Please Help

I just had a HT and I am wondering if I got the latest technology or not. I had a small area of about 4 X 4 on my crown filled in using micro-grafts of 3 or 4 hairs a piece. These were taken from the back of my head. Is this the latest and most effective way to fill in the crown of my head. I dont understand what FUT is or and FUE or what the difference is between non strip or strip is or what the difference between a laser on non laser is. Could you please tell me the difference between all this is, it all seems confusing to me. I have seen some of his patients and they look pretty good and that is what I went by. The doctor told me that the density of my hair in the back will never be what it once was no matter how many procedures I got. Is this really the case? I know that this is a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate it if you could answer all these questions for me please. I hope that I did not make a mistake. I am seven days post op right now.

I just had a HT and I am wondering if I got the latest technology or not. I had a small area of about 4 X 4 on my crown filled in using micro-grafts of 3 or 4 hairs a piece. These were taken from the back of my head. Is this the latest and most effective way to fill in the crown of my head. I dont understand what FUT is or and FUE or what the difference is between non strip or strip is or what the difference between a laser on non laser is. Could you please tell me the difference between all this is, it all seems confusing to me. I have seen some of his patients and they look pretty good and that is what I went by. The doctor told me that the density of my hair in the back will never be what it once was no matter how many procedures I got. Is this really the case? I know that this is a lot of questions, but I would really appreciate it if you could answer all these questions for me please. I hope that I did not make a mistake. I am seven days post op right now.

Pastor,

First thing, relax. You probably haven't ed yourself.

Yes, micro-grafts are an outdated procedure, but still can achieve positive results. With newer techniques, HTs are often less detectable than mini and micro-graft procedures.

You are lucky the work was done in your crown area, rather than having 3-4 hair grafts placed into you front hairline (speaking from experience). It will take 6-8 months before you really know the impact of your surgery, so try to remain patient until then.

I'm not the best to go into all the questions you have. Arfy usually posts something with a link that gives newbies most of that info, so I'll wait for him to do that.

Hang in there.

Mr. T

Thank-u for your kind response. I will wait patiently for anybody that will be able to answer my other questions as well. Im kind of scared, what is the difference between what he did and the newer technology?

Pastor

There is some basic terminology that you should become familiar with, which will help you understand hair transplants and what is considered "the best".

Besides the different graft sizes and ways to prepare the grafts, there is the issue of whether or not it is a good idea to begin the transplant process in the crown area first. In many cases, doctors prefer to leave the crown for last, to make sure there are enough grafts to address the frontal area if the patient continues to lose hair. This may or may not be a factor in your case, I do not know. Everybody has different charecteristics, so it may very well be fine for you.

I recommend that you read up about transplants and learn what you need to learn, so that all your questions are answered. You should not panic at this point, as it is too early to know what your ultimate results will be, and you should hope for the best. Relax and follow your doctor's post-op instructions, and pamper your head while you are in the healing stages.

Technically, a FU graft is a specific type of Micrograft. If your doctor called them Micrografts, they could still be considered FU grafts if they were microscopically dissected. Also, Micrografts are preferred over Minigrafts in my opinion, so if you didn't get Minigrafts that is a positive. It is very possible that you did receive a state-of-the-art procedure, and your doctor just uses different trerminology to describe his technique. Try reading this explanation of FU grafts vs. Mini and Micrografts:

"Best hair transplant procedure"

You might also want to read the website http://www.hairtransplantadviser.org/ for some general hair transplant information.

It sounds like your area of hair loss is limited, so I urge you to consider using Propecia and/or other medications to help you retain as much natural hair as possible. The more natural hair you can retain, the better off you will be.

Based on the information you've given so far, it is hard to comment on your situation. Read up, and keep asking questions if you have them.

[This message was edited by arfy on August 02, 2003 at 11:35 AM.]

FUE is a way of transplanting grafts that does not require a donor strip or linear scar. Each graft is removed individually, from all over the back and sides of the head. It stands for "Follicular Unit Extraction".

Read up about Follicular Units and it will make more sense.

FUE is the newest development in hair transplants.

Pastor:

Your approach to seeing the doctors patients is a good way to get an impression of what you can expect. Remember that it will take 9-12 months before you can evaluate your results from the procedure done...be patient! There is a new book you might want to read "The Hair Replacement Revolution" by Drs. James Harris, and Emanuel Marritt, Square One Publishers.

Bobby Limmer, MD/jal

icon_wink.gif

Dr. Limmer