what can someone do instead of Propecia...

OK so here it is...I think I'm allergic to propecia but it finally seems to be working wonders for me. I'm breaking out in odd rashes all over and I'm poretty sure it's the Propecia...My queston is if there is any alternative to propecia for people who can't tolerate it...please tell me some good news..what about saw palmetto...I heard that lowers DHT...

any info would be great...

OK so here it is...I think I'm allergic to propecia but it finally seems to be working wonders for me. I'm breaking out in odd rashes all over and I'm poretty sure it's the Propecia...My queston is if there is any alternative to propecia for people who can't tolerate it...please tell me some good news..what about saw palmetto...I heard that lowers DHT...

any info would be great...

there is something called betasterosterals or somethign like that.

what it is is saw palmetto times 100

can get at any health food store.

I botched the name of it, but it's something beta sisterols.

I gotta try something... I think this propecia is really messin up my skin... all on the body like hives and rashes and just overall itching...maybe I can go off it for a while and try that stuff.. and see if it's really the propecia that doin this to me...

any docs out there that have an opinion...

Go to your doctor and have him perscribe you Avodart. Not many doctors will do so since Propecia is available, but if you're allergic to it, I'm sure you'll be lucky enough to get him to write you a perscription. It's more potent than Propecia, but also blocks both types of DHT, that's my suggestion. Your insurance will also pay for most of it unlike Propecia if you have a perscription plan... Good luck, I hope everything works out for you.

It all depends on your particular insurance company, but some are willing to cover it since it's supposedly used to treat BPH (benign prostatic hyperplasia, or enlarging of the prostate). I would venture a guess that more men will use it for hair loss than for prostate problems, and eventually the insurance companies will get wise to this. That's what happened with Proscar, or at least as far as Aetna is concerned. They convered it for a while, but then dropped it from their formulary.

Avodart has a pretty good chance, IMO, to be covered by your medical plan IF you can get a doctor to write your script. That may be tough, depending on the doctor.

Another thing is that I would venture to guess that if you are allergic to Propecia, then you will be allergic to Avodart as well.

Like justin said, Avodart is a "stronger form of Propecia": It blocks two enzymes that faciliate the DHT conversion process in your body instead of one. Usually, that means DHT conversion from testosterone rate is blocked at about 95% instead of 70% with Propecia.

And the half-life of Avodart is 6 months and not 2 weeks like Propecia. So, if you are allergic to Avodart as well, chances are that you will have that rash for quite some time after stopping the use of Avodart.

Sorry man, I don't want to dash your hopes on Avodart to bits. But be careful on this one. I don't know what your rash is like, but trading more hair for a persistent rash is not the type of trade off that I'd be looking to make.

vocor1

Knowledge is Power

If the worst question is the one never asked, then the worst answer is the one never shared.

• 8 months later...

If Avodart is like Propecia but stronger, would it make sense to continue using Propecia if one started taking Avodart? In other words, does Avodart do everything that Propecia does and more, or does Avodart attack DHT in a different manner so that taking Propecia would still be of incremental benefit vs taking Avodart standalone?