Do Men Loose Their Hair Earlier Now Than 45 years ago?

mmhce

xxy,

I'm going to go out on a limb here & propose perhaps your father was unfortunate and inherited the 'unlucky' gene out of the pool of siblings; genes can be a crap shoot in that respect. In addition, statistical studies always seem to confuse correlation/causation & tend to draw conclusions based on factors that correlate (or don't correlate) w/two sample groups, but have no causal factor('s). I asked a Dr. friend I know about this, and he said the "conclusion" of said studies are primarily dependent upon who paid for it; in other words the studies are typically paid for by businesses or lobby/interest groups who have a vested interest in swaying opinion for financial (or other) gain.

Either way, I'm sticking w/my Western diet. Like an after dinner mint, proscar shall compliment my steak & beer.

Delicately helping those fragile souls who suffer from hair loss, w/motherly nourishment & care.

Ron J,

I'm going to go out on a limb here & propose perhaps your father was unfortunate and inherited the 'unlucky' gene out of the pool of siblings; genes can be a crap shoot in that respect.

I agree with this.

In addition, statistical studies always seem to confuse correlation/causation & tend to draw conclusions based on factors that correlate (or don't correlate) w/two sample groups, but have no causal factor('s).

I don't necessarily agree with this.

There is no doubt that financial recuperation is a major concern with pharmaceutical companies, but properly conducted scientific investigations with impartial/objective observations and robust/rigourous methodologies, on LARGE population samples are quite efficacious.

PS. ALL scientific or statistical investigations have limitations.

take care...

Originally posted by Ron J:

xxy,

I'm going to go out on a limb here & propose perhaps your father was unfortunate and inherited the 'unlucky' gene out of the pool of siblings; genes can be a crap shoot in that respect. In addition, statistical studies always seem to confuse correlation/causation & tend to draw conclusions based on factors that correlate (or don't correlate) w/two sample groups, but have no causal factor('s). I asked a Dr. friend I know about this, and he said the "conclusion" of said studies are primarily dependent upon who paid for it; in other words the studies are typically paid for by businesses or lobby/interest groups who have a vested interest in swaying opinion for financial (or other) gain.

Either way, I'm sticking w/my Western diet. Like an after dinner mint, proscar shall compliment my steak & beer.

Fair enough, I wasn't saying that diet was the cause. But I think it could definitely be a contributing factor.

The study in the newspaper didn't say anything about diet, either. They speculated the high-stress of big city life, the diet part was something I was thinking about on my own.

I mean, there is speculation that soy helps with DHT inhibition, some people seem to have seen results with fish oil etc. Obviously propecia/minoxidil are powerful pharmaceuticals with properly measurable results, but do you think it's that far outside the realms of possibility that a combination of certain foods that are present in certain diets could help with slowing hairloss and vice versa?

That said, I'm not attacking the western diet. I still prefer a nice roast chicken with stuffing or steak to rice.

One other observation I have made that I didn't include in my first post was that of the 3 boys in my family, at 29, my older two brothers had experienced far greater hairloss at age 29 than I have. Perhaps coincidentally, they both live in Europe and have always lived in western countries. I grew up in the same country as them, but at 24 moved to China and have been living here the past 5 years eating a lot more Chinese food than I did when I was living in a western country.