I am 18 years old and I've developed one of my worst nightmares in the past year - a receeding hairline. I've always had thick hair and as a kid people made comments about "Well HE'S not gonna have to worry about hairloss!" so I never thought anything about it. I have been in denial for a while, but it's obvious. I refuse to allow my hair to fall out like this. I can understand if I'm losing it and I'm 40 years old, but I'm 18. I really don't know what to do, or where to start, so I would appreciate any and all advice! Thank you SO much!

Kyle

I am 18 years old and I've developed one of my worst nightmares in the past year - a receeding hairline. I've always had thick hair and as a kid people made comments about "Well HE'S not gonna have to worry about hairloss!" so I never thought anything about it. I have been in denial for a while, but it's obvious. I refuse to allow my hair to fall out like this. I can understand if I'm losing it and I'm 40 years old, but I'm 18. I really don't know what to do, or where to start, so I would appreciate any and all advice! Thank you SO much!

Kyle

Hi agen_kolar, I would suggest you start by being evaluated by a dermatologist to rule out any other causes for your suspect hair loss. If it turns out to be androgenetic alopecia, request a script from the doctor for Propecia. You are very young and right now, aside form perhaps Rogaine, that is your best solution. Do yourself a favor and wait until you consult with the doctor before you worry too much. Hopefully it's something of no consequence such as stress and can be reversable with time.

NSB has some good advice for you. Nothing to do at this point but possibly try meds if you have male-pattern-baldness.

At 18, your hairline just may be maturing and it might not be MPB. I remember from years 15-17 I had a little rescission but then no loss 'til it started in my crown around age 23.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 months later...
Guest Paul Taylor

Hi agen_kolar,

I think you've been given good advice in this forum.

However, I would like to add the following:

I personally believe prevention is better than cure and that, as soon as you first notice hair loss, you should tackle it head on.

Follicular Cell Implantation might become a fully tested, proven and affordable option for you within 5-10 years (Intercytex are doing trials right now by the way). But, there's no guarantee. So, by taking action now, you might be able to prevent or even reverse your hair loss. (Knowing that you're doing something positive to deal with it will certainly help put your mind at rest too).

Drugs are an option but, do you really want to start using them with all their possible side-effects? (Drug treatment for most people becomes an indefinite and expensive process).

Think hard before opting for minoxidil (Rogaine), finasteride (Propecia and Proscar) and dutasteride (Avodart). Natural pills, lotions and shampoos are another option you can look into. You can learn about all these products here -

(Link removed)

But, if you do have androgenetic alopecia (male pattern baldness) I think you should read about Skull Expansion before you do anything else -

(Link Removed)

I hope this information helps, and you solve your hair loss problem soon.

Paul Taylor.

Moderator note: Promotional links and solicitations are not allowed here. Please refer to our terms of service.

Bill - Associate Publisher and Co-Moderator of the Hair Transplant Network

Hi

Yes, we undertsand how you feel. See a doc first before you start freaking out. A maturing hairline can be natural even at 18 depending on the amount.

Stay cool

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Skull expansion?

-HAHAHAHAHAHA

"Think hard before opting for minoxidil (Rogaine), finasteride (Propecia and Proscar) and dutasteride (Avodart). Natural pills, lotions and shampoos are another option you can look into. You can learn about all these products here - "

This is possibly the worst advice I've seen on this site.

Ever. WTF is wrong with you?

Rhodeman,

Thanks for the heads up.

Paul,

As you can see, you will have your hands full in this community. There are many educated hair loss sufferers that will not be duped nor let anyone else be duped by the promise of miracle cure products.

You are welcome to post here but solicitations are not permitted at any time.

I have removed all links in your post and your public profile.

But since you are against hair loss medication and promote the use of "all natural" products, why don't you provide convincing evidence to our community that any of these products work.

Cheers,

Bill