When Will Hair Start to Grow?

I had a transplant with Dr. Epstein on July 4th. I have found one thing out...to slow time down have a hair transplant. I try not to look at it every day but this has been the longest three months I've ever lived waiting to see some evidence of hair growth. I think I see a few bits of stubble coming in and I assume they will come in at different rates. His post op instructions say that patients should see hair begin to grow 2 1/2 to 3 months after the procedure. It has been three months and I really don't see too much. Can I get some feedback on how long it took others to see their hair start to grow? I have used 5% Minoxidil since about 10 days after the procedure and I will continue that until mid October per his instructions.

The top left part of my head above the donor site is also still numb and sore to the touch when I am shampooing. The post op information says that is also normal.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I had a transplant with Dr. Epstein on July 4th. I have found one thing out...to slow time down have a hair transplant. I try not to look at it every day but this has been the longest three months I've ever lived waiting to see some evidence of hair growth. I think I see a few bits of stubble coming in and I assume they will come in at different rates. His post op instructions say that patients should see hair begin to grow 2 1/2 to 3 months after the procedure. It has been three months and I really don't see too much. Can I get some feedback on how long it took others to see their hair start to grow? I have used 5% Minoxidil since about 10 days after the procedure and I will continue that until mid October per his instructions.

The top left part of my head above the donor site is also still numb and sore to the touch when I am shampooing. The post op information says that is also normal.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Guest wanthairs

hey time......

I understand how you feel. My growth started at 7.5 weeks, but it was very tiny. At 20 weeks it is still fairly minor. Apparently the biggest growth occurs at 6 months but it is different for everybody. Some peope have a bush at 5 months, some take one year. Time really has slowed down for me too and my mirrors are all worn out from me looking at them

Welcome to the waiting game!

Give yourself about 4 - 6 months to see a cosmetic result. The best thing to do is just forget about it for now or you will drive yourself nuts!

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Time,

I know exactly how you feel. I had my HT done July 2nd and 3rd, two procedures, and am just like you. Although not as sore anymore, the area is still a little numb to the touch. I tried using 5% rogaine but got blisters so I'm just on .5mg propecia once/day. Doc said to give it 8 to 12 months to start seeing some results, you're right, time has slowed down so we'll just wait. Good luck. Slowly

Hi Boys

All in all give yourself about 8 months for Shockloss, and significant growth to show up ..

Just mark it on your calendar and enjoy the ride.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hey Guys,

Thanks so much for your replies. It is a double edged sword. I'm feeling better that it is normal to have very little growth in three months but I'm not too happy to learn it could be another five or six months before it really looks cosmetically acceptable. I'll just need to realize the pay off is a lifetime of my own real growing hair and not be in a hurry.

My hair is straight, very thick and dense so where it was thinning or lost on the top and front looked really off balance since the rest of my hair was so thick. I had 2550 grafts put in the front and once that grows in I need to decide if I want the next 2500 in the front to have maximum density or if I want the remaining grafts on the crown. I know someone that does lace hair replacements and he said if I decide to use the remaining grafts in the front to thicken it up he could make a small lace piece for my crown which would be undetectable. He said he has other clients that have done that. I suppose I'd have to see them first to decide. My bald area on the crown is a little bigger than a silver dollar. If I had my procedure July 4th how long will it be before I will have enough growth to determine if I want the remaining grafts in the front or on the crown? Thanks!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Time to do something,

Our members have given you some great feedback so far.

Unfortunately, though I can certainly understand how you feel, you will have to wait for a number of months before you see significant cosmetic improvement. 12 months is typically when a hair transplant is considered mature, but growth is so gradual that you will experience a lot of growth inbetween.

I recommend reading the following Hair Loss Q&A blog: Growth After a Hair Transplant.

I would hope that your hair restoration physician explained this to you prior to surgery.

Best wishes,

Bill