Styling

I notice that most transplant patients always comb their hair back ...is there a specific reason other than to make it appear fuller behind the hairline. I am a Norwood 2-3 max at 52 with a front forelock and receding behind it...if I had a procedure done could I still have my hair styled forward? I have curly hair and lots of donor hair and assume to get the 80 fu density would require 3-4 k hairs...does thats eem reasonable. I don't style my hair back and want to know that youi can wear it anyway you want. Thanks.

I notice that most transplant patients always comb their hair back ...is there a specific reason other than to make it appear fuller behind the hairline. I am a Norwood 2-3 max at 52 with a front forelock and receding behind it...if I had a procedure done could I still have my hair styled forward? I have curly hair and lots of donor hair and assume to get the 80 fu density would require 3-4 k hairs...does thats eem reasonable. I don't style my hair back and want to know that youi can wear it anyway you want. Thanks.

Absolutely. If you have the "required" density you can do as you please! icon_smile.gif

-----------

*A Follicles Dying Wish To Clinics*

1 top-down, 1 portrait, 1 side-shot, 1 hairline....4 photos. No flash.

Follicles have asked for centuries, in ten languages, as many times so as to confuse a mathematician.

Enough is enough! Give me documentation or give me death!

Actually, to pull off that "combed back" style, one needs to have relatively good density on the order of at least 60-70 FU/cm2, otherwise that style can tend to look a bit sparse-

In fact, styling the hair forward is more forgiving than combing it back, when talking about transplanted hair that is present at a "one procedure density".

Moreover, the fact that you have curly hair is even more forgiving, as it gives the appearance of greater "optical density" (vs "real density") than with straighter hair types.

As per thanatopsis, once density increases (after a couple of procedures if you started with "nothing" or very little) you can style as you like.

Hope that helps-

Timothy Carman, MD ABHRS

President, (ABHRS)
ABHRS Board of Directors

Strangely enough..i had the same question when i first started doing my research. Yes, you can style your hair anyway you want. In fact, once you're grafts mature I'm sure you'll be trying all sorts of things in front of the mirror with your "new" hair icon_biggrin.gif

- badger

3279 grafts with Dr Gabel - 06/12/08

My Hair Loss Website - Hair Transplant with Dr. Gabel