nHIP device

I'm considering having a HT in 2004 with MCClellan at NHI. I understand that NHI is using a new device called the nHIP placement pen, a device that inserts grafts without them having to be manipulated manually. Does anybody know much about this device? Does it allow for smaller wounds in the recipient area and less scabbing? Your comments on this would be appreciated.

aka

I'm considering having a HT in 2004 with MCClellan at NHI. I understand that NHI is using a new device called the nHIP placement pen, a device that inserts grafts without them having to be manipulated manually. Does anybody know much about this device? Does it allow for smaller wounds in the recipient area and less scabbing? Your comments on this would be appreciated.

aka

Don't know about this - but NHI sounds like a hair nill. Under no circumstances would any sane, regular reader of this site go to a hair mill. Spend a lot of time reading old posts, and make the decision for yourself.

If this is not a hairmill, I apologize.

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice

It is my understanding that the implanter pen had clogging problems and is not being used much right now. As for NHI, they do excellent work and I would have no hesitation to recommend them. There are hair mills and I would avoid them. NHI is not in that category.

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

My concern with such an approach is this... how can some device that automates the placement process possibly match the artistic mastery of a skilled surgeon in placing grafts. This key difference is what distinguishes an outstanding HT from a mediocre or even bad HT!

I thought NHI had always done good work. I know recently they had been growing and might've added some docs that are not all that popular, but overall I always believed they were a great outfit. From past readings, Bernstein and Rassman appear to be two of the best.

Good luck.

Manko

The HIP pen is merely a tool to aid planting, just like a forcep. The idea was that it would be less manipulative and easier on the graft. The graft still needs to be rotated and adjusted. Whether this is done or not is up to the operator. Again, I don't think it is being used much due to some problems that need to be worked out.

Dr. Parsley is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network