Propecia or Rogaine,

I am 24 and just out of college and I'm poor. Is Proscar and Propecia virtually the same in effectiveness. And if so, which is cheaper. And finally is it possible to get it without a prescription.

I am 24 and just out of college and I'm poor. Is Proscar and Propecia virtually the same in effectiveness. And if so, which is cheaper. And finally is it possible to get it without a prescription.

my advice, I am 21, I used rogaine at first, it was easier to get a hold of, cvs, no rx etc... anyways. Get on proscar right away(same effectiveness as propecia.) you can order offline without rx. Proscar actually stops dht. So it is much more effective then rogaine, plus it is a lot easier, one pill a day vs. coating your head in alcohol and if you are like me, itchy scalp. I started proscar about a month ago. Too early to tell if it is working so I am still using rogaine. With any luck I'll recover some hair(rogaine only seemed to thicken up my hair a bit) if I do, no more rogaine, one easy to swallow pill a day and I'm all set. So my advice, don't waste a year testing out rogaine when proscar gets to the source of the problem.

none

none

I'm already taking Rogaine (2 years) and Propecia (1 year), gonna switch to Proscar now. Cheaper and seemingly just as effective. I've also been halfing my dosage of Propecia for cost effectiveness. Guess my question is if the Proscar works, will stopping the Rogaine cause loss of hair, or will the Proscar outweigh the absence.

Also if someone could tell me how and where to get Proscar, my Propecia is getting low, and I don't wanna go back to the doc for the RX if I'm gonna switch.

Hey Jrod-

You might want to try this cheaper altrnative..

Its finasteride(active ingredient in propecia) from a reputable company in India called Cipla. It is in 5mg doses and will need to be split into quarters giving you 1.25 mg per dose. The drug is called Fincar and ive been using it for almost 2 years now. I used to pay 60+ bux a month for propecia and now pay around 80ish for over a years supply. The reason its so cheap is because they are basically ignoring US patents on the drug and selling it in other countries(not allowed to sell in US). So this benefits us poor folk!

Oh and you wont need a prescription either!

http://www.dru-online.com/dru.cgi/scan/fi=products/st=db/co=yes/sf=category/se=Finasteride/va=link_image%3d/va=link_banner%3d.html?id=GbNEYC4c

I hear that the Proscar, or sorry, what your speaking of is not effective when split, I guess since it is unregulated that the drug is not uniformly spread throughout the pill. So by splitting you in effect get a few placebo's and a few of what you want. Is there any validity to this. Someone please help me out here. Its about that time I refill my Rx on the Propecia and I am low on funds.

And by the way, Tray, thanks a lot for the heads up.

JRod-

The uneven distribution within the slices may be ture. However from what I've read finasteride stays in your system for over 2 weeks so you have plenty of 'buffer' before you will be adversly effected by not getting an equal dosage. Also I would find it hard to believe that there wouldnt be a small amount in every section.

In manufacturing the drug I think that they make a vat of the mix and make sure that it is equally mixed- to a point where they legally can guarantee consistency of around the stated dosage. I wouldnt worry, but if you feel better about a single pill I'm sure you can find it somewhere cheaper than the pharmacy.

Stick with Proscar and split it.

MUCH cheaper than Propecia and equally effective, I'd say.

Tray is right, over the long term, the "placebo effect" is not a concern. Your dosing will even it out.

I read a LOT of posts about people so concerned about exact dosing. My word to each and every one of them: DON'T SWEAT THE DETAILS!

You miss a dose or don't get exact dosing every day: Don't worry, it isn't a concern. Stick with it. If it doesn't work after some month's time, then it wasn't meant to be for you with this drug. Move on and it isn't because of missed dosing of uneven dosing -- let me assure you of that.

I personally recommend US made Proscar. That is simply because it has worked so well for me. Others have gambled with overseas stuff with mixed results: some very good and others quite dissatisfied. You'll save money but that is your opportunity cost as well.

Best of luck with your Proscar decision.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.