Results that defy logic -- doctors, experts and others please comment

Here's what I've been wondering about for years... Take the guy below in this video as an example:

http://glock08.tripod.com/Rockwell/Hair.wmv

And here is a link to his blog on this web site:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...e-page.asp?WebID=122

My understanding is that on the most simplistic level, transplant results pretty much come down to the surgeon's skill, quality of donor area, extent of hair loss, and patient physiology. Now, take the guy in the video as a case study...

Here is a guy with extensive balding who formerly wore a hair piece, and he certainly doesn't have a jaw dropping donor area by any stretch of the imagination. The guy did start Minoxidil and Propecia at some point, but I would think it's doubtful that they had much more than a stabilizing effect at his stage of the game. This guy got 4300+ grafts from Dr. True. Now, I know Dr. True is a fine surgeon... but this guy is brushing through his hair in the video as if he's Elvis Presley. I don't get it.

Another thing of note is that his 9/10 month photos on his blog look a bit thin.. and then somehow by fourteen months he's got a mop. Do patients really thicken up to such an extent from 10-14 months? What do people attribute to his result?

Dr. Cooley was kind enough to comment recently on something I brought up regarding dormant non-transplant hair waking up after surgery. Could this be the explanation? I have seen a bunch of examples of guys like these... Patients who have average or even below average donor characteristic, extensive balding, and results that are on a whole other level. Everyone comments and says "amazing", "incredible result", etc. but no one ever brings up the fact that even with the finest surgeon and technique... something just doesn't quite fit together. It's very confusing.

Could anyone help shed some light on this? I can come up with a bunch of other examples if anyone would like to see them. Thanks in advance.

Here's what I've been wondering about for years... Take the guy below in this video as an example:

http://glock08.tripod.com/Rockwell/Hair.wmv

And here is a link to his blog on this web site:

http://www.hairtransplantnetwo...e-page.asp?WebID=122

My understanding is that on the most simplistic level, transplant results pretty much come down to the surgeon's skill, quality of donor area, extent of hair loss, and patient physiology. Now, take the guy in the video as a case study...

Here is a guy with extensive balding who formerly wore a hair piece, and he certainly doesn't have a jaw dropping donor area by any stretch of the imagination. The guy did start Minoxidil and Propecia at some point, but I would think it's doubtful that they had much more than a stabilizing effect at his stage of the game. This guy got 4300+ grafts from Dr. True. Now, I know Dr. True is a fine surgeon... but this guy is brushing through his hair in the video as if he's Elvis Presley. I don't get it.

Another thing of note is that his 9/10 month photos on his blog look a bit thin.. and then somehow by fourteen months he's got a mop. Do patients really thicken up to such an extent from 10-14 months? What do people attribute to his result?

Dr. Cooley was kind enough to comment recently on something I brought up regarding dormant non-transplant hair waking up after surgery. Could this be the explanation? I have seen a bunch of examples of guys like these... Patients who have average or even below average donor characteristic, extensive balding, and results that are on a whole other level. Everyone comments and says "amazing", "incredible result", etc. but no one ever brings up the fact that even with the finest surgeon and technique... something just doesn't quite fit together. It's very confusing.

Could anyone help shed some light on this? I can come up with a bunch of other examples if anyone would like to see them. Thanks in advance.

That is one of the best results from a single HT that I have ever seen.

I would say that it is down to good hair characteristics. He appears to have pretty coarse hair.

He styles it straight back which is going to make it look thicker. Note it doesn't look so hot when he brushes it forward.

The vast majority of the grafts were placed on top of the head and the crown got very few. This makes the hairline look particularly good.

Also, in the video when he is brushing his hair the lighting is a tad dark. He has been fair with the pics though and there are times when the hair is pretty see through.

All in all an amazing result. Certainly not the norm for that many grafts.

-----------------------------------------

2425 FUE - Dr Armani - Nov 2007 (poor result)

1000 FUE Procedure with Dr. Bisanga - March 25th 2010 (great result)

1599 FUE Procedure with Dr. Bisanga - Feb 3rd 2011

My Hair Loss Website