Assumptions

dhuge67

Is it safe to assume that if you go to some of the highly reputable MDs mentioned on this site, that you'll come away with at the very least no damage, and at the most, a really great result?

Is there anything about the doctors practicing Ultra Refined FUT, that is common amongst all of them, which makes the great ones great?

What are the signs of a good doc compared to a bad one?

Also, why has it become almost a given that Bosley is terrible, for exmaple?

Dr. Pistone has performed over 6,000 operations and his credentials are impeccable. His patient photos seem good to me, and the fact that he's faculty at Thomas Jefferson and Drexel University Schools' of Medicine. Are there any flaws in his credentials?

http://www.drpistone.com/About-Dr.-Pistone/Hair-Restoration/

As you can probably guess, I'm a bit nervous right now.

1,614 with Dr. Pistone on 2/3/06 in Marlton, NJ.

As long as the moon shall rise

As long as the rivers flow

As long as the sun shall shine

And the grass will grow

Let me listen, I will learn to speak

The old language

Yes, I yearn to bathe in blue skies

And fall apart from the world of machines

Regain my feet and my pounding heart

My Hair Loss Weblog

Is it safe to assume that if you go to some of the highly reputable MDs mentioned on this site, that you'll come away with at the very least no damage, and at the most, a really great result?

Is there anything about the doctors practicing Ultra Refined FUT, that is common amongst all of them, which makes the great ones great?

What are the signs of a good doc compared to a bad one?

Also, why has it become almost a given that Bosley is terrible, for exmaple?

Dr. Pistone has performed over 6,000 operations and his credentials are impeccable. His patient photos seem good to me, and the fact that he's faculty at Thomas Jefferson and Drexel University Schools' of Medicine. Are there any flaws in his credentials?

http://www.drpistone.com/About-Dr.-Pistone/Hair-Restoration/

As you can probably guess, I'm a bit nervous right now.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Well that's an excellent question. The problem is credentials can be deceptive. Check out this doctor:

http://www.medicalhairrestoration.com/locations_boston.html#magdalin

Dr. Magdalin appears to have excellent credentials, but in reality he does poor work. Do a search on a user called Mahair.

As far as Bosley goes, they claim that they are the best and have developed almost every major advance in hair restoration. In reality they are more about marketing and "selling" you a transplant than actual quality work. Thanks to open forums like this, we know that now.

To answer your question, yes in general you won't be disfigured or anything like that IF you go to one of the top doctors. But there is always the possibility of ending up worse than you are today.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Originally posted by Gorpy:

To answer your question, yes in general you won't be disfigured or anything like that IF you go to one of the top doctors. But there is always the possibility of ending up worse than you are today.

How can this be?

You know, that makes me feel really good right before my first HT. :/icon_frown.gif

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

Chris,

When researching for an HT, you want to leave no stone unturned, right? After all, the whole HT thing is about an appearance we're wanting to achieve. So, quality is ultra important, correct?

To me, the opinions posted on this site are invaluable. Do I want to see the credentials of the surgeon I plan to use? Sure. Pictures of past work? Yes. However, I would place a higher value on the opinions and personal satisfaction of those having gone to the surgeon in the past.

Viewing past posts on this site.........it sounds like Bosley or MHR may give you decent results, or, depending on who performs the procedure, maybe not.

To me, selecting from the coalition members referenced on this site was the choice. There have been others mentioned here that were not members and have done great work. But, each of these coalition members were exclusively selected based on their ethics, skill and results.

I've been reading your posts.....have you checked with your doc about a refund of the deposit? If he's ethical and you have second thoughts, it's hard to believe he wouldn't return it to you, or at least the majority of it.

Hairbank

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Originally posted by hairbank:

Chris,

I've been reading your posts.....have you checked with your doc about a refund of the deposit? If he's ethical and you have second thoughts, it's hard to believe he wouldn't return it to you, or at least the majority of it.

Hairbank

I'm only having second thoughts because of what people here have said. However, I DO believe that an HT IS appropriate for me at this time.

And the grass will grow

The old language

My Hair Loss Weblog

I only say that because you could end up with a net loss of hair due to shock loss or the transplant itself accelerating your MPB. I'm not saying it will happen, just that it is a possibility.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

D, you have to understand no matter what Dr you decide to go with there will always be a risk of somthing going wrong "i am not trying to scare you", it still is surgery and these Dr's are human. I have been threw 2 HT's and I am only 29 my first surgery was a waste of money my second done by feller so hopefully I will get the results I am looking for. I really think since you live in E PA you have access to some great dr's in the ny-li area use them even if its just for the free consultation. At this point in your hairloss "20" I would be carefull and use all the resources around you.

1045 FUT "hairline" with Dr Feller on Nov 05

825 "hairline" with Dr Loria "saw so so results" on Jan 01

MHR 325 "hairline" micro/mini 's 1999 "big mistake"

• Administrators

Dhuge,

There certainly is no perfect or definative information on any subject, including hair transplantation. But this community has been around for well over five years - with thousands of hair loss sufferers and patients sharing their experiences on this forum.

This is a great collective wealth of information based not on marketing hype but actual experiences. That is why I often encourage people to use the "Find" feature to search the over 100,000 posts on this forum.

Based on this information and on research and visits to leading clinics a group of leading surgeons has emerged as consistantly providing truly state of the art hair transplantation. Only those surgeons and clinics who have such a proven track record of success are presented on this community.

The physicians in the Coalition in particular represent those physicians who have demonstrated a very high mastery of follicular unit hair transplantation over time. They have all also stepped up to doing Ultra Refined Follicular Unit Hair Transplantation. To learn more about the selection criteria, click here.

This list is certainly not a "definative" list of ALL outstanding surgeons. But I do believe that all members of the Coalition in particular are truly outstanding. Dr. Pistone may very well be doing quality follicular unit grafting. But not that much is known about him on this community.

Thus people tend to go to physicians who have a known and proven track record of consistantly good results.

As they say "the past is the best predictor of the future".

I know that you got plenty of input regarding whether to do or not do surgery at your young age of twenty on the other thread on this forum. Now it's up to you to make the decision that is best for you.

I hope the choice you make will prove to be wise when you look back at it when you are thirty or forty.

Best wishes, Pat

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.