Hair Replacement and HT Density

I wear a lace hair replacement and it looks very natural. Back in July I had a HT which is still "cooking" so I'm still wearing the hair replacement until it is ready. My doctor told me that he would be able to get my density close to that of my hair replacement. All of the posts I have read on here indicate that the HT recipient is thrilled with their results. I am guessing that these are guys that didn't wear a hair replacement and were bald or had very thin hair so any thickening of the hair was a godsend.

Is there anyone out there that wore a hair replacement and then got a HT? I'd love to hear what the difference was between the hair replacement and the HT as far as density goes. I'm not expecting a huge bush of hair on my head and I'm not sure I'd even want that but I would like the results to cover my head adequately and not look like I am balding if the light hits it wrong or it gets wet.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

I wear a lace hair replacement and it looks very natural. Back in July I had a HT which is still "cooking" so I'm still wearing the hair replacement until it is ready. My doctor told me that he would be able to get my density close to that of my hair replacement. All of the posts I have read on here indicate that the HT recipient is thrilled with their results. I am guessing that these are guys that didn't wear a hair replacement and were bald or had very thin hair so any thickening of the hair was a godsend.

Is there anyone out there that wore a hair replacement and then got a HT? I'd love to hear what the difference was between the hair replacement and the HT as far as density goes. I'm not expecting a huge bush of hair on my head and I'm not sure I'd even want that but I would like the results to cover my head adequately and not look like I am balding if the light hits it wrong or it gets wet.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

Time to do something:

What is your NW pattern? You stated you have a lace system; How is it attached? Polyfuse? I wore a system (probably every conceivable kind) for 18 years. Every HT consult I had, the Dr. emphatically stated that they can NOT recreate the same thickness as a hair system. An age appropriate hairline is what I was after. Density would again depend on your NW level, number of grafts you received and your own hair characteristics.

I had enough grafts to cover a large area which is thin coverage, but my hair thickness helped out quite a bit. I had a lot of ground to cover and know I need more than one HT to get an illusion of density.

My departure from the hair system was more radical. I just shaved my head. The freedom from not having to worry about maintenance, looks, vacationing next to a franchise (just in case) etc.,each and every day is beyond explanation and outweighed the humility I felt going bald overnight. You really have to be there to know the lows and highs of having a hair system. I am sure once you are off the system for good, you will be a much happier person and be able to enjoy life to the fullest.

Wish you the best.

Glock08

My Hair Loss Weblog

Dr. True 9/22/06

4326 grafts

2129 1's

2168 2's

6545 Total Hairs

Glock08:

Good questions. I knew I was going to leave something out. I looked at the NW chart and I think I am a 5. My hair is very thick and each individual hair is "fat" so I'm told that will help with the illusion of density. I have a relatively narrow area directly on top of my head that is bald or very thin the exception would be a spot just in front of my crown where the hair still goes all the way across my head. I am currently attaching it with clips due to the HT and pulling it below the transplanted hairline in the font and using a water based glue. My doctor moved my hairline back a little to not only fit the age appropriateness but to save more hairs for other areas. I've always used the glue in the front for a very natural appearance but I used doubled sided sticky tape around the rest of the perimeter before the HT. My doctor told me he could get close to the same density but not as thick which was ok with me. I just don't want to have hair that looks like I am balding when the light hits it or it gets wet so that is my concern.

I am prepared to have another procedure but I will have to decide in the coming months which route to go. I had 2520 grafts in the first procedure and will have that many on the second. What I need to determine is will the next 2520 go in the front for more density or will they go on the crown? That is going to be a BIG decision for me. The guy that cuts my hair and provides me with my lace replacements has numerous clients that have gone in for hair transplants and many of them have the same predicament that I do and that is what to do with the remaining grafts on the second procedure. What my stylist says many of them have done is elected to use the remaining grafts to thicken up the front and then he makes them a small lace piece for the crown. He says it is totally undetectable and has a client he wants me to see.

I am thinking this might be the way to go if I don't think the first procedure got it thick enough. I have been wearing a replacement for almost 20 years so I am used to any maintenance and reducing it to something the size of a silver dollar will be a walk in the park. I've read on this site where crowns are really hard to do because of the swirl pattern and require more hair than the front and in most cases all one can hope for is a light dusting of hair. In ten years we will probably have hair cloning perfected (although who knows what it will cost) so theoretically I could go back and get the crown done then. So, I guess I'm where many people have been before and in the next couple of months I need to figure out which road I'm going to take. Any feedback from anyone who has gone through this would be most appreciated. Thanks!

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

• Moderators

You say you've been wearing a hair replacement system for almost 20 years, so I'm guessing you're in the 40+ year old range. It also sounds like the bald area in your crown isn't that large of an area.

If those are true I think I would opt for trying to fill in the crown area on the next HT. You don't have to concentrate the entire 2500 to one area. If you want a bit more thickness in front then put 1000 to 1500 in the frontal half and the other 1000 to 1500 in the crown. You will hopefully end up with some good thickness in front with a little bit of thinning in back, but no bald area.

Once you start getting into the upper 40s in age people don't even pay attention to a little thinning. It's expected. It's well worth not having to bother with any hair system any more especially if you like to be active. Plus you won't have to pay for hair replacement maintenance anymore.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Be Happy,

Thanks a lot for your reply. You bring up some good points. I am 46 and you are correct my stylist tells me the bald spot on my crown is a little larger than a silver dollar. The only thing I am worried about is being that my hair is so thick on the sides and back if the top is thinner it won't match and look off balance. That is how I looked when I first started losing my hair and it wasn't an attractive look. I don't expect to have an extremely thick head of hair all over because you are right as one gets older it really isn't typical. However, I would like the top to be close to the density of the sides and back so it matches. The hair system is a pain that is why I finally want to get rid of it. I also think the older I get the more difficult it will be to maintain it.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

TTDS,

I personally think that you have to concentrate on the density of the frontal area first and foremost. Especially in your particular case because you are very concerned about having a thin look and want to attempt to match the density as best as possible to the sides. As it does not seem to bother you to have to consider a system for the crown and in your case will be very small I would have to think that this will be your best approach.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

NervousNelly,

I would have picked your name if it wasn't already taken because lately that is exactly what I feel like. Anyway what you say makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate your input it always helps to have someone else's opinion. With the advice I have received on this site the decision day will be easier. I suppose the bottom line is I won't know until the HT has matured and I can see if I am happy with the frontal density.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts