Traveling for HT - Logistics???

I am considering one of the more prominent and well-recommended doctors on this site for a crown HT - probably Rose or Shapiro. (How good are they with crown swirls?)

Unfortunately, I will have to fly to them for the procedure. I don't have a problem with the extra cost or travel, but I have some questions and concerns about the logistics.

1) Is it safe to fly after a HT, or will that hurt the grafts? I suspect I will be ok, since the airline cabins are pressurized.

2) How would I do the initial consultation? Is that something that I would be able to do over the phone and internet (with pictures), or would I have to fly out for the initial consultation?

3) What about post-op and follow-ups? Will I have to fly back out to have the stitches removed from my incision? Will I have to fly back out for checkups / inspections? I don't want to skip any important steps that would hurt my HT. What sort of follow-up is "standard"?

4) I can get a free consultation with a local doctor. Would this be a good idea, or would this be a waste of time?

I am considering one of the more prominent and well-recommended doctors on this site for a crown HT - probably Rose or Shapiro. (How good are they with crown swirls?)

Unfortunately, I will have to fly to them for the procedure. I don't have a problem with the extra cost or travel, but I have some questions and concerns about the logistics.

1) Is it safe to fly after a HT, or will that hurt the grafts? I suspect I will be ok, since the airline cabins are pressurized.

2) How would I do the initial consultation? Is that something that I would be able to do over the phone and internet (with pictures), or would I have to fly out for the initial consultation?

3) What about post-op and follow-ups? Will I have to fly back out to have the stitches removed from my incision? Will I have to fly back out for checkups / inspections? I don't want to skip any important steps that would hurt my HT. What sort of follow-up is "standard"?

4) I can get a free consultation with a local doctor. Would this be a good idea, or would this be a waste of time?

1)I flew to Miami for my procedure without problem.

2)I had all my consultations via E-Mail and by phone

3)ther isn't realy any post-op care except for the first wash the day after transplant. The stitch removal is easy and can be done by your own doctor or even a family member in about 10 days. Some of the Dr's will provide you with a removal kit. My young son had no problem removing mine.

4) Can't see any point in consulting with your local Dr when you can talk to the best around thru the net.

HT2 2570 grafts Dr Feller

HT 2350 grafts Dr Epstein

Finax 1mg per day

nizoral 2% 3/week

MSM 3000 mg / day

TOTAL GRAFTS 4920

http://hair-restoration-info.com/eve/forums?a=albumtopic&TOPIC_OID=6751014913&f=2566060861

Thanks, Irish.

One of the reasons for the local consultation is to (hopefully) get an Avodart prescription. I have been taking Propecia (off and on, unfortunately), but would like to try Avodart. One of my friends was able to get his prescription during his initial consultation.

Both Drs you mentioned are great and have a great reputation on this forum. I will have gone to both myself. Im going back to Shapiro for my second ht only because of location. All your questions are also great as well. Call and talk with DR Rose himself, or call Matt Zupan at shapiro, or call both. They are very approachable and helpfull. I would recommend you to do that for your next step.

Hi Rashomon,

I flew all the way from the UK for my HT. I stayed an extra few days at a nearby hotel for a quick recovery. I also had a great experience with Ron Shapiro, He is definately one of the worlds best. Though you wont go wrong with Dr Rose either who also used to work at Shapiro Medical Group.

Ron also provided me a prescription of Avodart on request, I imagine most HT docs would if you ask them.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006

Thanks, Jake.

Does that mean that there was not any follow-up required? Maybe I should start another thread about this. I'm not sure what the normal post-op care is. I mean, any that you would need your doctor for.

Originally posted by Rashomon:

Thanks, Jake.

Does that mean that there was not any follow-up required? Maybe I should start another thread about this. I'm not sure what the normal post-op care is. I mean, any that you would need your doctor for.

Rashomon,

The only follow up you need a nurse or doctor for is to remove your sutures at 10-12 days post HT. All the post op instructions are given to you before the procedure so you can have a good read through it, then they will go through it with you again after your HT. It basically says to lightly shampoo your recipient area every day with a non-chemical shampoo, avoid direct sunlight, etc.

If you have further questions you can shoot them off an email at anytime.

1344 grafts with Ron Shapiro - June 2006