I'm getting my first procedure done Monday!!!

My1stHT

After years of research and praying for a cure my hair loss has reached a point where I have to take some action. With help from several members here I have decided to take the plunge. Thankfully I was warned against some of the hair mills we often see on TV and I consulted the Bald Truth web site for the best doctors in the business. I am still very apprehensive about the procedure; However, some of the great results and support from other members I've seen on here really make me excited to start the process. If anyone would like honest updates as I go along please feel free to ask. I'm sure I'll have some of my own after the procedure. Good Luck to everyone.

After years of research and praying for a cure my hair loss has reached a point where I have to take some action. With help from several members here I have decided to take the plunge. Thankfully I was warned against some of the hair mills we often see on TV and I consulted the Bald Truth web site for the best doctors in the business. I am still very apprehensive about the procedure; However, some of the great results and support from other members I've seen on here really make me excited to start the process. If anyone would like honest updates as I go along please feel free to ask. I'm sure I'll have some of my own after the procedure. Good Luck to everyone.

How old are you? Where are you on NW scale. Who's going to be your doc?

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic''. Arthur C. Clarke

My1stHT:

Best of luck to you. Exciting and nerve-racking, I know.

It would be great if you can post your periodic results for other people. More pictures is always helpful to people trying to decide if an HT is right for them.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

Well I had the procedure done yesterday and I couldn't be happier. Obviously I won't see any results for months. Just knowing I finally took the action I needed to get my hair back and now I can stop thinking about my hair loss 24 hours a day is a real relief.

I did plenty of research and had a number of consultations before I decided on Dr. Charles who made me feel very comfortable from the beginning. I guess that's why I wasn't really nervous about the procedure but I did anticipate quit a bit of pain during the procedure; However, I WAS WRONG.

I won't go into details about the procedure because Dr. Charles explains each step of the procedure on his web site which was completely accurate. I will tell you, I have had more painful visits at the dentists office than I did with my HT procedure. I had extensive work done in the crown area and the temple area. Dr. Charles and his staff were great. His assistance were very attractive and friendly and kept me completely entertained during my 6 hour procedure. The pain during the procedure and up until now has been minimal. I HAVE NOT TAKEN ANY PAIN MEDICATION and I got a complete nights sleep last night with no problems. The tightness in the donor area is the only part I can feel some tightness and soreness but it is completely bearable and seems to get better by the hour.

My head looks just like everyone else the day after the procedure (Scabs Scabs Scabs) so I won't post any pics. I'm really looking forward to seeing icon_smile.gif my results over the next year and if anyone has any question please feel free to ask.

Lastly, Thank you to Dr. Charles and his staff for the work you've done and the genuine care you have given me. I am truly grateful.

[This message was edited by My1stHT on June 25, 2003 at 04:01 PM.]

Sorry, I forgot to answer some of the questions:

1) I'm 36 yoa and have been losing my hair for the last 12 years.

2) I had considerable hair loss in the temple areas and the crown.

3) This was a lowball estimate:

450- 1 hair grafts

607- 2 hair grafts

343- 3 hair grafts

250- double fl's in crown

----------------------

1650 grafts total

NOTE: At the initial consultation Dr. Charles discussed the number of grafts he was going to do and gave me a price. During the procedure he gave me substantially MORE grafts at no charge.

[This message was edited by My1stHT on June 24, 2003 at 02:35 PM.]

All of the discomfort has subsided. The top of my scalp is still extremely numb. Dr. Charles said this would be normal for several weeks and possibly up to a year. I haven't really noticed it unless I touch my scalp. It does feel a little funy but no discomfort.

I do have scabs all of the donated areas but it is a lot less than I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, whenever I leave the house or have company I have the baseball cap on but it appears the transplanted site is healing quickly.

Some Doctors say you can go back to work the next day after a procedure. While I guess it is possible there is no way I would recommend it. It is very obvious work has been done and although I felt little pain I know I wouldn't want to be at work for a couple of days at least. Probably closer to a minimum of a week but I'll keep you updated on that. I took 2 weeks off just to be sure. I needed a vacation anyway. Hope this is helping somebody!!!

Ok, this will be my last post for a few days because I'm going out of town.

Everything is great. No pain, no discomfort, most hairs still in place, slight redness, several small scabs have formed and are starting to disappear.

TWO questions I forgot to ask the doc:

1) It's been 3 days post op and I don't see hairs everywhere there are scabs. Should I be concerned or do they fall out that quickly?

2) If the surgery does cause some shedding to occur how soon will I see this occur? Is it gradual or immediate?

• 2 weeks later...

I was prepared for worse, having had my first HT 2 weeks ago by Dr. Cooley in Charlotte, NC.

I had two back to back sessions of 1500 grafts each, total of 3000. I expected to lose most all by now, however, I am still growing the little transplanted fellas...yippee!!

I think everyone's reaction is a little different, and mine may still fall out and go dormant, so I'm not getting my hopes up too high.

Good luck.

TimofCharlotte,

I'm now 17 days out, and I still have most of my 1500 as well. There are some areas where they've left, and I'm thinking they're all going to go at some point. To be honest, I wish they would all go so that the real growing can happen. I think the norm is for them to go and come back in many months at which time they should be stronger. I'm looking forward to the regrowth and probably the 8 month mark should be great and getting better.

Good luck.

Manko

Congrats !

I have heard nice comments about Dr Charles, however very few (if any) have posted any photo's that I can recall, are you going to post anything ?..maybe even some confidential (face blacked out)shots ?

Either way happy growing !

NW

NW - I'm a patient of Dr. Charles and currently 11 weeks out (can't believe it gone that fast), and I will be posting some pics as well at the 4 month mark. So far so good. Some baby hairs appearing already.

My1stHT - Good luck to ya and hope you keep everyone posted. Posting occassional progress reports is invaluable to potential patients, as well as those going thru it.

Cool !

I am sure you will be jazzed around the 4-5 month point - hope so !! it seems like pretty rapid new growth through even 6-7 mo's.

I just got from vacation a few days ago and this is the first time I've had to check the site. First of all, thank you all for the continued support and information given which has been invaluable in my HT experience.

A quick update on my progress: Now that the entire process is completely done I can honestly say the pain and discomfort was very minimal throughout the entire process. I left my stiches in almost 14 days and they were a little uncomfortable to sleep with but nothing close to needing pain meds. Scabbing and implanted hairs are exactly as everyone describes. Scabbing for me is gone. Now I guess I sit back and wait for the results. Is there a rain dance or chant I might say to hurry things along? I know, patience is a virtue!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

My1stHT,

If I understood you right, Dr. CHarles said, after HT, the numbing of scalp is going to be there for several weeks or even a year ??

I havent heard this this before.. maybe because

for most people its not a concern ! Isnt it going

to be irritating to have it numb for such a long time ???

Has anyone heard this before ? please respond..

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

photo album: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/albums/135

PD,

From what I can gather some people experience a great deal of numbness and other experience very little or none. I've had two surgeries. After the first, I had extensive numbness. It seemed to last about ten months. During the last few months it would come and go. It was slightly annoying but I was mostly concerned that it would be permanent, which it wasn't. When I had surgery a second time I had virtually no numbness at all afterward. Seven months after my second surgery, everything is fine.

A number of things about the surgery might be annoying or inconvenient for you. Dealing with little scabs for a week or two afterward, a few pimples or ingrown hairs on the scalp, shock loss - if you have it and redness of the scalp afterward are all transient but possible unpleasant aspects of recovery. But, it's really not so bad, especially when you keep in mind that within just a few months you will be growing a great new head of hair. For me, it was definitely worth putting up with a few minor inconveniences.

Paul

Paul148 & NW,

Thanks for your responses, its good to know whats coming.. Who were your doctors for both HairTransplants ? and how satisfied were you with them ?

thanks.

Disclaimer: I am not a qualified medical professional nor do i work for any doctor, hence these are my personal and honest views. Hopefully I will benefit someone as I had benefitted from this awesome forum.

My HT blog - 2600 - Dr. Feller: http://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/PD/blog/68/

• 4 weeks later...

My head is completely back to normal. No redness, No numbness, shockloss was minimal and a few hairs have sprung up in the transplanted areas. I thought I would see a little more growth than I currently have but I guess I have to give it a couple of more months.

Sorry, I chose not to do photo's for personal reasons but I'm willing to answer any questions about my surgery.

Good Luck to everyone and I'll keep you posted!!!

I had my procedure done aug 16th, 4th day of I do have swelling, and take the Pain medicine as a Caution, I to got about 100 grafts free, I am 3 on the Norwood scale, and got 1300 Grafts. I do have a full set of hair, just receding at the crowns 35 years old...My question is HOW DO WE KNOW WE ARE GETTING THAT MANY GRAfTS?? I know They say I have 1300, But Looking at my sclap, It doesnt look like it??? and Is it painful to get the stitches out??? I get them out next week

But I know the feeling, I am estatic Its over I am so excited it bothered me for years, and since I am not wrking Right now, I can relax at home, Every day that goes by I feel better and better Its over with, and I can go on, But in all honesty, I am already thinking about getting my 2nd one, so I can achieve that max density, Becuase It really seems like 2 transplants gives you the BEST RESULTS, NO MATEER what u ARE ON THE norwood scale!

pete,

i dont think its easy to verify how many grafts a doc put in. i havent had a transplantation myself yet, but its probably purely 'trust'.. or if you are desperate, have someone count the red dots right after the surgery.. or did you already do that and found they are way off ?? icon_razz.gificon_razz.gificon_razz.gif

are you not the guy who got the cheapest hair transplant in Chicago ??

Yes I gotthem pretty cheap, U know I dont know it doesnt look like I got 1300 grafts, but then again I have single haoirs and double hairs, U know I go next tueday to get my stitches Out I know the doc wont be there, I am going to ask a MEDICAL ASSISITANT, I got to know HER AND SHE HAS BEEN telling me secrets, and I am going to ask her, If I got them, oh well

Pete,

I personally think its fair to ask "How they know they tranplanted x number of grafts" or "How do I know you transplanted x number of grafts" although, I would put it more diplomatically..

I wonder how our HT Veterans here verify ?? I wouldnt worry too much if the number I was told was more or less by about 100 grafts.. but otherwise, i would.. its my hard earned money for God's sake !

PD.