Propecia is finasteride.

Avodart is dutasteride.

Propecia blocks one enzyme that causes the breakdown of testosterone into DHT. Avodart blocks two of them.

I believe that Propecia blocks 85% of DHT formation, while Avodart blocks 99% (not sure on that one).

Propecia has long term clinical studies showing its effectiveness. Avodart does not.

Propecia has a half life of about 2 weeks, Avodart's is much longer (I believe 6 months).

Avodart is like Propecia++ (for all you computer geeks out there). There is no need to take Propecia if you are taking Avodart.

Here's my opinion: Avodart is MUCH more risky proposition than Propecia. Avodart may in fact regrow more hair, but the side effects are not well known or documented. Also, your body wouldn't produce DHT if it wasn't necessary. So some DHT should stick around. Let's say your genetics is a little off and your body produces more than normal or needed DHT, well, Propecia lowers that amount of DHT but does not stop it altogether. To me, it makes sense that Propecia would be a safer proposition. Possibly, Avodart is more effective though.

If Propecia is working for you, stick with it. If not, then Avodart MAY be worth the risk to you.

I'm stick to Propecia unless I see SKB do more thorough long-term tests on Avodart.

My opinion on all that.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.