Parameters examined during evaluation

What are all the exact parameters (scalp laxity, hair shaft diameter, hair density?) examined by the hair transplantation surgeon during the initial personal consultation/evaluation ?

What might be the definitions of these parameters (text book or working)?

take care...

What are all the exact parameters (scalp laxity, hair shaft diameter, hair density?) examined by the hair transplantation surgeon during the initial personal consultation/evaluation ?

What might be the definitions of these parameters (text book or working)?

take care...

During a consultation, the doctor will first listen to the patient's concerns and then determined the cause of the problem. If the cause is MPB, for example, and surgery is a possible solution, the doctor will consider the patient's goals (long-term and short-term), the current level of hair loss, the worse-case-scenario level of hair loss, the hair supply versus demand, donor hair density, follicular density, scalp laxity, hair shaft diameter, wave/curl of the hair, hair/skin contrast, whether or not a patient is on an oral or topical therapy to retard hair loss, etc. There are, of course, other factors to consider as well. But, I believe I have hit most of the biggies here.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

mmhce,

You are asking some terrific questions.

The higher the donor density, the more available and viable grafts you will have available in multiple procedures. Scalp laxity also plays a major role in this.

The greater number of grafts you have to work with, the more liberal a doctor can be and do more dense packing in appropriate areas while still covering as much of the balding area as possible. Of course, the actual hair restoration plan is going to be different depending on the goals of the patient (assuming they are realistic).

Those with thicker hair may not require as much dense packing than those with thinner hair. This will allow a surgeon flexibility in doing more coverage work if desired.

I hope this helps.

Bill

I will endeavour to add some definitions.

Some aid may be found here about parameters examined prior to surgery:

http://www.articlesbase.com/hair-loss-articles/follicul...n-part-1-610183.html

http://www.articlesbase.com/men's-health-articles/folli...n-part-2-610186.html

With kind acknowledgement of Robert M. Bernstein, MD, F.A.A.D

take care...

I agree with Bill's points.

A few related points:

a. Thicker hair at a moderate density will often deliver a similar result as thin or moderate hair with a high density pack. So, it follows then that a patient with thicker hair may require fewer overall grafts to reach a given goal. For example: a Norwood III with thinner donor hair might need 3,000 grafts to fill in the front/hairline area. A Norwood III with thicker donor hair might need only 1,500-1,800 grafts to get the same sort of result. It can be pretty drastic!

b. In the same vein, curl is another hugely important factor. Patients with curly or wavy hair tend to get a fuller look than patients with straight hair (with all other factors being equal).

mmhc,

I scanned your articles. Good find.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.