Neosporin on donor scar

Danny

Hi,

It has been three weeks post-op and my donor scar not yet completely heal..Is any body ever use

Neosporin on the donor scar to speed up the healing ??

Is it safe ??

thanks,

danny

Hi,

It has been three weeks post-op and my donor scar not yet completely heal..Is any body ever use

Neosporin on the donor scar to speed up the healing ??

Is it safe ??

thanks,

danny

I'm not 100% about this... I heard NOT to do anything to it. I was wondering if you "lubed it up" if it might soften the tissue, causing it to widen? Just a thought. Mine was all healed up and nice looking at about 10-12 days... I only used the graftcyte shampoo...

Futzy

I was told to use Iamin gel, which came with the graftcyte kit, while the sutures were in to promote healing. After the sutures are out, you can use bacitracin, neosporin, or any number of wound care products available at your local drugstore, but it depends on what you mean when you say the "scar has not healed completely."

If the scar has not closed, then you should not use anything on it and should see your doctor to see if perhaps you encountered some complications and what can be done about it. If it is closed, then it is safe to use neosporin and even scar healing agents such as Mederma for Scars and Scar So Soft. I've been using both mederma and scar so soft and my scar is now light pink and nearly invisible.

I agree with Follicle on this. I have had two sessions and have used Iamin and Mederma on my donor area after both. After 10 months post op the donor sites are nearly invisible. I would highly recommend using these.

I have not heard of Scar So Soft. I will take a look. It's probably similar to Mederma. The pharmacist at Rite Aid told me that the main ingredient of Mederma is onions? I guess the onion hashealing properties?

Good luck to you guys. Picking the right surgeon is the biggest hurdle. Healing just takes time and patience.

T

I think it does both, but I'm not sure. It seemed to help me, but then I had nothing to compare it to. (I didn't test it on only one side, or anything).

click for Mederma website

I can't make a direct link, but find the Media Info section, and look at the articles in the print media section. The article in Pharmacy Times called " Scars: Do They Have to be the Center of Attention?" says that Mederma seems to block a substance that makes up scars (making them smaller/smoother). It also says that massaging the scar helps.