed also to doing this again for at least another 1200. Maybe the second time I'll try someone else who would give me more grafts depending on the coverage I'm looking for. It would be nice to do it once, but, it's a lifetime thing and I'm not that concerned about another HT (maybe I'll feel differently after the experience ;^) ).

Given these things, what would your opinion be on placement for the 1200 given my type of loss from the posted pics?? more in front and move to the back later?? All in front?? All in back??

Your opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Hairbank

My Hair Loss Weblog

I would recommend using all 1200 on the hairline/temples/and midscalp areas-- if you can get more yield to get 500 toward the crown that would be great, if not wait until next time, but focus on what the human eye sees-- your hairline.