Proscar prescription: Difficult to obtain with some docs?

Midiman

I have a HT procedure in one week. The doctor stated I should take Propecia following the procedure to help keep the hair I already have.

The problem is, I'd rather split Proscar tablets to save money.

Are most doctors willing to write Proscar prescriptions or do their ethics (and/or Merck contractual obligations) discourage this?

Thanks

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Midi-

I can only speak from personal experience. My Doc from HT #1 prescribed Proscar for me without a problem. I don't remember seeing any threads here stating that this is an issue so I doubt that it is. Proscar will definitely save you money.

On another note..........you may want to ask your Doc about an every other day doseage. Dr. Wong recommended this to me after HT#2 when I started finasteride and said it was okay since it actively inhibits DHT in your body for a period of 72 hrs. If you go with this........a 30 pill supply will last you 8 months. Since my HT #2 was in the crown, and that's the most likely place for finasteride to help you, it's a little tougher for me to determine the drugs effectiveness for me. However, I have unmistakenly seen some mild regrowth all along the front of my hairline where I know there was nothing 6 months ago.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Thanks hairbank,

I guess my concern stems from the fact that Proscar is known primarily as a prostate medication, and ethically some doctors may not want to prescribe it for hairloss. Did you talk with Dr. Wong about a Proscar prescript?

Dr. Keene has also suggested EOD usage since my first go-around with Propepia led to major sexual side effects. Now I'm back on 1mg a day prior to surgery with her.

Midi

'06/2500 w/Dr. Keene

'07/1500 w/Dr. Keene

My Hair Loss Weblog

Midi-

Doc Wong is in Canada and I wanted to fill the script locally, the the U.S., where I live. I called my Doc from HT #1, he called in the Proscar script. Even though Proscar is used for BPH, I think it's pretty common that it's prescribed for hair loss as several on this site and other sites use it.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.