Density and area covered

The current trend is to press for higher densities. People discuss figures of 40+

FU per sq cm.While we can often achieve these densities it is important to realize that area must be considered as well. For instance when one states that he has been transplanted in a single session with a density of 45 FU/sq cm we need to know the area as well. The typical frontal half area is 90 -100 sq cm. Therefore we would expect that approximately 4000-4500 grafts were placed in the session. If less than that was placed then the density could not be 45 FU/sq cm. It may be that select areas are placed at the higher densities or perhaps DFU or larger grafts may havbe been placed, thus decreasing the number.

I will try to add some more comments on density a bit later

Paul T Rose, MD

612 965 4247

813 259 9889 office

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

The current trend is to press for higher densities. People discuss figures of 40+

FU per sq cm.While we can often achieve these densities it is important to realize that area must be considered as well. For instance when one states that he has been transplanted in a single session with a density of 45 FU/sq cm we need to know the area as well. The typical frontal half area is 90 -100 sq cm. Therefore we would expect that approximately 4000-4500 grafts were placed in the session. If less than that was placed then the density could not be 45 FU/sq cm. It may be that select areas are placed at the higher densities or perhaps DFU or larger grafts may havbe been placed, thus decreasing the number.

I will try to add some more comments on density a bit later

Paul T Rose, MD

612 965 4247

813 259 9889 office

Paul T. Rose, MD, JD

President ISHRS

Board of Trustees ISCLS

Dr. Paul Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

Im interested in your thoughts on density.I just had my 2nd procedure performed of 1400 grafts.I had the first 12 months ago with 1300 grafts.They said they were going to do the front to mid at 45cm/2 do you think it will turn out nice and dense.Ive got pics straight after the 2 procedure 11 days ago if you want to email me at damo666@westnet.com.au ill send them to you.

Rgds

Damo

Dr. Rose,

Bingo-- that is what I've been saying for year, especially when patients say they have/or are having HT with 60-65 FU/sq-- in a normal head of hair, there is not enough donor to cover that many Fu/sq for the entire scalp-- maybe not even 1/2 the scalp. As you stated, some areas of the scalp might have 40-45 but unless a patietn has EXTREMELY dense donor, it is almost impossible for the entire scalp.

I've seen pics of patients with 30 FU/sq and 40 FU/sq on the frontal core and you can not tell the difference.

Great thread. There is a balance between "density" and "area covered" and you CAN'T have a lot of "both"... There's just not enough donor supply. This is something that the newer patients need to totally understand.

Lots of guys get "starry eyed" when certain doctors hype their ability to do "high density". They don't realize that the doctor may be burning up a lot of their limited donor supply, and the patient will end up shortchanged elsewhere on their scalp, as they continue to lose hair. This kind of high density "show boating" indicates a blatant disregard for the patient and their future.

Hi Arfy,

I want to commend you on your wisdom regarding the realities of surgical hair restoration as demonstrated by your many posts. I think we veterans know all too well that it is not a "cure" for hairloss (and neither are the medicinal regimens when you think about it). I concur that younger males considering proceedures must understand this.

I blame the slick marketing of the HR conglomerates for promoting questionable results and expectations. Men with luxurious, flowing heads of hair in a variety of styles are depicted engaging in physical and social activities often accompanied by attractive women. The implication is that a "pre baldness" level of density and coverage has been recreated. If they are indeed real patients and not actors/models, I would like to know just how much work they had and what was the extent of their hairloss.

Of course, a "full head of hair" is relative and means different things to different people.

The illusion of coverage may not be the best choice of words as the hair is very much real. I prefer to think of mature men who may not have the most full, thick, or gorgeous hair but don't "look bald" either. I think this is a more tangible concept.

I accept that even under the best of circumstances and with the latest technology, I'm always going to be a balding guy. My coping abilities about this at 41 are much different than at 21. I couldn't care less about my crown but would like refinment of my prior work, especially improving the hairline and more frontal density.

PCC

PCC hair restoration is all about the artistry skill involved in making your hair look dense.As we know that we dont have enough donor for the entire head the surgeons have to be good at making it sort of look like a illusion.Making not enough hairs go along way.

Damo

http://www.inperth.com.au/users/damo/