The argument FOR dense packing

Dr. Alan Feller

I have noticed a literal epidemic of patients visiting our office who've had mediocre to poor quality HT work in the RECENT past. Almost all of these people had one thing in the common: the clinics they picked did NOT perform dense pack surgery on them. What is even more sinister is that several clinics CLAIMED to have performed dense pack surgery when clearly they did not.

Those who did not perform dense pack procedures claimed they were justified because the ultimate growth yield would be far lower due to damage to the blood supply. Will this false justification EVER go away?

For those patients and doctors who still don't get it, it is OK to dense pack grafts IF, and only IF, small blades, GENUINE microscopic and ultra-refind methods are used CONSISTENTLY.

Here is an example of an ultra dense pack only 4 months after surgery. For now forget about the incredible rate of speed with which this patient started growing, and focus on the area.

In the before photo you can see a triangle was drawn around the perimeter of BALD skin in what I call a temple triangle. Use his large birth mark as a reference point. Then look at the bottom photo and see how dense this same area is only 4 month later after 70 grafts per cm sq were implanted into that area. Use the birth mark as a reference to compare to the before photo to confirm that this hairy area are actually grafts.

When you look for an HT doctor PLEASE make sure they are advocates of DENSE PACKING. I will post "hairjet" case in few days with all photos, but I felt it would be very educational for newbies and veterans alike to see this result as a testiment to the NECESSITY of dense packing.

Dr. Feller

http://www.fellermedicaldata.com/images/hairjet/1.jpg

I have noticed a literal epidemic of patients visiting our office who've had mediocre to poor quality HT work in the RECENT past. Almost all of these people had one thing in the common: the clinics they picked did NOT perform dense pack surgery on them. What is even more sinister is that several clinics CLAIMED to have performed dense pack surgery when clearly they did not.

Those who did not perform dense pack procedures claimed they were justified because the ultimate growth yield would be far lower due to damage to the blood supply. Will this false justification EVER go away?

For those patients and doctors who still don't get it, it is OK to dense pack grafts IF, and only IF, small blades, GENUINE microscopic and ultra-refind methods are used CONSISTENTLY.

Here is an example of an ultra dense pack only 4 months after surgery. For now forget about the incredible rate of speed with which this patient started growing, and focus on the area.

In the before photo you can see a triangle was drawn around the perimeter of BALD skin in what I call a temple triangle. Use his large birth mark as a reference point. Then look at the bottom photo and see how dense this same area is only 4 month later after 70 grafts per cm sq were implanted into that area. Use the birth mark as a reference to compare to the before photo to confirm that this hairy area are actually grafts.

When you look for an HT doctor PLEASE make sure they are advocates of DENSE PACKING. I will post "hairjet" case in few days with all photos, but I felt it would be very educational for newbies and veterans alike to see this result as a testiment to the NECESSITY of dense packing.

Dr. Feller

http://www.fellermedicaldata.com/images/hairjet/1.jpg

With all of the thick, hairy heads that have been crossing the border from Canada (H&W) and departing the East Coast (Feller) for several years now, it's hard to believe ANYONE could make an argument that dense packing is an inferior method by virtue of the claim that it poses yield problems. There are MANY well documented cases to prove otherwise.

Dr. Feller For the Record:

-what amount of grafts per square cm would you say qualifies as "dense-packing?"

-what are the most grafts you've placed per square cm?

Dr. Feller,

Thank you for posting this.

For all the prospective patients reading this, I think you should also add when dense packing is and is not appropriate.

Clearly patients with higher degrees of hair loss must decide whether or not they want a highly densed pack frontal third or a less dense, but full coverage result that may indeed look more natural.

It takes the right skills and a lot of tools to dense pack. However, in my opinon, dense packing is not appropriate for every patient as one must take into account the patient's age, hair loss condition, future risk of hair loss, transplanting around how much natural hair density, hair characteristics, etc.

Bill

Nice work Dr. Feller,

I agree with Bill, I believe a dense pack, front-loaded HT on a NW 6 cries out HT. This patient shown is obviously not NW 6 but if he has future hairloss, a dense front is not the best play IMO. I am NW 5-6, and am going with light coverage in the back. If I had the grafts to spare, I would absolutely want dense pack, some of us just dont have the option.

It is important that the patient and doctor plan as a team and focus on the future as well as the present.

That hairline looks great by the way, I am jealous!

NoBuzz