defining reasonable thresholds

rp1979

i'm a noobie and would like some inputs from people about:

1). minimum age for cosmetic HT to hairline: (24?)

2). minimum age for cosmetic HT to crown: (35?)

3). minimum amount of grafts for 1 HT strip session: (1000?)

4). minimum amount of grafts for 1 FUE session: (100?)

5). maximum amount of grafts possible for 1 FUE session: (1000?)

6). minimum density per square cm to provide good enough coverage for people with thin-shaft dark hair and pale-skinned scalp: (30?)

7). maximum donor supply humanly possible for NW7: (6000?)

8). minimum amount of time needed in researching HT to understand most major issues: (3months?)

thank you in advance.

i'm a noobie and would like some inputs from people about:

1). minimum age for cosmetic HT to hairline: (24?)

2). minimum age for cosmetic HT to crown: (35?)

3). minimum amount of grafts for 1 HT strip session: (1000?)

4). minimum amount of grafts for 1 FUE session: (100?)

5). maximum amount of grafts possible for 1 FUE session: (1000?)

6). minimum density per square cm to provide good enough coverage for people with thin-shaft dark hair and pale-skinned scalp: (30?)

7). maximum donor supply humanly possible for NW7: (6000?)

8). minimum amount of time needed in researching HT to understand most major issues: (3months?)

thank you in advance.

1. There really is no minimum age IMO but a plan is needed.

2. Same as above

3. Most sugeons will want to do a minimum # of grafts for strip and I personally wouldn't go thru the process unless getting 1000+. The healing time is going to be similar for 1000 grafts or 2500.

4. I believe that Dr. Feller does a "lunchtime special" where he does 100. Could be wrong.

5. Who knows--1000 at one time I believe. It is pretty taxing for doctor and patient.

6. 30 is probably a good figure possibly slightly higher if you want illusion of density, but coverage and density are two different things.

7. For a NW7 that figure is pretty accurate.

8. 3 months is a good start, but I would recommend longer.

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

rp1979,

I like what you are doing right now....you are seeking answers to questions...it's all part of the research my friend.

Unfortunately, as NN stated....there really isn't a minimum threshold that can be established, because it's particular to the patient. I'll try to address this as best as I can.

1. Age is less of an important factor than long term planning. Someone might be 20 and already a NW4, having no hairline left. If that is the case...should the patient wait until he is 24? Not necessarily. As long as he plans conservatively in the beginning and understands what realistic expectations are, he can be a good candidate for an HT. Someone that young and already at a NW4, COULD be destined for a NW7, however, and must realize what he is getting himself into.

2. Again, same as number 1...the younger someone is, and the lower on the NW scale, the more conservative someone should be when planning HTs. An ethical clinic will help the patient with the best long term strategy.

3. There really isn't a miminum, it depends on the person. If a 35 year old male, a NW1 or NW2 with a slighly receeded hairline wants to lower it, perhaps 1000 grafts would be appropriate, especially if his hairline has been like that for 5-10 years and there is minimal concern for further hairloss. Personally, though, I kind of feel that below 1000 grafts wouldn't be worth it.

4. There is a lot that can be said about FUE, however, if someone ONLY needs 100 grafts, I'd argue that they do NOT need an HT and should not get one. Of course, if a patient needs 1500 grafts, however, and chooses FUE, they could go for multiple sessions of 100-400 grafts, etc, and I wouldn't see a problem with that.

5. A 1000 FUE session is considered a megasession by Dr. Feller. I haven't done a LOT of research on FUE since I didn't feel it was for me, at least, not in terms of numbers and who is yielding how many grafts via FUE in a single session. Perhaps other clnics are doing more than 1000 at a time.

6. Good question...but this depends on a number of factors, though you did narrow it down by stating thin-shaft dark hair with apale scalp. BUT, the variable to consider is how many hairs in each graft? I'd say where the hairline should be minimally 40-50 FU/sq cm in order to give a decent appearance of density, especially with thinner grafts. Keep in mind the hairline alone should be made up of singles, so that would be 40 hairs. In the crown, however, more multi-hair grafts are used...so 40 grafts/sq cm will be thicker in the crown than in the hairline.

7. I'm not sure you asked this question right....maximum donor supply is not defined by the NW level you are (though I suppose at a NW7 level, it would have some bearing). But other factors to consider are scalp laxity and donor density. Ultimately, I'd say 6000 grafts wouldn't be possible in a single session for a NW7, however, I don't see it as an impossibility depending on continued laxity and density.

8. Ha...it depends on how much research you do and how quickly icon_wink.gif. I don't think it would take more than a few days to a week of BUSY FERVENT research to get how it all works. HOWEVER, I think taking your time is very important in researching to let it all sink in. That way you are making more of an educated decision and not an emotional one.

Bill

The longer you research the better, definitely. Just by lurking around this board you'll absorb a multitude of views on any particular topic, which is much better than getting one point of view on it and assuming that's what there is to it.