Think again about BHT

Gorpy

Anyone considering Body Hair Transplants, should think twice about it. Check out Lucky Man's story on the other site. Who says FUE is scarless?

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Anyone considering Body Hair Transplants, should think twice about it. Check out Lucky Man's story on the other site. Who says FUE is scarless?

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

The past few weeks, I have seen a plethora of posts for and against body hair transplants and donor sealing.

I have shared my experience and pictures previously. I do not like to participate in the rampant politics that goes on in these and other forums.

So, I will not talk about the recent controversies.

But I want to talk about some facts relating to body hair transplants.

Many are aware of my history. As you know, I am in favor of complete hair restorations, not half way measures.

I am, therefore, also in favour of body hair transplants. That is because there is no other feasible method, as of today, that can give a person anywhere near as many grafts that he wants.

The 2 big questions when it comes to body hair transplants are -

Yeild and Donor area scarring.

Donor area scarring is an issue that is presently being discussed.

So, I will like to share my experience and thoughts. I am not a doctor, so all I state is only from what I have experienced and seen in myself and some other patients and what I have read up.

Here goes.

-Patients should consider their skin type/color. Whether they are white or colored. Do they plan to tan their skin?

-Nobody says that there will be no body donor scarring. All you have is doctors trying to minimize/eliminate the visible scarring.

There will be,specially if you have a colored skin,

hyperpigmentation, redness and maybe brownish spots for months.

They will take time to fade.

In my case, the first time the chest hair were extracted, I had brownish raised spots. They persisted for months. But at the 1 year post op mark, I examined the area very carefully. I could not make out any spot or raised areas.

I know another patient. He noticed a complete resolution in as little as 6 months. I do not know why he had a better response than me.

I also noticed that the 2nd time I had my chest hair grafts taken, the healing process completed in just 8 months.

I do not know whether it was due to a different chest area that was chosen or some other factor.

I had grafts taken from my abdomen and my pubic areas too.

Donor sealing was performed on the abdomen but not in the pubic areas.

However, the visible healing proceeded along similar lines.I noticed hyperpigmentation (brownish discoloration) in both the areas as well as raised areas. Ultimately, they became level and skin colored.

I do not think that the hyperpigmentation or the raised areas has any correlation to donor sealing.

I had a few grafts taken out from where the donor sealant fell off.

That was from my forearm. The donor sites again followed a similar course. The hyperpigmentation was a bit more. Maybe because the arm was exposed to sunlight. But even today, more than a year later, those donor sites are visible as white spots.

I do not know for sure why the armpit and the pubic areas did not develop white spots even though no donor sealant was applied to them, but the forearm did.

The only reason I can think of is that the armpit and the pubic area donor sites closed on their own because of the skin being lax in those areas. The forearm skin could not close by itself because it was not lax.

Now, after my most recent bht, a mere 2 and a half months ago, I notice a remarkably faster resolution in the donor sites.

I see things happening this time round at 2 month mark, that previously happened at the 6 month mark.

Is it due to the new non punch method used by Dr. A?

I can not answer for sure.

What I do know is that the body donor extraction sites healed and became non visible, the first time round as well as the second time round.

The only problem I ever faced was with the few donor sites on the forearm, where the donor sealant fell off.

Now when I see all sort of speculations going around, I think it is apt to remind people that there as as many as 3 generation of bht extraction methods.

1st generation being where the donor extraction are punch based as well as no donor sealant is applied.

2nd generation being where the extractions are punch based but donor sealant is applied.

3rd generation is where the non punch methods are being used (with and without donor sealant depending on the areas in question).

If the 1st generation methods are used for extractions, and the patient is not very fair, the resultant white spots will stand out.

To say that since the doctors performing the 3rd generation extraction methods are not using donor sealant in certain cases and donor locations, so the 1st generation techniques do not require it, is irresponsible and dangerous.

My experience, for all that it is worth.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.

Thanks for the objective view, finally free. I'm happy to see that the calamity on other forums has not leaked over to these forums, but I do wish that more posters would speak about their BHT experiences here for the education value. Your input has been great.

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

Being new from what i have learned is that Body hair doesnt have a natural look. ABove all body hair doesnt grow! But an NW7 with loads of BH should consider a BHT , i dont think so full hair restoration and necessary. If our hairline is fine everthing is fine and people dont look whether ur crown area is blading or not.Ur first impression is ur hairline.

Originally posted by Down_under:

Being new from what i have learned is that Body hair doesnt have a natural look. ABove all body hair doesnt grow!

But an NW7 with loads of BH should consider a BHT , i dont think so full hair restoration and necessary. If our hairline is fine everthing is fine and people dont look whether ur crown area is blading or not.Ur first impression is ur hairline.

I disagree with you in some respects.

Let me put it this way. A few years down the line as more doctors start providing bht, you may be faced with 2 choices. Treat only the hairline and forget the rest.

Or treat the hair loss to the fullest extent possible. With generous use of body hair, of course.

I think there will be very few who will settle for the first option.

Right now, body hairtransplants are in their early stages. But I speak from personal experience. Body hair grows and does not look unnatural.

Body hair grows in the hands of the right doctors. Unfortunately, as yet, there are too few of them doctors. So, in a strange way, you may be right.

You go to your nearest hair transplant doctor and most probably your body hair may not grow.

7500 grafts till now. All by Dr. Arvind/Dr.A, New Delhi.

They include strip FUHT, FUE and body hair grafts.

Hoping to accomplish full hair restoration.