Dr. Bernstein and Proscar

This is very weird. In January, I had a consultation with Dr. Bernstein in his N.J. office. He recommended that I wait a year to get surgery. He suggested a regimen of Proscar for 1 year to see how I do on it. 1/4 tab daily. However, he wrote a script for 6 months. I called in to my pharmacy for a refill because the bottle read, "1 more refill before 1/09/08." The pharmacy called to tell me that they cannot fill this script, and that I have to call the insurance company to get them to sign off on it. They called Dr. Bernstein and he said he would not do it.

I find this odd. How in the world would a doctor, whose diagnosis was very conservative, tell me to take a year before surgery, prescribe meds as a treatment, then reneg on it in the middle of the treatment? I know the reason is probably more to do with the insurance company than anything, but the thing that rubs me the wrong way here is that Dr. Bernstein has not answered any e-mails to explain what is going on. He had been good about that, even answering a couple of questions that I had via e-mail. Now, nothing.

I'm disappointed, and will seek my hair transplant surgery elsewhere.

That's odd

I didn't think you get get Proscar filled for insurance because it is for cosmetic purposes?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Truth seeker, The truth is that Dr. Bernstein can get into trouble for prescribing a Prostrate drug to a MPB patient.

So it seems he was trying to save you some money by prescribing Proscar rather than propecia.

You may have put the Doctor in a bad position,

this is why he denied the prescription when the pharmacy called.

I think that is what happened.

Going through insurance for proscar for hairloss isn't worth it in my opinion for exactly this reason. Easier to just bite the bullet and pay for it.

I think he should answer the emails but I totally understand why he didn't authorize it. In fact I wonder if it never occurred to him in the first place that you would go through insurance.

Interesting discussion.

I think folica may have hit the nail on the head...but I guess we won't know for sure unless Dr. Bernstein answers Truth's emails.

Perhaps Dr. Bernstein has been very busy and hasn't gotten your emails? Have you tried calling him?

Of course, if he is ignoring you, that is unprofessional and not so courteous.

I hope he gives you his official answer soon.

In the meantime...I suggest paying for it without insurance.

Bill

Folica,

Good call on this one. There is a term for this (I can't recall right now though). The docs can get in a lot of shit if they are prescribing this drug for MPB. Remember as it does work for MPB it is designed and approved by the FDA for enlargement of the prostate.

Personally I think that it is only fair to the docs that we just pay cash for Proscar unless you are over 40 and it might be justified for prostate issues.

This ofcourse doesn't excuse him for not contacting his patients to explain.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Correct me if I am wrong, but a doctor can prescribe a medication/drug for a purpose other than its intended purpose. That is my understanding. I think I heard that somewhere.

Where people can get into trouble is if they start to claim false illnesses like prostate problems with the sole purpose of bilking the insurance company.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

I don't know if this applies to your case, but during my first year on Propecia, I was required to have blood work after the first six months before the prescription was refilled. I have heard that some doctors monitor the patient this way (check the liver I think) for the first year to make sure your body is responding ok. Again, I guess Dr. Bernstein would have mentioned that though if it was required.

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

You may have put the Doctor in a bad position,

this is why he denied the prescription when the pharmacy called.

I have already had two refills! I paid $20 co-pays each time, and in no conversations with Dr. Bernstein did he say that it would not be covered under my insurance, nor did he advise against going through my insurance. I notified him of a list of drugs that my insurer was targeting with regards to it's coverage, and all he said in an e-mail several weeks ago was to use the generic. So you tell me, how is this MY fault?

For the record, I am not seeing any results from Proscar. Granted it is only 6 months. He recommended a year. The thing that bothers me to no end, and I know Dr. Bernstein reads these messages on the forum is why he refuses to respond to my questions!

Truthseeker-

I don't know what the huff is about. It's not like he rushed you into the chair. This is about a few bucks. It sounds like you broke the chain by getting involved with the insurance company and the pharmacy. Whereas if you had called Dr. Bernstein first this probably would not have happened.

Sorry man- but this low priority stuff. I wouldn't be doing a step and fetch it either just to give someone a script or to be on call for their queries about insurance coverage.

This comes under the heading "no good deed goes unpunished."

I know when I go for a refill my doc will either call it in or I go in and get a script from him and pay for the visit then say thank you.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

So you tell me, how is this MY fault?

Truthseeker, It is not your fault.

When I said you may have put the doctor in a bad position, I believe that it was just by accident that the wires got tangled.

Not fault of yours to be sure!

I was just trying to explain why the doctor refused the prescription when your pharmacy called.

As far as why the doctor does not answer you is

a good question.

Helloooo Doctor Bernstein...your patient is calling, Please pick up the phone!

can you imagine if the insurance company calls Dr Berstein to inquire about his expertise on prostate health? Or worse, complain to the med board.

Pay for yourself and stop blaming the doctor. You knew or should have known that insurance companies do not pay for hairloss drugs, which proscar is when is prescribe by Dr Bernstein. You got away with it for 6 months, look on the bright side.

Hey John, You're accusing me of insurance fraud? Last we've all been told, Propecia was approved as a drug to treat hair loss, like minoxidil, or am I missing something? Also, Dr. Bernstein at no time, and I reiterate this, said "do not run this through your insurance because it will not be approved." I processed the script with my pharmacist in a business as usual manner. I wasn't trying to "get away with anything". It was covered in the past, now it appears it is not. So, what am I trying to get away with?

Every transplant surgeon that has worked on me or counseled me has recommended that I be on this drug. To quote the law enforcement officer in the Chris Benoit case (regarding steroid prescriptions), hair transplant surgeons are writing scripts for Finestaride "Like they are candy". If that's the case, then who is breaking the law? If they are writing scripts for a prostate drug in order to treat hair loss, and it is NOT approved for hair loss, then they are breaking the law.

Tell me you wouldn't be in the same "huff" if you discovered that what cost $20 now cost $80, and the doctor who wrote the script wouldn't answer your questions. People like you make me want to pull out what's left of my hair.

Truth Seeker,

Cool it bro. In your 1st post in this thread you stated that Bernstein wrote you a script for Proscar and now you just stated it was propecia??

Propecia--approved for hairloss. Not covered by insurance.

Proscar--not approved for hairloss but covered by insurance for PROSTATE problems.

Got it?? Now apologize to John and move on.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

Gentlemen,

I don't think there is any need to get nasty on either side or the other.

Personally, I can relate to Truth Seeker here and don't feel he did anything wrong by going through his insurance company. However, if they will no longer cover it, so be it, and he'll have to pay for the medication himself.

NN,

John's post could have been interpreted as a little harsh toward Truth Seeker. "Pay for yourself and stop blaming the doctor" is a statement of command. I think commands have a tendency to put people on edge. Perhaps both should apologize to one another and move on.

In the meantime...

I'd like to see Dr. Bernstein get back to Truth Seeker, but I strongly recommend that he call Dr. Bernstein to take care of this. Perhaps the doctor doesn't check his email very often or hasn't had time to respond. Calling into the clinic will probably resolve the matter one way or the other.

Bill

Fals,

it would be seen as a command if I had authority over him...and I don't. Harsh...maybe, but not as harsh as him blaming the doctor for no reason.

My "command" didn't harm or blame anyone; he is making Dr Bernstein seem as having bad patient care when it's obvious why he couldn't follow up. This can cost the doctor business and is not fair.

John,

The point is, I can see why he took your comment as harsh.

I believe he has a right to be concerned with the doctor not getting back to him. But as I stated, it might be because he didn't get the email yet.

To reconcile, he should call the clinic.

But I don't see him blaming the doctor, just expressing concern.

Bill

Bill- you have the heart of a lion. But.. I f I were to read between the lines here . Dr. Bernstein did all off the right things. Not only did disuade "truthseeker " from an impulsive decision and put him off for a year before surgery. He prescribed fin for a year first.

This was at a consult. So dip$hit is pissed of because he wasted $40 dollars and want's an immediate response to his queries from a fine Dr. that has tolerated him for six months?

A Bernstein transplant costs between 6- 10 thousand.Last time I checked. He could have taken the low road but didn't.

This fine doctor did the right thing.

Based on the "Chris Benoit" analogy. He was probably unstable. Good call Dr. Bernstein....

I hope he does find someone else because all he would cause Dr. Bernstein is grief.

Atalo . he has also queered it for everyone else/

It's all a bout you truthseeker.. Isn't it.

I agree with you on one count pull you hair out and save me the effort.

You little self centered SOB.

Aquarius,

You are entitled to your opinion.

But your post is out of line.

This community is DESIGNED to help patients. If a patient has a concern, shall he not come here and post it? Is it selfish? Is it wrong? Does that give you the right to insult him and call him names? I think not.

Did Dr. Bernstein do anything wrong? Not necessarily. Perhaps he IS ignoring Truthseeker's email...in which case, that would be wrong. But there is no proof of that...it's all speculation.

But Truthseeker is not only allowed to but encouraged to post his concerns, and I hope he is not pushed away by posts like yours.

Bill

That's not my opinion it's a fairly acurate obsevation.

If you feel so strongly about it give him your number and have him jeapordize your livelyhood while he's at it.Better get back quick though because he'll plaster it on the internet GET IT?

Read threads from the begining then post.

Just an observation .. not an opinion. In addition he is now claiming that the doctor is breaking the law because of the script and not thoughly advising him. Holy moly. Eye roll.

I don't know what you do bro . But I have been in business for over 20 years and this is the type that makes it all worth while. : )

Sorry to cut to the quick but I hope the door doesn't hit him in the ass while he seeks out the undivided attention he believes he deserves while he is parked in a handicapped space, because he'll only be a minute.

Do the math.

Originally posted by Bill:

Did Dr. Bernstein do anything wrong? Not necessarily. Perhaps he IS ignoring Truthseeker's email...in which case, that would be wrong.

maybe because he has NO choice but to ignore it. He tried to help his patient, but the patient got too greedy and now the doc can get in trouble. He has nothing to tell him: proscar is not supposed to be prescribed by HT docs and definitely NOT billed through the insurance for hair growth.

Guys,

This started off as a pretty innocent thread.

1. Truthseeker couldn't understand why the change in the prescription and why Dr. Bernstein wasn't returning e-mails.

2. We gave him explanations as to why there were issues. Ht docs technically shouldn't prescribe Proscar and legally it can't be turned into an insurance company when prescribed for anything other than its intended use.

3. Somehow he read into some posts that he was being accused of insurance fraud---Not the case. It was not implied. It is not necessarily fraud if you don't realize it is not allowed. Sometimes ignorance is an excuse.

4. All hell broke out.

Now that he is armed with the knowledge, let's let truthseeker settle things with Dr. Bernstein and start to pay cash for Proscar. Simple solution.

NN

NN

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90