Pics can be deceiving

Don't just go on a few pics, when judging a doctor's work. Whenever possible it's best to see patients in person. Pics can really fool you, even when the doctor has good intentions. You need to see a transplant result from all angles, not just the front.

Look at this, looks pretty good right?

sample1.jpg.74c4ebeeb29d5079a635da9682cd2cb5.jpg

Don't just go on a few pics, when judging a doctor's work. Whenever possible it's best to see patients in person. Pics can really fool you, even when the doctor has good intentions. You need to see a transplant result from all angles, not just the front.

Look at this, looks pretty good right?

However, additional angles would give a better idea of what the results look like. How often do you see patients at this angle?

This is the same guy as pic #1, taken at the same time, same camera, same room etc.

sample2.jpg.d8db1301a85a757dd51c5bf6c95a2785.jpg

Here's the back.

Lots of times, doctors are showing the frontal hairline only, as if that's all that matters. Sure it's vitally important, but when you see a transplanted hairline, sometimes guys just assume that there's the same amount of hair behind it. Not necessarily so.

Jacob i agree with you and Arfy.When i went for my 1st procedure i made sure i met two past patients before i decided on getting a Ht.I guy in his 50's would consider the back looking like Arfy's example but a younger guy wants both the back and front to look good.SO people just beware of pictures.Do your OWN research before the final deceison is made.

Damo

Excellent post Arfy. Pictures can be misleading either by accident or by design. There are simply too many variables like camera angles, lighting, and focus which can dramatically alter an image. Of course, we won't even mention what can be done to retouch an image with programs like Photoshop.

Obviously, the best way of seeing a doctor's work is to see it in person - and not through the oftentimes distorted and limited eye of the camera.

FS

• 2 weeks later...

I think frontal pic # 1 looks grafty and poor to begin with. Not very natural. I wanted to sue my Doctor.I was afraid if a judge looked at the Doctor's and consultant poor HT ;then how did I think mine would like better.

Hello All,

This is in response to the topic of pictures being deceiving but also ties into my post of celebrities who may have had hair restoration. I was checking out Bosley's website (out of curiosity to see if they had any new surgeons)and who happens to be their latest celeb spokesperson/patient but Pat O'Brien of "Access Hollywood" fame. I have always thought he had very thin, fine hair but never completely bald on top and looking very appropriate for a man his age.

Of course Bosley had the before and after pictures but to me they were very inconclusive as to whether he actually had anything done. The "before" was under very stark lighting and looked like a mug shot, which may be the case given some of the controversies about him recently. His head was bowed and his wisps of hair were combed straight forward/down, which of course exposed and accentuated the barren areas. The "afters" were essentially publicity shots from the TV show. He was shown from the front only and even then not a close up and in subdued lighting. The hair was swept back and up and it looks as if he colors his hair and/or uses something like Toppik to give more of an appearance of fullness.

It just shows that we shouldn't put much stock in pictures alone which can be easily manipulated. In his comments, O'Brien swore that his proceedures were "so easy and didn't hurt at all" Those of us who have been there know that is also a skewering of the truth.

PCC

I think the general rule of thumb is...Don;t just be bought by the occassional before and after shot on a clinic's website.

I think it is important to get photos from previous patients over a period of time. I certainly know some of my photos on http://www.headofhair.co.uk make my hair look amazing post procedure and some look OK.

My advice...ask to speak to ex-patients and see lots of photos before making a decision.

I did and am 100% happy with the results.

Cheers

Andy

Pat's front looks grafty and I knew he had work done (although it is not offensively bad). Some guys don't mind being spotted as a transplant (or a toupee wearer) as long as it looks reasonably good. Other guys want it to be totally secret, that they had a transplant. On that level, Pat OBrien's transplant fails the test. Obviously Pat doesn't care who knows, if he appears on their website.

Pat looks extremely thin in the back, as noted by others. You rarely see him from that angle on TV, only just a glimpse in passing.

Pat's result from Bosley are better than Wade Bogg's results from MHR, from what I can tell.