1 year on Propecia... is it working?

I started using Propecia one year ago to the day, and I've been keeping a chart to track my progress. Around March my camera stopped working. May, I used a borrowed camera, and June I bought a new one of my own. I noticed that with different cameras, my hair loss looks different.

What I am hoping is that some of the vets can take a look at this chart and give me their opinion on a few things:

1.) In your opinion, does it looks like I've stabilized my hair loss, or that its getting worse? (keep in mind different cameras)

2.) Anyone have an idea what it looks like the ultimate NW pattern will end up as?

3.) I am 27. Given this past year and its progress, would you recommend a HT? (currently looking at Hasson or Shapiro)

4.) I'm considering about 4000 grafts with one of the above physicians... what do you guys think the results will be if I go through with it?

I just started using rogaine foam in addition to Propecia a few weeks ago. Hopefully that will help as well.

I really appreciate everyones input. Thank you!

8721098033_6766C498342A815C51CF100D50BEB60D.jpg.thumb

-Steve

I don't work for a doctor.

Got 2700 fu from Ron Shapiro, 11-30-7

I started using Propecia one year ago to the day, and I've been keeping a chart to track my progress. Around March my camera stopped working. May, I used a borrowed camera, and June I bought a new one of my own. I noticed that with different cameras, my hair loss looks different.

What I am hoping is that some of the vets can take a look at this chart and give me their opinion on a few things:

1.) In your opinion, does it looks like I've stabilized my hair loss, or that its getting worse? (keep in mind different cameras)

2.) Anyone have an idea what it looks like the ultimate NW pattern will end up as?

3.) I am 27. Given this past year and its progress, would you recommend a HT? (currently looking at Hasson or Shapiro)

4.) I'm considering about 4000 grafts with one of the above physicians... what do you guys think the results will be if I go through with it?

I just started using rogaine foam in addition to Propecia a few weeks ago. Hopefully that will help as well.

I really appreciate everyones input. Thank you!

8721098033_6766C498342A815C51CF100D50BEB60D.jpg.thumb

-Steve

i am trying to evaluate your pictures but its very hard, too many pictures on one page, should of done it seperately so we can view the pics larger.

also i know you used a different camera, but they seem like different angles, different zoom(s) from camera, etc.

but i still gave it a shot.

my first observance was your crown area, it seems like you suffered a lost of hair in this section in your most recent picture. after reading, i hope this is from the shedding process of rogaine..

i dont know if you regrew any hair, but it did seem like you maintained what you had(which is its purpose). your hair seems also a bit more healthier, it seems darker and thicker.

hope someone else puts in some feedback as well to confirm with my thoughts

sorry i forgot to answer the other questions

to me it seems like as of right now you are around the norwood 4 scale.

i hate to say it but you may end up along the lines of a nw 6.

i have no experience with Hasson or Shapiro, but i have seen wonderful results from these physicians.

4000 graft seems like a decent ammount, the average rule is to multiple 1000 by your norwood scale and u get the number of grafts you should need(conservative side)

as far as how your results will go, its best to go through the patient gallery of this site and find someone who has a similar hairloss as yours with the same ammount of grafts applied.

your head and hairloss resembles that of Bill before his first HT. similar skin tone, forehead shape, i think he has a little bit lighter hair color. i think that favors him cause if skin color and hair color match, it fits better for cameflouge...i think

hope i helped

I don't see much change which is a good thing meaning the propecia is helping to maintain what hair you have.

Probably a NW 6 or 7.

Yes, with either of these fine surgeons!

Excellent, I think you will be a very happy man..

Good luck, you are on the right track!

Yeah, I noticed what seemed to be a little loss at the end too, but I'm not sure if thats actually there, or due to the use of a new camera. Thats why I wanted opinions though, so thank you. =)

Does it look like there is a difference between the 7-7 pics and the 7-27 pics? Three weeks can't make that huge of a difference, right?

And folica, thanks for the response... do you really think I might end up at a nw7?

-Steve

Emu, there is no way to accuratey tell how far your hairloss will progress.

At 27 I had more hair than you do now, but over the past 20 years or so I slowly became a NW6.

But thats just me.

Your's may stabilize, thats the best you can hope for...

Well the best you can hope for is a new cure!

I still don't see any appreciable difference in the pics, which like I said is a good thing! Hopefully the propecia is doing its job...

Emu Steve,

I believe that the propecia has slowed your hairloss--doubtful that it grew any or stopped. I also agree that it made your hair a little healthier looking.

Personally I would plan that you will likely be a NW 6. Sorry, but at your age and the hairloss pattern already established, it appears you are heading in that direction. You can make a pretty drastic difference and save about 1000 fu if you go with a more conservative hairline. This will enable you to achieve more coverage and density in the long run. Good luck.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90